Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

1/16 Heng Long Tank

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 11:04 AM
dsvirus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1/16 Heng Long Tank

I got a new radio controlled tank for xmas. Nice. It is a Heng Long metal kitted tiger 1 (when Isay metal kitted, I mean it has metal tracks and sprockets. How do I know if it has the metal gearbox? Is there a model number anywhere I could check?

Im new so sorry for all the daft questions.
Old 01-04-2011, 12:43 PM
Ern

Default RE: 1/16 Heng Long Tank

Other than by opening it up and checking, the only thing I can think of of is that the plastic gears will slip when turning quickly on grass or heavy carpet. You will hear a very noticable clicking/grinding sound that the safety slipper clutch makes to avoid straining the electronic board.

I'll see if I can find a video I just watched where you can hear it

You can hear the clutch at 1:06 in the video when the tanks run into eachother... only plastic gears will make this noise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8PAH...eature=related
Old 01-04-2011, 12:44 PM
afv

I don't think you can tell without taking the upper hull off something you may want to do if they are metal you may want to run them in. Theres a post further down the page " total newbie question " with a couple of links you may find interesting
regards Jack.
Old 01-04-2011, 04:29 PM
Panther G

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Metal geared gear boxes will be noticeably loud. If your tank is fairly quiet when rolling then you probably have the plastic gears. thats the only way i can think of with out opening it up. 
Which you should anyway because if they are metal gears they will need some grease as they dont come lubricated from the factory. Which is also a reason for pre- mature gear failure in new tanks.
Old 01-07-2011, 08:23 AM
Speedyman
My Feedback: (3)

I am trying to buy the 1:16 adriam M1A2 ...Chunwai has one but way to high $ for me..HobbyTron has one listed for around $100.00. I don't know who makes it and if parts are available ? they will not return my calls.I have hengLong tanks and both work fine.they are out of stock now and seem not to interested in getting this one back in stock??? my E-Mail is [email protected].
Really need some help and advice.....
Art.............
Old 01-07-2011, 08:57 AM
Panther G

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Abrams listed on Hobbytron is made by Hobby Engine. These tanks are not of the same quality of HL tanks. They have decent hulls and suspension but the tracks are rubber band type.
 These tanks need to be heavily modified to be good runners. Do a search on this forum for Hobby Engine LEO or Abrams tanks and you will see what goes into making these true runners.