Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

question about usning fans in HL tanks

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

question about usning fans in HL tanks

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 07:11 PM
diabolic-mind

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question about usning fans in HL tanks

just wondering if someone has a diagram or picture or some info on the best way of wiring a small fan into my tank. i have a couple 1 inch fans that are 5 volts that i wanted to put in my bulldog to help with cooling
Old 01-01-2011, 07:29 PM
Perry S.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: question about usning fans in HL tanks

I wonder if fans are really necessary for the new RX 18 boards. Not sure if you have one and I am just pontificating here but maybe they are a throw back to the old RX13 and 14 days. Are people still blowing up the 18's. I used to put fans on all my boards but that was in the olden days and have never had a problem with my 18's, even in heavy tanks.

To answer your question you can just parallel your fan to any of the pos and neg hotspots. some people use the the smoker jack. You might want to throw a resistor or diode to drop the 7. volts down to 5 volts.

Perry
Old 01-02-2011, 01:33 AM
Gerula

I don't think any aditional cooling is needed on the Rx18 if you run your tank in the stock version. If adding metal tracks, metal sprockets, metal gearboxes and so on, the increased weight will lead to increased amp draw, and cooling will be required.

Anyway, in my opinion, cutting offthe cover of the Rx18 (just the raised part in the middle, that holds the label) might do the trick in the bigger tanks (like Tiger).
Old 01-02-2011, 02:42 AM
diabolic-mind

well the speaker i added to my tank is much heavier so ill add a fan just to be safe.
Old 01-02-2011, 04:57 AM
pcsguy88

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had to add a fan to my RX-18's to keep them from overheating and basically shutting down in the summer. The tanks they were installed in weight 12 and 15lbs, so this might have something to do with it.

I just tap directly into the power cables running from the switch to the board so the fans start running when you turn the tank on. Just cut some holes in the cover of your RX-18 and mount the fan to it.
Old 01-02-2011, 05:22 AM
Wozwasnt

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I remove the smokers out of my tanks and use the socket to power the fan.
Old 01-02-2011, 06:22 AM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The only time I have noticed heat being a problem is in a aheavy tank without gear reduction. If you are planning on this, then yes a fan will be necessary.

Gear reduction solves the problem. I have a 12 pound Shrman that will run all day on a RX18, no fan. It does have a 3:1 gear reduction though.

However fans are cool. Not sure what you are using in your RX 18. The IR battle plug, has a couple of pins you could use to power a small 5 volt fan.

I harvested the one with the pins labeled from Darkiths website

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qn38302.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	1541106  
Old 01-02-2011, 06:55 AM
diabolic-mind

seeing as i dont use the smoker or even have it in my tank i think im just going to snip the plug off of it and use that to power my fan.