Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

IR emitter ????

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 07:40 AM
Imnotanace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IR emitter ????

In the process of building my Tamiya KT, I would like to "hide" the ir emitter . I really do not like it all exposed on the barrel it don't look right . Any pics would help.
Also I would like to change the elevation unit to a servo. what size servo would it take? I don't like the slop in the original. pics here would help as well.

Thanks

Ron
Old 12-22-2010, 08:02 AM
sevoblast

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts
Default RE: IR emitter ????

On a KT, I put mine in the right side of the mantlet where the MG normally goes. Here's a photo of T 34, 2 KT's, a Panther, and a Sherman, showing 4 different ways to do the emitter.

Or you can do what I did on the JT, build a fake night vision system and put the emitter in the system.

For the actual tube to mount the emitter in, you can use the DP19 or DP20 emitter tubes on the etoarmour sight.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89351.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	1537265   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv62870.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	1537266   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ro41857.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	1537267  
Old 12-22-2010, 08:15 AM
Imnotanace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Sevoblast That looks much better on the mantlet. can that be added after the completion of the barrel assembly "I HOPE"
Did you also have the slop issue on the elevation unit?? I have almost 1/3 of the total travel of the barrel .

Ron
P.S. Very nice looking tank collection"ME LIKE"
Old 12-22-2010, 08:26 AM
sevoblast

It can be added after the mantlet and barrel has been assembled...very carefully.

The slop deal on the main gun is always a pain in the tail. I have been known to glue the clutch gear in the elevation unit and use a very strong spring to stop a lot of the play in the main tube. I have yet to try a servo, but that should work well. A mini servo will fit most anywhere. Part of the problem is the long and heavy main tube, and any play what so ever in the mechanism will be amplified.

As for the collection, the T 34 and Sov Panther belong to VCO, my charming wife. The other three are just part of the total zug floating around the house. Thanks for the compliments!
Old 12-22-2010, 09:28 AM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What I started doing on all my builds is including an IR socket in the mantlet. When not battling you remove it. This method also allows easy IR emitter replacement.

Here is a picture zoomed in to show the socket.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63291.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	115.6 KB
ID:	1537280  
Old 12-22-2010, 11:04 AM
sevoblast

As you can see from my photos, I use a perminant (no one ever said I could spell) installation on mine. The tube is installed in to the mantlet as needed for position, and the emitter is then installed from inside. I use automotive 'rope sealer', a never hardening modeling clay like material, to hold the emitter in place. It will give if needs be, and if you need to remove the emitter, you can easily take it out. I use the same material to hold in the hull MG. If I hit something, the MG will give way without breaking anything. NAPA has it by the meter.

Lowered apples are allowed in my AO. I know there's a lot of controversy about that, but my extensive tests show no advantage at all beyond cosmetic.
Old 12-22-2010, 06:40 PM
Panther G

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I tried a mini servo in my Pershing for ellevation but it was not strong enough to raise the gun properly. It had 17in . pounds of torque. you qould think that that would be plenty but it was not. so i used a full size servo and mounted it behind the recoil unit with a doubled up servo arem. I also made a track that mounted to the recoil unit for the arm to ride in. i used the small ball fitting for the connection. i also took the plastic ball mount adapter and cut the threaded part of to make basically a round bushing that ran inside the track for a smoother operation. It works great. 
 The H.E.A.T. web site has a whole tutorial on how to use a servo. the mountings are going to be up to you to make as each tank will need to be done a little different. It depends on how much space you have between the recoil unit and the turret side wall. I will try to get some pics of my set up to give you an idea of what it takes to do this. 
 Eliminating the clutch gear also helps. you can glue, heat weld or eyxy the clutch. i just use the blue gears from the Tamiya small project gear boxes to get the gears.