Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Tamiya M-51 Super Sherman

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Tamiya M-51 Super Sherman

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 10:11 AM
NoBrainer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tamiya M-51 Super Sherman

[link=http://www.stellamodels.net/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=76_113&products_id=5214]Tamiya M-51 Super Sherman[/link] and the M4 Sherman

I have tried 4 Heng Long's now, but I still want a Tamiya....and I want a WWII tank.
I would like to have the new electronics from Tamiya.

I see that the turret is different, the barrel and the suspension.
I think that I can use the M-51 as an M4 with that suspension. And the barrel is a easy fix.

Is it possible to fix the turret witnout to many problems?
Are there any other big differences that would completly "brake" my M4 dream?
Old 01-08-2011, 11:02 AM
pattoncommander

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Tamiya M-51 Super Sherman

If you want a WW II Sherman, you would much better off getting a Mato. The Tamiya M-51 is first off NOT a Super Sherman, and outside of the turret, very inaccurate in detailing. (hinnedrietz). ( A Super Sherman is the Mato M-4 unmodified.) The M-51 turret is a very highly modified T-23 to accomodate the French 105mm gun and does not relate to any WW II Sherman....even too big for a Pershing. Modifying the gun will not make it a WW II tank. The suspension is late WW II HVVS of the M-4A3E8 and the Tamiya retains the radial rear deck. Lots of guys have bought the Mato M-4A1 Sherman and put better electronics in it. The turret was designed to place the IR inside, so plenty of room. I have converted 5 of them to Israeli Shermans using HL electronics and am satisfied with the setup.

If you definately want Tamiya, the Sherman 105 is your Sherman option...or get the M-26 Pershing.

Old 01-08-2011, 11:12 AM
NoBrainer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply.

But acn you tell me if the Tamiya M4 Sherman really have the wrong suspension? It looks like it.
And I was talking about getting rid off the gun.

If I get the Mato and buy electronics, I will not get the pleassure of building my own Tamiya and mye experience so far, is that even Heng Long gets really expensive when you have to fix everything.

hmm...have to think about this. Kind of like the M26 also
Old 01-08-2011, 02:37 PM
pattoncommander

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nothing wrong with the suspension....what the M-51 has is an improved suspension..HVSS = Horizontal Volute Suspension System, developed in 1943 to improve traction and lower ground pressure. The track was a 23 inch double pin track over the older 11 inch tracks of the VVSS models. The later US Shermans such as M-4A3E8 all have this...including the Tamiya 105 Sherman. This is a Sherman mounting the 105mm Howitzer and designed for infantry support. The tank is pretty accurate, unlike the Tamiya M-51 which is simply a made over 105 Sherman with a different turret.

The Mato Sherman has the older Vertical Volute suspension with the ridged protection plates over the springs. If you want a really good WW late WW II Sherman, get a Mato 76mm turret and put it on the Tamiya hull and you have an M-4A3E8.

The M-26 is a late WW II tank, entering service in April 1945. It was used extensively in Korea but under powered and upgraded to the M-46 in 1951. As a WW II Pershing , a bit of minor modelling must be done to make it historically accurate, but both HL and Tamiya M-26s are good tanks.