Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Tamiya Panther G Charging Jack

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Tamiya Panther G Charging Jack

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 01:00 PM
RodgerB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tamiya Panther G Charging Jack

I am building a Tamiya Panther G and would like to install a remote charging jack for the batteries? Is there a setup offf the shelf ready or do Ineed to scratch build one?
Thanks in advance for any info.
r
Old 12-14-2010, 01:16 PM
Jeff489
My Feedback: (12)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Tamiya Panther G Charging Jack

Scratch build only that I'm aware of.
Old 12-14-2010, 01:26 PM
pcomm1

ORIGINAL: RodgerB

I am building a Tamiya Panther G and would like to install a remote charging jack for the batteries? Is there a setup offf the shelf ready or do Ineed to scratch build one?
Thanks in advance for any info.
r
Alan from SCAT posted this design diagram and parts list on their web site.

I have used it in the past, but as we all should know, there is a always some fire risk involved in charging a battery while in the tank.

Don't take your eyes off the model when your charging the installed battery.

Old 12-14-2010, 03:08 PM
Panther G

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bad idea. Never good practice to charge batteries in the tank. with the ease that the upper hull comes off the Panther G it is really an unnessesary mod. just my opinion. You cant hot swap 0packs in between battles. We usually switch packs after each battle. One on the charger one int he tank. i use upto 6 packs at a time so I need multiples. Just not a good habit to get into. And I dont care what any of the guys who do it say. It is just not a good practice. all it takes is one bad cell to destroy a 800.00 tank ONE.
Old 12-14-2010, 05:22 PM
olfart

I agree with Panther G. I'm not sure what kind of plastic Tamiya uses, but if it is PVC like HL tanks, the smoke is extremely toxic.
Old 12-14-2010, 05:38 PM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Panther G

Bad idea. Never good practice to charge batteries in the tank. with the ease that the upper hull comes off the Panther G it is really an unnessesary mod. just my opinion. You cant hot swap 0packs in between battles. We usually switch packs after each battle. One on the charger one int he tank. i use upto 6 packs at a time so I need multiples. Just not a good habit to get into. And I dont care what any of the guys who do it say. It is just not a good practice. all it takes is one bad cell to destroy a 800.00 tank ONE.

Unless your tank is metal.

I do it all the time, and have never had an issue. One day I might, but I use a good quality charger, and never leave them alone. My latest technique keeps the HL battery box intact, and I can swap a battery as easy as if I never made the mod.

Still, G has a point, so consider yourself warned.

Old 12-14-2010, 06:41 PM
Panther G

Like i said YHR, i know there are those that do it all the time but it's just not for me. I always use a very good charger also, but then again i hot swap packs frequently so on board charging is not practicle for me as turn around can be very fast for battles.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:29 PM
pcomm1

2 more cents:

• For those people who don't feel lucky about charging their tank battery while mounted in their prized model, a good, safe way to home-garage-shop charge the tank battery is to place the tank battery in a cheap new terra cotta flower pot.

First sit the flower pot on a a 12' square of ceramic tile and thencharge the battery.

• Don't remember where I saw the RC tip, but it seems to offer some protection from buring down the work bench or worse; if the battery goes bad while on the charger.

• And who really watches a tank battery go through its charge cycle from start to finish?

• And agreed the Tamiya Panther, Jagdpanther, KV's and Sherman have good battery removal access with the top half of the tank easy to dismount.

• The Tamiya Tiger's, Pershing and the Pz4 are not so simple to charge and removing the battery from the hull for charging is more difficult.

• Many charge those tanks by pulling the turret off or lifting the top deck up and leaving the battery in place, because it is simple and fast and doesn't upset things.

•So perhaps, in some cases a chargingsystem isn't all that bad an idea for those tanks.

• Installing a charging system seems a better route to go than having to mess up your careful interior hull wiring job every time you slide the battery out (Tamiya's recommendation); which is exactly what happens with the little Tamiya Pz4 monster.

• For me that is a pain worth eliminating by taking a careful risk and installing a charging system. LOL

Old 12-18-2010, 10:52 AM
RodgerB

Guess I'll scrub that idea? Thanks for the input.
r
Old 12-18-2010, 10:57 AM
Panther G

There's no need to scrub the idea. If you onlyintend to run your tank one charge time at a time then it's fine to do. There is just some risk. even using my high quality charger the batteries get quite warm, and i don't like that heat near my electronics. Also, again, i need to turn the tank around quickly so it is just not practicle for me.
We don't like to discourage anyone from modding their tanks to the way they want them.
There are just aspects to every mod that need to be addressed.
Old 12-18-2010, 11:46 AM
ksoc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a charger with adjustable charge rates, a temperature probe, and multiple memories (MRC Super Brain 989). So in theory I could set up a slower charge rate for in-tank vs out of tank batteries - the faster you try to charge a battery the hotter it gets. The temperature probe will cut the charger if the battery exceeds a predetermined level. While no guarantee, it is a nice backup.