Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

idea for speaker upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 08:29 PM
diabolic-mind

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default idea for speaker upgrade

hey guys just curious what you all might think. i had a bunch of parts laying around from really old laptops and amongst the parts i have 4 laptop speakers (2 pairs). i am curious as to how these might sound in my bulldog as laptops generally have decent sound quality. i know that 2 of the speaker are bose. im thinking i will mount 1 speaker in each corner of the lower hull. just wondering your opinions. im gonna try it out for the hell of it and ill let you know how it sounds!
Old 12-30-2010, 09:20 PM
Bagheera

Default RE: idea for speaker upgrade

Can I say it sounds like a great idea. It should work guite well. Try differant box designs and the speakers should be at the back. The HL Pershing has the speaker on the front and that didn't sound good so, a front engine tank I made the speaker for the back. I'm trying computer speaker next.

Cheers
John

__________________________________________________ ________________

HL Pershing x2, Tiger l, Pzr lll x2, Pzr lV F1.2, Stug. lll, Panther G, Jadgpanther. Tam Sherman, Mat King Tger
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx70539.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	153.5 KB
ID:	1540198  
Old 12-30-2010, 09:37 PM
yellowshaker
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with trying different type boxes to see what sounds best. Also use speaker insulation if you can, that helps to keep the sound better.
Old 12-30-2010, 11:08 PM
diabolic-mind

insulation as in dynamat? its the rolls of stuff they use for car stereos to dampen vibration. im going to experiment with placing the speakers in various locations until i feel im getting the best sound quality. i havent started on it yet but i will be trying it out tommorrow. is there any risk of damaging the multi control unit running 4 speakers? i kinda have a feeling they wont as they are much smaller than the one in it. but its hard telling really.

i also was debating on how easily it would be to have a powered speaker in it. have it just using the sound input with its own power source. i have a set of external laptop speakers that are powered and they are powered from a usb port which is only 5 volts.
Old 12-31-2010, 07:46 AM
Panther G

Better make sure they are 8 ohm speakers or you will burn the amp out in the RX 18. And if you run 2 speakers they will need to be 16 ohm. You cant just throw any old speaker in these HL tanks.
Old 12-31-2010, 09:20 AM
Dmon1996

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I installed a pair of speakers from an old Dell laptop in my Sherman with no boxes - worked great!
Old 12-31-2010, 10:36 AM
diabolic-mind

lol one of the laptops i got the speakers out of was a dell too. still havent gotten around to putting them in it yet, hopefully by tonight i can get them in.
Old 12-31-2010, 08:17 PM
diabolic-mind

well i tried both pairs of the speakers and they sound about the same as the stock speaker. so for now im going to stick with the stock speaker until i can find a better upgrade for it. im thinking something with its own power source that has high mid and low speakers to cover the whole spectrum of sound better. should make for a tight fit getting something like that in it lol
Old 01-01-2011, 10:22 AM
karel47

have anyone tried BOSE boxes these are very little and are famous for quality of the sound they produce,an idea from my son, if he see what amount of money some guy's spend on their electronics then is this bose boxes not so expensive for the highest quality aviable to play sounds through as they were intended
A thought maybe
Old 01-01-2011, 05:41 PM
diabolic-mind

anyone know if a 4 ohm speaker is safe to use in the bulldog?
Old 01-01-2011, 05:47 PM
Bagheera

Yep 4ohm speakers would work
Old 01-01-2011, 06:38 PM
diabolic-mind

i went ahead and wired it in. the engine running noises are about the same. the machine gun however sounds incredible. it has a really nice clear rumble to it. that along with the machine gun light being re-wired to the coaxial led makes for a real nice look and feel. ill get another video up as soon as i can.
Old 01-01-2011, 06:55 PM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I use 4 ohm speakers, but they do stress the amp circuit, causing overheating and possible failure. Never happened to me yet, but be warned. If you want you can wire two four speakers in series and get the 8 ohms you need to make your board happy.
Old 01-01-2011, 07:01 PM
Panther G

Thats wrong YHR 2 4's in series gets you 2 ohms which will burn the amp you need 8 ohm speakers for a single and 16 ohm speakers for doubles. Trust me on this stuff guys.
Old 01-01-2011, 07:09 PM
diabolic-mind

it seems to be working without an issue this far. if it did fry the amp circuit would it kill the whole multifunction unit or just the sound aspect of it?
Old 01-01-2011, 07:34 PM
Perry S.

ORIGINAL: Panther G

Thats wrong YHR 2 4's in series gets you 2 ohms which will burn the amp you need 8 ohm speakers for a single and 16 ohm speakers for doubles. Trust me on this stuff guys.
Two 4 ohm speakers in series will yield 8 ohms not 2.

Perry
Old 01-01-2011, 07:43 PM
YHR

?????

I would like to trust you G, but in this case you are wrong If they were wired in parallel you would be right, but I didn't say that.
Old 01-01-2011, 07:47 PM
YHR

ORIGINAL: diabolic-mind

it seems to be working without an issue this far. if it did fry the amp circuit would it kill the whole multifunction unit or just the sound aspect of it?

I don't know. I have yet to fry one, but people tell me I am playing with fire only runing a 4 ohm speaker.

Old 01-01-2011, 08:16 PM
Spitvalve

Huh? Add resistance in series (4+4=8), add the reciprocal values and flip the result for parallel (1/4+1/4=1/2=2).

Mike.
Old 01-01-2011, 09:02 PM
diabolic-mind

how would i run 2 of them in series? would it be + output to speakers +, then the speakers - to the other speakers +, then that speakers negative to the boards -? and would it be safe to run 2 of the size speakers im using? there about 2 and a half inches across the surface of the cone, and the magnets on them are massive.
Old 01-01-2011, 10:11 PM
YHR

Wire one pole for each speaker together. Output from board goes to open terminals left on the speakers.
Old 01-02-2011, 02:44 AM
diabolic-mind

thanks
Old 01-02-2011, 07:50 AM
Panther G

Yes thats correct It has been awhile and I do get the series and parallel thing mixed up sometimes.
Old 01-02-2011, 07:59 AM
diabolic-mind

now the challenging part, the JBL speaker im using has awesome sound for the deep aspect of the tanks noises, like the sound of the gun firing is really powerful, however the engine noises being a higher tone are on a frequency that seems to be out of the range of this speaker. so now i need something that is meant for high pitched sounds to get the engine sounding good again. it would seem that the ideal setup would be to have a high range speaker, a mid range speaker and a low range speaker in it to cover all aspects of the tanks sounds. for that though im pretty sure i would need some type of equalizer. is there any types of inexpensive EQ's or amps for these tanks that give you control of the full spetrum of sound?
Old 01-02-2011, 09:18 AM
YHR

You would be better off spending money on a good sound system first. El Mod or Benedini. With the HL sounds you are limited by how much you can improve them. Kind off a lipstick on a pig thing. ALthough I suppose if you come up with a mulit speaker idea it would be tranferrable to the better sound cards.

Not sure how you can fit all these speakers in a 1/16 scale tank. I have a hard enough time trying to find room for one!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.