Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

HL Pershing, Depicting Korean War Version?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

HL Pershing, Depicting Korean War Version?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 05:16 AM
Glen B

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HL Pershing, Depicting Korean War Version?

I have tried the search feature without success.

I wanted to check to see how close the HL Pershing is to the version of thetankused in the Korean War and if it needed any (or many) modifications to make a passable representation?
Old 01-02-2011, 05:24 AM
Fireman Tim
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HL Pershing, Depicting Korean War Version?

Glen,

I believe it is. I painted my father's Perhsing up as a Korean War Pershing.

Pattoncommander would be the expert though.
Old 01-02-2011, 07:09 AM
pattoncommander

Glen, The HL Pershing is Korean era to include OD color, but a few things should be changed to make it authentic. Leave the phone box on the rear..the aux periscopes for driver & bog should be Dremelled off and a plate "welded' over the top. Those scopes were used only in the first 500 Pershings..generally, the skirts were removed and shxtcanned, but the Marines showed us a neat trick of folding up the 2 center sections and welding them in place. This provided two really great stowage sections for mg ammo....about 20 cans of 30 or a mix of 30 & 50 cal. Discard the front & rear skirts. Another arrangement is get rid of the skirts and "weld' a bar or a couple cables along the sponson boxes to hold the mg ammo boxes in place. (Can also be used with skirts.) In Korea, a tank needed all the mg ammo possible to carry. The way HL has them, they would be laying on the road 50 yards down the road. Also fender braces have to be added....a simple modeling task using soldering wire.....flatten out 2 sections for each the turnbuckle. Here are a couple photos to give you an idea. Don't forget to drill the coax mg hole in the mantlet.

Hope this helps.

I give up trying to post photos on this changed site..Email me and I'll send you some photos.

Bill
[email protected]
Old 01-02-2011, 08:06 AM
Glen B

email sent

ORIGINAL: pattoncommander

I give up trying to post photos on this changed site..Email me and I'll send you some photos.

Thanks for the offer of the photo's, the descriptions are great, and appreciated, but with my scrambled brain , pictures are best.

Old 01-02-2011, 12:29 PM
Rebellion13

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

I just tried uploading a pic, on the test section and it worked fine. weird

Wade
Old 01-02-2011, 06:54 PM
philipat

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

One other thought...decide who's Pershing you want to mimic.  The Marine Pershings used by the Fire Brigade at Naktong were straight out of the warehouses with single-pin tracks and full track skirts.  Most of them had transitioned to the double-pin tracks at the Inchon landing, but many still had the side skirts. 

As the war progressed, the skirts were removed.

If you're doing a Marine Pershing (my future plans), the book "Marines in Korea" has a lot of good pictures.
Old 01-04-2011, 01:57 PM
modelbob71

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One more thought. You could lengthen the barrel by 1 3/8" to get itin scale. Heng Long cut it short, probably for packing reasons.
If you do lengthen the plasticbarrel you will also have to get a longer aluminum barrel as well or the gun will not work as well. The plastic
BBs will sometimes get caught in the muzzel brake. You also couldmake it into an M26A1 by adding a bore evacuator behind the muzzel break,
plating over the 2periscopes next to the rotoblower in front, and adding turnbuckels on the fenders. Many early M26s were converted
to M26A1 standard. The M26A1 had a new 90mm gun so you also have to remove the front chamber from the muzzel break since they used
a single baffel muzzel break. The gun travellock was also relocatedto up on the rear deck. modelbob71 .