Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

another noob to the tank world

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

another noob to the tank world

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 10:35 AM
68charger
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default another noob to the tank world

Hey all just bought my son a Heng Long M26 from amazon its the S&S version I have been reading up herefor awhileand this has sparked my hobby bone again(years of gas and electric stuff)I'm trying to decide what upgrades do I do first? this will mostly be for play so I want to make it durable as I can, I see there are gear box upgrades should this be my first point of attack? I want to be able to drive this around the yard in medium grass with out frying things.
Old 12-13-2010, 12:56 PM
diabolic-mind

Default RE: another noob to the tank world

from what ive read your going to want the 3:1 gearbox, that will give you the power needed to cruise around the yard with any problems. that is first on my list of things to get followed by motors, then metal tracks and drive wheels. im picking up a bettery battery tonight also to give it better run times. luckily my local hobby shop has several different battereis to choose from and im going with a 7.2volt 4500mah! let the long run times begin!
Old 12-13-2010, 01:06 PM
Eggman1965
My Feedback: (3)

It'll do that (drive around the garden) right out of the box but most guys here would recommend that you install "3:1" low ratio gear boxes for better performance. My HL Tiger I runs like a...well... like a tank and I have the stock metal boxes that almost all the HL tanks come with. My advise would be to cut your grass short, build some dirt trenches, hills and obstacles and drive the heck out of you new tank making sure to have a blast the whole time. Then, if you wear out your stock boxes or fry your RX18 board (both of which you most likely won't do) get low ratio boxes and another RX18 board. Just watch out for gravel and twigs which can cause tracksand/or idler wheelsto break. Make sure to take pics and video and above all HAVE FUN. If you want your airsoft cannon to shoot across your whole yard we can help you achieve that goal as well.

Welcome Aboard!
Old 12-13-2010, 01:50 PM
swathdiver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get metal gears for the stock ratio gearbox. You do not need a reduction ratio set as it will discourage the kids, way too slow. Metal tracks and sprockets will make it more durable too. The Pershing's sprocket is like a lawn mower. After adding the metal tracks and gearboxes, add about 1/2lb of fishing weights to the front of the tank to balance it out better. This will improve its performance in grass and climbing.

You can also add a cooling fan for the electronics to keep them cool when your kid is trying to grind up rocks and mulch with the sprockets! A small supply of spare parts will keep the tank UP and not down for repairs. These are tanks afterall and they are prone to break down just like the real thing, part of the realism!

If your boy is discouraged by its slow speed add a set of Graupner Speed400 type motors. You will definitely need the fan in such case. Speed400s can be hard to come by, I think one of my buddies, The Blitz, sells a similar motor from Germany now. Check with him too.

If he has a nasty habit of driving through water you can move the switches up and seal the lower hull to make it waterproof to about the height of the road wheels.

If it comes with metal gears, before running the tank, take it apart and break in the gears or they will bind up and short out the board or self-destruct.
Old 12-13-2010, 02:44 PM
Imnotanace

Welcome to the Addiction It's all good. I just got my second tank today and got my first last week
Ron
Old 12-13-2010, 05:06 PM
olfart

Nice, you still have grass to drive on lol. We are in snow mode here.
Old 12-13-2010, 05:10 PM
Perry S.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes I agree on the 3:1's........After all, you don't have 3:23's in that Charger do you?

Perry
Old 12-14-2010, 08:40 AM
68charger
My Feedback: (1)

Thanks for all the info I have beendoing alot of reading here so I'll try to refrain from asking redundant questions but I do have to say everytime I have tried to use the search button its give me an error message so not sure if that my laptop or the site? Cant wait till it gets here I have to admit that I'am looking forward to playing around with itI feel this will be something me and my son will really get into.

Perry your correctno 3.23s in theCharger it has 4.56's in it