Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

CAN-AM Field for 2011 ***ATTENTION CLUB MEMBERS***

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

CAN-AM Field for 2011 ***ATTENTION CLUB MEMBERS***

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 05:42 PM
Fireman Tim
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CAN-AM Field for 2011 ***ATTENTION CLUB MEMBERS***

I have found us a place to run our Battle days for 2011. It is the Black Creek Community Center located at 2959 Baker Road, Fort Erie, just off the QEW at Netherby rd. It is 10 minutes from the Peace Bridge and 1.5 hours from Toronto.

-They are requesting a $20 yearly membership fee per club member for unlimited use of the outdoor area and washroom access. Guests would be free.

-The outdoor field is about 150'x300' and is cut grass.

-The indoor hall rental is $50, so a winter meet is now possible, as long are there are no schedule conflicts with other clubs.

-Tables and chairs are also available for us to use.

-So far there has been nothing said against us using Airsoft. I would think that bio-degradable BBs would be prudent, eye protection as always and controlling onlookers.

-I have requested a 40'x40' area for us to set up a permanent outdoor battlefield in the future. I was told that there is a space behind the barn that they will consider. Obviously, they want to see a commitment from us, but lets see how the first Battleday goes and what everyone thinks.

What do you think?
Old 01-08-2011, 05:52 PM
Glen B

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: CAN-AM Field for 2011 ***ATTENTION CLUB MEMBERS***

ORIGINAL: Fireman Tim

What do you think?

OUTSTANDING!!!!!

On all counts.

$20.00/year per personis cheap, IMHO (based on my experience of being involved in other types of clubs).

That is a great find
Old 01-08-2011, 07:27 PM
thomasjohnmurphy

I'm in, $20/yr or even $100 its still a bargin. The more me meet the better this club will become.
Old 01-08-2011, 07:53 PM
Captain Action

Im in..It would be good if we could get a area that would be a permanent setting so we could landscape and maybe set up (small) buildings.
Keep the air soft talk to a minimum !!!! I think by spring we would have quite a few compatible IR tanks and lean toward more battles.
Old 01-08-2011, 10:20 PM
hulu

I am in too!
Old 01-09-2011, 05:26 AM
Fireman Tim

Great! We can move forward and book some dates.

I'll scout out the area behind the barn today.
Old 01-09-2011, 10:41 AM
Fireman Tim

Ok, this is the area I have inquired about. My contact 'Lisa' told me that this could possibly be used by us, but it would have to be approved by the board. She was very, very positive about us setting up shop here, so things are looking very good. They want our money LOL.

The location of the battlefield is the area in red. It is about 40'x80' (more than we need at the moment). I figured starting with a 40'x40' and we can see where it goes from there. Clear the land or brush, make some hills and trenches. I have a source for free rail road ties (but I am getting ahead of myself).

I think as long as we are careful about the airsoft, it should be ok. Usually nothing happens until there is a complaint, so we just need to be smart about using it.

I am waiting to hear back from her.
Old 01-09-2011, 06:04 PM
Glen B

I think as long as we are careful about the airsoft, it should be ok. Usually nothing happens until there is a complaint, so we just need to be smart about using it.
That's geat because I still really enjoy the airsoft.

IMHO, any problems can easily be headed off by a few simple bits ot "range procedures" which we already practiced at the meet in Oct. i.e eyeware and make sure targets are placed so all shots are 180 degrees away from all participants and spectators.
Old 01-09-2011, 06:59 PM
Captain Action

How many paying members minimum do we need to make them happy ??
Old 01-09-2011, 07:54 PM
Fireman Tim

any problems can easily be headed off by a few simple bits ot "range procedures" which we already practiced at the meet in Oct. i.e eyeware and make sure targets are placed so all shots are 180 degrees away from all participants and spectators.
Yes, we need a range safety officer (make sure glasses are on and spectators are kept back) besides just a score keeper.

How many paying members minimum do we need to make them happy ??
I think we are up around 7 right now. I told them that if we have a permanent field, more members will join, hence more revenue for the community center.
Old 01-19-2011, 05:22 AM
Fireman Tim

I have been invited to the Black Creek Community Center tonight to give a presentation on our Club and our desire to set up a battlefield at the center. This is for the green light to start work on the field this spring.

I am going to print out some photos of existing club fields and show off some of my tanks.

We have a large RC tank community here in Southern Ontario that can support this venture, so I gotta sell this to them. "Build it an they will come."

If there are any CAN-AM members that want to join me, contact me asap. The meeting is at 7pm in Fort Erie. PM or email me.
Old 01-19-2011, 04:54 PM
Glen B

You'll get this after the fact, so all I can offer is tosay, I hope it went well.

I was out of town on a work related trip to Wheatley, and back and didn't get in until after 7:00PM.
Old 01-19-2011, 05:43 PM
Fireman Tim

Results of the Meeting:

I met with the board of directors of the Black Creek Community Center tonight. The meeting went well, and we have been granted an area to place our 40'x60' field. The area we can place it in is a 60'x100' area, so there is a possibility we can expand if necessary.

Good News:
-They really want us here. Our club is good for the center.
-We can add dirt, sand, dig tank trenches, valleys, cut roads into the sod and build hills, just no use of stones or bricks that could be used by kids to vandalize the center
-We will be responsible to maintain the area. This will fall on my shoulders and anyone else who wants to volunteer.
-Plenty of parking
-Washrooms
-Tables and Chairs
-Some of the board members are interested in joining
-Use of the indoor hall for a $50 rental fee
-The location is right off the QEW
-it will only cost us $20 each per year for unlimited use of the field. Memberships can be filled out and payed for at our first Battleday.
-We can start working on the field as soon as the ground thaws.

Now the Bad News:
-No Airsoft. I quote "As long as they don't shoot real projectiles, Insurance is not a problem." And there you have it. As we discussed previously, this is not a surprise. Welcome to the 21st Century.
-No Alcohol. Not a big deal, we can scoot down the road for an after battle drink if we wish.
-Ticks in the spring time. I am told that a good grass trimming will do away with most of them.
-Obviously we are not going to leave any terrain pieces behind.

In time, the center may do more for us, like fence the area in, on site storage, or build a shelter. For now, I am going to look for a shade tent.

It's Official! We have a Battlefield boys!
Old 01-19-2011, 05:58 PM
Glen B

Tim

Thanks for the efforts and the report. It looks like a good location.

Good news, except for the airsoft, which is my favourite event; I was hopiing that would turn out differently on that subjectbut thought it wouldn't due to previous experience; that'sa product of insurance and the nanny state mentality all too common today.

I hope we can at least show and drive airsoft tanks there, if there is no airsoft ammo loaded or present, since I currently have 4 airsoft andjust one DBC conversion..
Old 01-19-2011, 06:12 PM
hulu

Thanks for your hard work Tim.
Although no Airsoft is bad news, especially for TJM., we can bulid our own battle field and don't worry for the wash room again. ;-)
Old 01-19-2011, 06:37 PM
Captain Action

Good news Thanks Tim.

Well I have one tank with a DBU installed and 3 HL IR tanks.

So can we build a large wood storage box and leave it on site for shovels, rakes, trees and stuff ?
Old 01-19-2011, 06:58 PM
Fireman Tim

Let's not get discouraged over the airsoft issue as there are still other options. Some members have volunteered to host airsoft events at their homes. We may yet find a solution at the battlefield site like seperate insurance for our club only. Perhaps if we inquire with paintball fields as to what kind of insurance they have. I imagine that airsoft would fall under the same criteria.

Storage of tools should not be a problem. There is a secure barn and I don't think they will mind us sticking some shovels and rakes in it. I will ask about additional storage for trees. With time all things are possible. Once they see we are legit and responsible, we should be able to start asking for more.

I am very happy. Having this battlefield is a big deal, and will make our club grow. We could be looking at a fenced field next year.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:14 PM
Glen B

Let's not get discouraged over the airsoft issue as there are still other options. Some members have volunteered to host airsoft events at their homes. We may yet find a solution at the battlefield site like seperate insurance for our club only. Perhaps if we inquire with paintball fields as to what kind of insurance they have. I imagine that airsoft would fall under the same criteria.

Good point. IMHO, it is safer than paintball and also safer than some of the sports and physical activities likely hosted at the center.

I am very happy. Having this battlefield is a big deal, and will make our club grow. We could be looking at a fenced field next year.
Yes, it is a good thing, central location, good faclity, honestly, better than the Sportsmans Club which also has a good supply of ticks and to also lots on mosquitoes (based on mylong term experience there) and I expect the Black Creek location is better drained. The insurance issue there was not going to be quickly resolved, either, for any activity.

A good site, at a good price, that will allow new groups in is definitelt not easy to find, so it is a major accomplishment.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:09 AM
Captain Action

Sounds good, I think it will be fun setting up a new feild, I willing to help out with the grunt work in the spring.
We have a few months to get the tanks ready and come up with a cool feild lay out that we can expand on.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:52 AM
Fireman Tim

Frank,

did you ever get your T34 with DBC?

I believe we have the following tanks with TBU/DBU now:

Tim: M4A3E8 TBU
T34/85 TBU

Dennis: Tiger TBU
Pershing TBU

Roland: Pershing DBU

Glen: Stug III DBU

Ke: Panzer III DBU
Tiger Mystery System that is TBU compatible

Frank: T34/85 DBU

Mike: Jagdpanzer DBU

Alex: Pershing DBU

John: Jagdpanzer DBU

I also have two IR tagets to install in bunkers for objectives to destroy.
Old 01-20-2011, 01:24 PM
Captain Action

Hay Tim
I am E mailing the guy who has the T 38 tanks to see if he wants to join in. (You updating the web site? )
I have a buddy who I bought a BB Purshing who might drop by and play.[X(]
My DBU is...well ... Im not sure...you will see.....not finished.

By the way what are your little IR tanks, VS Tanks?

Also Hulu and I have the HL , IR tanks.
Old 01-20-2011, 01:46 PM
Fireman Tim

If you are having trouble with the installation of the DBU, I Hulu (Ke) might be able to help.

Dennis has disappeared off the map, so I started a Blog for our club. [link]http://can-amrctankclub.blogspot.com/[/link]

I still have some Vstanks, but I have done nothing with them.

Hulu (Ke) has a couple of TBU/DBU compatible tanks.

Also, I have been working on two 1/16 scale cottages ( one Tudor, one Russian) plus the bunkers for IR targets.

Here is our virgin field in all her glory.
Old 01-20-2011, 01:55 PM
hulu

HI Frank,
I may not have HL IR tank any more in April because I am planning to convert it to Tamiya compatible.
I also may have one DBC/DBU left. If you don't have your DBU ready in the meeting, I can bring it in and install it in your tank

Old 01-20-2011, 02:12 PM
Fireman Tim

Ke,

if Frank does not want your DBC, I will buy it from you as we will probably have more club members this year who will need one.
Old 01-20-2011, 02:26 PM
hulu

No problem Tim. I don't think I will use DBC/DBU  any more

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.