Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

HELP, hl walker bulldog waterproofing?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

HELP, hl walker bulldog waterproofing?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 08:52 PM
diabolic-mind

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP, hl walker bulldog waterproofing?

just wondering if anyone can give me info or point me to a thread for waterproofing my bulldog. mainly where to move the switches to, and the dial for the speaker volume, and what needs to be sealed other than the holes where the switches were, and does the battery get relocated, or stay in the same spot? thanks
Old 12-19-2010, 09:23 PM
swathdiver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: HELP, hl walker bulldog waterproofing?

You can check out my build thread for some ideas. In our Walker the lower hull was sealed and the battery did stay below in the battery box but all the switches were moved to the rear. I made the actual battery doors operable. The rc battery hatch was sealed with RTV to keep the water out.

Don't forget to add about 1/2lb or so of lead ballast to the bow for better traction and climbing.

All potential leak points were sealed with Permatex Clear RTV. Cheap, Fast, Simple.

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_6530883/anchors_6530883/mpage_1/key_Panzerkampfwagen/anchor/tm.htm#6530883]Swathdiver's Walker Bulldog Build Thread[/link]
Old 12-19-2010, 09:47 PM
diabolic-mind

perfect, thats exactly what i was looking for, thanks man!!
Old 12-20-2010, 05:14 AM
candycab

I grabbed a tube of RTV and sealed everything up to the body line on my Panzer III.

Even went around the output shafts then sealed the gap with grease so far its worked perfectly.

I live on the edge of a National Forrest [ North end of Los Padres ] so the Arroyo Seco River runs about a hundred yards behind my house.

There is a nice spill way there where a road goes across the River and makes for a great place to ford several inches of water, unless its been raining like it has recently and the water is going about 15 MPH and a several feet higher than usual

All I need now is an RC Schwimmwagen

Ahh heck I will throw a few pics up.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54598.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	150.6 KB
ID:	1536299   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50990.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	212.2 KB
ID:	1536300   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37369.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	126.5 KB
ID:	1536301   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay73694.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	137.2 KB
ID:	1536302  
Old 12-20-2010, 10:03 AM
swathdiver

Absolutely gorgeous!
Old 12-20-2010, 10:25 AM
dash69

Beautiful, Can you post it crossing water sometime. I too have a Bulldog. THough not waterproof yet it has gone through some shallows and made it. One of my favorite tanks I own.

Be well,

David
Old 12-20-2010, 10:53 AM
diabolic-mind

im actually debating on moving the switches up to the hatch where the switch to turn off the airsoft gun is, i gotta take a look at it and see if its going to work. ill post some results up if i put them there
Old 12-20-2010, 11:20 AM
swathdiver

Keep in mind that too many wires can jam a rotating turret or blow the FET on the board. Been there, done that. Not saying it cannot be done, it can with the right set up taking into account the gauge and pliability of the wire and how they're routed and organized.

With my set up all the switches still reside in the lower hull. They're just now accessed from the back. The hinges and making the battery doors operable are easy to do, if I did, so can you! Taking the upper hull off still only entails disconnecting the antenna and 1 harness connector, keeping it simple.
Old 12-20-2010, 06:00 PM
candycab

ORIGINAL: dash69

Beautiful, Can you post it crossing water sometime. I too have a Bulldog. THough not waterproof yet it has gone through some shallows and made it. One of my favorite tanks I own.

Be well,

David
I will get some once the water goes down, I have been meaning too but never seem to take the Camera while out putting around. Tomorrow I will wonder down and get some current pics of the Spillway

I scavenged some magnets out of an old Hard drive and used them to secure the top of the Panzer without screws. I didn't feel like moving switches so I siliconed over the ON/OFF switch in the ON position and just unplug the Battery. Its worked great for me so that maybe an option to look at.

Old 12-21-2010, 04:59 AM
diabolic-mind

ultimately im going to relocate the switches up into the bb's loading hatch or possibly into the tank commanders hatch. i had a strange idea also of adding a key for the power switch. for this i was thinking of adding a key to the bottom of the TC and when i insert him into the TC's hatch and turn him into position it turns the tank on. this is just one of my random ideas and i may or may not do it just something i thought of. most likely the switches will end up in the hatches. i also plan to water proof it as much as possible so that deeper water wont be an issue.

for the time being when i run it outside in the snow after i turn it on i simply duct tape over the battery compartment, sound dial, and the 2 switches to keep snow out.

does anyone have a setup that allows the battery to remain in the tank for charging? id like to seal it completely into the tank and have a charging jack somewhere on it to connect to my peak charger.
Old 12-21-2010, 05:13 AM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Remember that when you move the power switch up on to the topside, you now are tethered to the lower half if you don't engineer in a connector.

Here is a set up on one of my tigers
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56784.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	1536788   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj26544.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	1536789  
Old 12-21-2010, 12:53 PM
swathdiver

ORIGINAL: diabolic-mind

...does anyone have a setup that allows the battery to remain in the tank for charging?

You didn't read my builds... []

Lots of pics and wiring diagrams on my build pages. [:-]
Old 12-21-2010, 04:12 PM
diabolic-mind

i skimmed through it, ill have to take another look through it.