Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

DAK in Winter

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 11:05 PM
edoubleaz
My Feedback: (1)

Received 65 Likes on 43 Posts
Default DAK in Winter

DAK's first battle of 2011 is approaching. Stay tuned for some major field updates, new and used vehicles making their debuts, and the good old fashioned BARBQUE.

The event is Jan 15th at the club field in Phoenix. Any questions, just ask!

http://web.mac.com/ethandunsford/DAK2/DAK_Battlefield.html
Old 01-10-2011, 09:53 AM
edoubleaz

Default RE: DAK in Winter

Part of the festivities will include the dedication of DAK's first fixed structure, here is a teaser.....

Seems to be a server glitch, imagine a photo of Craig and I building a large structure!
Old 01-10-2011, 10:22 AM
HondoBob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I imagine you building the Taj Mahal in chocolate?
Old 01-10-2011, 06:07 PM
edoubleaz

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vs55489.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	138.2 KB
ID:	1545527   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87998.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	139.7 KB
ID:	1545528  
Old 01-10-2011, 10:56 PM
RSEA

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I get a kick out of the fact that Craig finds it warm enough to be wearing shorts outside this time of year. My feet and hands are cold as I am typing this right now and I am indoors.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:27 PM
RSEA

I can't keep a lid on this any further!

A Storm will be coming to DAK on Saturday.. In the form of a Massive, Mighty MAUS..

You guys didn't think I spent money on an Iwata airbrush and compressor just to repaint my old Tiger did you?

EDoubleAZ - There will be no need to fire up the grill at lunch time. By then, we will be able to barbeque the food over the flames coming from all the knocked out Shermans littering the field. And yeah, I will get there before lunch this time..

Pzrjgr - If your SU-152 is completed, I'd advise you bring it, as it will be your only hope for survival.

StreetSquid - It would be wise for you to stick to driving your KT for most, if not all of the day. Plus, much like the Sith, the two of us alone could be unstoppable.

Jeff489 - If you chose to bring your Jagdtiger this time, it will look like it shrunk a few sizes when it rolls up along side my MAUS..

Anyone else who will be driving Allied this weekend, well, I feel sorry for you..

Oh and, the MAUS will be set as a 9-hit Heavy with IFA. Gotta save those gearboxes, just like the little assualt guns.. Plus, with the thickness of that frontal armor, I couldn't have it any other way.

I'll bring the Tiger along as backup, in the unlikely case the Maus experiences a break down. haha

Name:	Hf10254.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	1546644  
Old 01-12-2011, 07:20 PM
Pzjgr

Lol, I'll be there with my SU-152. But I don't think I'll have to worry about your Maus....after all if it's like the real Maus it'll be broken down before entering the battlefield.

Duane

Btw looking forward to seeing your Maus at the battlefield.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:06 PM
Jeff489
My Feedback: (12)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

RSEA, very nice build.  I can't wait to see it live.
Old 01-13-2011, 05:41 PM
edoubleaz

We'll have to check the rule book to see if "Paper Panzers" are allowed..... hhhhmmmmm.

Good thing Ihave plenty of "legal" Shermans lying around!

RHIP!!!!

.....but seriously, we all like to see off the wall projects and one of a kind vehicles make the rounds. The DAK logo on the turret will get you a pass anytime.

What happened to all those Russian tank aspirations?
Old 01-13-2011, 08:33 PM
RSEA

ORIGINAL: edoubleaz

We'll have to check the rule book to see if ''Paper Panzers'' are allowed..... hhhhmmmmm.

Good thing I have plenty of ''legal'' Shermans lying around!

RHIP!!!!

.....but seriously, we all like to see off the wall projects and one of a kind vehicles make the rounds. The DAK logo on the turret will get you a pass anytime.

What happened to all those Russian tank aspirations?
Paper Panzer is right.. Maybe DAK needs to draft an official rule book, don't think I've seen one yet?

Hopefully you don't mind having off the wall and one of a kind club members too haha.

The DAK logo addition was specifically for you and Craig.

Pzjgr has temporarily killed my Russian armor aspirations, I could never keep up with him..
Old 01-13-2011, 08:47 PM
FFR2608

I really think the paper panzers should be allowed within reason. Remember, all these tanks are virtually identical under their skins. The only real differences are light, medium and heavy settings. Allowing the "papers" would encourage several cool scratch builds. I had an E10 ready to build until I found out I couldn't use it. I do understand the reasoning and feel it's up to the club leadership.

D
Old 01-16-2011, 01:26 PM
edoubleaz

Battle day another success. At least 15 tank commanders on site and the best weather yet! Sunny, breezy, and temps in the low 70's.

Full report coming and just a few pics......

Name:	Om34077.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	144.9 KB
ID:	1548974   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw72985.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	216.4 KB
ID:	1548975   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ol31488.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	138.5 KB
ID:	1548976   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc92831.jpg
Size:	151.1 KB
ID:	1548977   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82306.jpg
Size:	140.4 KB
ID:	1548978   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk31164.jpg
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	1548979  
Old 01-16-2011, 03:34 PM
edoubleaz

Site has been updated with pics!

http://web.mac.com/ethandunsford/DAK...1-15-2011.html

Name:	Ki19836.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	1549050   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy79860.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	145.6 KB
ID:	1549051   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47285.jpg
Size:	155.3 KB
ID:	1549052   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf13282.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	1549053  
Old 01-16-2011, 07:55 PM
philipat

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The white on the ground looks pretty cool.  Is that salt or paint?
Old 01-17-2011, 09:59 AM
Jeff489
My Feedback: (12)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

We enjoyed ourselves very much at the battle. It was really nice seeing some new tanks on the battlefield. Of note was the SU-152 which is quite the beastie. It looked and ran very nice. We took 7 tanks and most of them ran well.

One that didn't was my Panther which firstly had some problems with no traverse. An investigation revealed wires getting into the traverse gears. After we had that resolved, the elevation failed as the Panther took out yet another elevation unit (that would be number 4...) It seems the Impact muzzle break and mantlet are just too heavy to handle for the Tamiya elevation units.

We'll be taking the Panther into the shop for a minor overhaul. We'll be replacing the mantlet and muzzle break with the original Tamiya parts or perhaps we'll leave the parts intact and outfit it for a servo operated elevation. I'm unsure which I'd prefer. While it's down, we will be installing some metal upgrade driver and radio operator opening hatches, and moving the charging system and on/off switches from the rear transom forward for easy access in the hatches (now that they will open). We're also going to be installing some 8 tooth pinions to slow her down a bit and give her some more low end torque. We'll also be adding a DT spring loaded idler assembly that I've been meaning to install for some time. After all that, we'll retouch all the paint. Should be back up for the March Battleday.

IFA (Invulnerable Front Armor) tanks were in abundance at this battle (three). For those who haven't driven one, they present a unique opportunity to learn new battle tactics as their operator (just like a medium tank does vs. a heavy tank). I've noticed that with an IFA, the challenge is to keep your team alive and intact, and wisely choose your moment to attack. Too early, and you'll be swarmed. Too late, and you'll also be swarmed. You can't be a lone wolf, or you'll simply be the last to die on your team. As to opposing a IFA, DAK tankers are getting more sophisticated and disciplined. They've developed IFA counter tactics that seem to be working pretty well.

I've noticed that the heavy class tanks were for me the most forgiving and easy to learn. They are nearly as fast as any medium tank, but they can take punishment and keep going. Medium tanks are more difficult to operate as they lose mobility (i.e. mostly) after 3 hits. Still, they have significant advantages such as the high rate of fire and generally smaller size. My biggest problem is to resist the the temptation of target fixation. Meaning one cannot trade shots with other tanks when you know you can finish them off. With a medium, one must give hits when one can and without taking counter fire.

As to the battles, there appeared to be no clear advantage for either the Axis or the Allies (despite the numerous IFA assault guns making their presence felt). Most of the battle were balanced. My favorite battle was were where the Allies battled it out and killed (seemingly) all of the Axis tanks. There were just a few Shermans left, and with multiple hits each. We were battered, but not defeated. Unknown to us, there were a few Axis "stragglers" left. Imagine how we felt when we saw two Tigers (Tiger 1 and a King Tiger) and a Panther (all three had no hits on them (member Dom's tanks driven by his kids)) emerge from the forest ready to engage. Well, suffice to say, our Shermans didn't last long.

All in all, we had a great time. There were about 20 tankers present. Some nice battling, some parts deals and swapping, an excellent barbecue and good friends make this a relaxing and fun day to party down in the desert. Thanks to all who contributed!

Old 01-17-2011, 10:06 AM
edoubleaz

ORIGINAL: philipat

The white on the ground looks pretty cool. Is that salt or paint?
Neither! It is good old baking soda. The least noxious, cheap, and temporary substance I can think of.