Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Battling Helicoptors

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 07:18 AM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Battling Helicoptors

Have you seen the new IR battling helicopters Spektrum is putting out????

The thing that got my interest was the 5 channel 2.4 ghz DSM 2 technology radio with fire buttons. On $49.00!!!!!!

I am thinking this should work with the other Spektrum receivers with the DSM technology shouldn't it. If it does, it would make a great tank battling radio.

Dan
Old 01-02-2011, 08:11 AM
diabolic-mind

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Battling Helicoptors

a guy i know is building a helicopter that will have a ir battle system and he plans on using it in some of the tank battles im planning on having in the future. should be interesting trying to shoot down a heli with a tank lol.

i was told that with the proper programming of a 5 or 6 channel dsm radio that they could be used in the tanks. it all depends on the programing features that the radio has. the owner of my LHS has just such a radio that he was showing me a week or two ago that would allow me to program it to control my tank. the only downside to it was that in order to have fire buttons i would have to program the idle up switches to act as the fire buttons. but if the radio you found has these buttons already then that makes it that much easier.
Old 01-02-2011, 09:13 AM
YHR

I have a Spektrum DX 6 and it works fine. I was just wondering if the battling helicoptor radio from spektum would work with my DSM 2 receivers. Like you mentioned with fire buttons, this might be good for tanks
Old 01-02-2011, 09:55 AM
pattoncommander

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not a new problem with tanks. We used to carry cannister ammo for that purpose, but now, the Abrams fire control system can take out a chopper with standard ammo. Korea was not a problem as we were the only ones with choppers....but North Korea had MIG-15s. Either way helicopters are bad news for tanks, but IR may prove interesting.
Old 01-02-2011, 10:12 AM
yellowshaker
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had 2 of those helicopters and believe me, they are no threat to a rc tank, as they have enough trouble flying straight and staying airborne. I bought 2 and 2 were defective in some way causing problems in flight.
Old 01-02-2011, 11:38 AM
Rebellion13

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

I think what Dan means is, could the radio that comes with the helicopter be used in conjunction with the tanks receiver to control the tank.

Wade
Old 01-02-2011, 11:57 AM
YHR

ORIGINAL: Rebellion13

I think what Dan means is, could the radio that comes with the helicopter be used in conjunction with the tanks receiver to control the tank.

Wade

Yes that is what i am asking.
Old 01-02-2011, 12:17 PM
Rebellion13

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Dan,

I had bought a e-flite blade cx-2 awhile back that came with a spektrum radio, and i was into rc crawlers and posted a similar question about using that radio with the truck, now what I was told was that I would have to buy a different receiver from spektrum to work with the radio that was supplied with the helicopter. If that makes sense? I know it can be done. Might have to take a look at the radio that is supplied with the helicopter in question. Or also maybe post that question in the radio section here.
Sorry I couldn't be of much help, except that it is possible to do, or should I say it was possible with the radio that was supplied with my helicopter. Boy that was a long winded way of saying it might work lol.

Wade
Old 01-02-2011, 03:24 PM
Pah co chu puk

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

I too have wondered about how those things could be involved in tank battles.  Is the IR system they use at all compatable with our tanks? 

If not a helicoptor then how about an A-10 with an IR battle system?  Tanks would need AA support to engage an foe with A-10's
Old 01-03-2011, 06:13 AM
Oracus

ORIGINAL: pattoncommander

Not a new problem with tanks. We used to carry cannister ammo for that purpose, but now, the Abrams fire control system can take out a chopper with standard ammo. Korea was not a problem as we were the only ones with choppers....but North Korea had MIG-15s. Either way helicopters are bad news for tanks, but IR may prove interesting.

The Abrams now have canister rounds available for use,About 5 years ago I was involved in fielding the 120mm canister rounds in South Korea.

About the helicopters! I have been thinking on this subject along time now as my main hobby is RC Helis. I am working on a Korean war era helicopter in 1/16 scale. 1st is the airframe and mechanics then will decide if it will be a Bell H-13, Hiller H-23, or a Sikorsky H-19.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:27 AM
pcsguy88

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Didn't VStank's poll last year ask about adding a line of helos to battle with their tanks?
Old 01-03-2011, 03:26 PM
Gerula

I'd be hugely interested if someone managed to hack the Heng Long RX and come with a modality to replace the small Rx board with a Spektrum Rx ( or a cheapo Ar6100 clone for example ).

I wonder if we put together 10$ each if we couldn't raise something that would be worth someone's time...
Old 03-08-2011, 07:48 AM
Oracus

ORIGINAL: Gerula

I'd be hugely interested if someone managed to hack the Heng Long RX and come with a modality to replace the small Rx board with a Spektrum Rx ( or a cheapo Ar6100 clone for example ).

I wonder if we put together 10$ each if we couldn't raise something that would be worth someone's time...
I got some more Spektrum RX's on the way, I am interested in trying to interface them with a RX18 I now just got to get a RX18.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:39 AM
kclank

ORIGINAL: YHR

Have you seen the new IR battling helicopters Spektrum is putting out????

The thing that got my interest was the 5 channel 2.4 ghz DSM 2 technology radio with fire buttons. On $49.00!!!!!!

I am thinking this should work with the other Spektrum receivers with the DSM technology shouldn't it. If it does, it would make a great tank battling radio.

Dan

Not all 2.4 ghz ("spektrum like systems) are compatible. I think JR, Spektrum, and Orange (aftermarket receiver) are but Spektrum does not work with HI-TEch or Futaba FAAST. my depth of knowledge on this subject is now exhausted. I am sure you will get more info from the group on this.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:44 AM
kclank

[quote]ORIGINAL: Gerula

[/quo

Some vendors sell a Spektrum compatible receiver called "Orange" for around $25 +/-. I have a couple and they work good.

Do a google for "Orange" receivers
Old 03-08-2011, 09:25 AM
bubbajoexx

orange recievers are 7.95 each if you now where to get them I just ordered 5 at 7.95 each and are 6 channel RX
Old 03-08-2011, 10:21 AM
HondoBob

I have a Spektrum DX 6 and it works fine. I was just wondering if the battling helicoptor radio from spektum would work with my DSM 2 receivers. Like you mentioned with fire buttons, this might be good for tanks
I have been looking for a receiver to put in a project I'm working on and learned that my Spektrum 6 will only work with DSM1 receivers. It's not a problem since there is still a fair supply of these units around (thanks Phil!), but I think the Spektrum 6i was the first from that companyto support both DSM1 and DSM2. Newer controllers/transmitters should have no problem communicating with both specs. I'm sure someone around here can provide more info about the specs and legacy compatibility.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:02 AM
Oracus

ORIGINAL: HondoBob

I have been looking for a receiver to put in a project I'm working on and learned that my Spektrum 6 will only work with DSM1 receivers. It's not a problem since there is still a fair supply of these units around (thanks Phil!), but I think the Spektrum 6i was the first from that company to support both DSM1 and DSM2. Newer controllers/transmitters should have no problem communicating with both specs. I'm sure someone around here can provide more info about the specs and legacy compatibility.
The Dx7 was the first DSM2 TX released from Spektrum, now the DX8 is compatible with DSX , DSM2, and DSM1
Old 03-08-2011, 11:51 AM
bubbajoexx

my DX5E is also DSM2 BUT WILL ONLY WORK WITH DSM2
Old 03-08-2011, 02:57 PM
Oracus

Its DSM2 which is backwards compatible, It will work with DSM and DSM2 but not DSMX. Unless it is the newer DX5 with DSMX module then it will work with all DSM air RX's