Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Sherman Blues

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 08:28 PM
torpedochief

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sherman Blues

Here we go guys. Need some advise.

I have installed the Heng Long recoil (Modified ala Bubba) and the Heng Long high voltage flash. Now when I fire the gun, it indeed recoils and flashes, but will not return to the battery position.

If I disconnect the High Voltage Flash it will shoot fine. In addition when I have the flash hooked up none of the other turret functions will work once I fire the first time. It is as iffthe High Voltage Flash is somehow cutting the power.

Any ideas?

Don
Old 12-23-2010, 07:42 PM
Bagheera

Default RE: Sherman Blues

Hey Don I'm doing the same recoil mod and so far it's not quite working yet. The instructions tells you need a ground but where is the best location and what type of diode voltage - wattage and number is needed.
The micro switch has to be ajusted to stut the motot down at the right time and the ground wire has to be on the open curcuit, do you think this is right. I have 8 tanks to do so far and 4 more tank projects after that
. If and when I get mine working I will let you know

Merry Christmas and all the Best

Cheers
John

__________________________________________________ _______________________________

HL Pershing x2, Tiger l, Jagd/Panther, Pzr lll x2, Stug. lll, Pzr lV f1/2 Tam Sherman Mat KT
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80975.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	1537824  
Old 12-23-2010, 08:19 PM
torpedochief

Hey John,

I think I found the problem that we are both having. The gear that trips the recoil engages a rack that has only two teeth. I don't think that allows enough travel with the modification.

I went back and looked at the post from Dan (YHR) and what he did was use the rack from the normal airsoft gun. It looks like it just might be the answer.

You might not need the diode at all. If you do I would use the N4004. Test it out then if you need move down to a N4002

Merry Xmas to you also my Tanker Brother!!

Don
Old 12-23-2010, 08:20 PM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry I can't help out much Don. I have never used the HL flash circuit. I have always used a superbrite LED. I can't really say for sure what is happening. It sounds to me like you don't have sufficent amperage to run the recoil motor. I usually harvest power from the smoker connection to run my gun recoil.

This may seem silly, but ensure you got fully charged batteries. I weak battery can cause all kinds of trouble duting the testing phase of a new idea. For all the low amp draw electronics everything appears to be working fine, but as soon as something like a motor starts drawing power, interesting things start to happen.

Old 12-23-2010, 08:26 PM
YHR

So the recoil motor was turning but not returning to fully extend????? You can either use a rack with more teeth, or use a stop inside the gun to stop the shorter rack where it needs to be. When I was doing these mods, I learned that the gun can recoil too far back, and then the rotating gear never engages the rack. Is this what is happening?

Dan
Old 12-23-2010, 08:47 PM
torpedochief

This is a strange one Dan. When I take it all apart and use just a battery to actuate the recoil it works like a dream. But when hooked to the RX-18 through the smoker plug it will either not return far enough to trip the micro switch, or trip it but then it recoils again.

With the high voltage flash hooked into the RX-18 it recoils but then seems like it has taken all the power from the turret functions.

So what I get is a recoil and flash, but no return and the goofy track recoil keeps going and going as does the cannon sound.

So I think I might not have enough teeth on the rack to let it return far enough.

As for why the high voltage flash steals all my turret power I have no idea.

Just the kind of mystery I enjoy.

Do you have that picture of how you added the donor rack? I can't find it anywhere.

Thanks

Don
Old 12-23-2010, 10:16 PM
YHR

Sorry. Can't find any pictures.
Old 12-23-2010, 10:54 PM
204sailor

Don, Here is what I would like you to try I`ve had some difficulties in the past with some of my tanks failing to return to battery or recoil as they should.
Remove the two wire plug that goes to CN3 on the rx18 board. and try firing the gun without it plugged in.The white wire that goes to CN3 is B+, and the orange wire is the strobe flash, so no harm will be done to the board while the plug is disconnected.For some unknown reason, while the plug is in
place , your new "application" may be in conflict with the B+ coming from the white wire.This pulls down the voltage to the recoil assy,and the gun doen`t have enough "poop" to over come the recoil spring and hangs up.

Charlie.
Old 12-27-2010, 06:08 PM
torpedochief

Attention to detail will get you every time!

After almost 2 weeks of trying to figure out why this gun would not recoil properly, I found that I neglected to add a switch in the RX-18.

Since My recoil is powered from the smoker power port, it needed a switch, just as the smoker would.

Now this bad boy flashes and recoils real nice like.

Don