Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

New Panzerjager build almost ends in divorce

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

New Panzerjager build almost ends in divorce

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 09:13 PM
DukeSedan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Panzerjager build almost ends in divorce

Ihave just got my latest purchase from Matomart today. When my wife found out she lost her sh** and gave me all hell because Iordered $300 worth of tank and parts without consulting her Now that I have her cooled off a bit Ican start my new project (my main focus has been on my metal Tiger but I have put that on the shelf untill I can sort out some it's problems). SO what I have is a Sturmtiger, a set of 3:1 mato TigerII gear boxes, TigerII metal tracks and a plastic Tiger I barrel/mantlet. My plan is to make a Tiger I based tank killer with Tiger II tracks that looks like something the Germans might have built in WWII. I am still undecided ad where Iwill mount the superstructure (like a Jagdpanther, Jagdtiger or the Jagdpanther II). So any ideas are welcome. I have test fit the gear boxes and am confident they will work. The idlers are already requiring alot of modification though. As soon as Iget some pics Iwill post them.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:22 PM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: New Panzerjager build almost ends in divorce

You have to quickly let your wife know about the Smiles/$ When you factor in the time and enjoyment you get out of that $300, nothing comes close.
Old 01-18-2011, 08:26 AM
Tanque

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts

I'm not married but I'd imagine that it would be best to say the models don't give nearly as much pleasure as being in her company
but provide a weak substitute when she's away...something to while away the hours when she can't be near.

If she's a stay at home mom, you're toast in the long run dude.

Jerry
Old 01-18-2011, 08:32 AM
Fireman Tim
My Feedback: (3)

I avoided the whole estrogen meltdown by building a tank named after my Wife ($700). I also gave up a career as an Canadian Armoured Officer for her. That's Karma for ya LOL.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:44 AM
sevoblast

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

Oh, aren't you smooth!! I shoulda had you advise me in the 6 months before VCO got interested in the tanks! More than once shortly after the trek east, when a parcel from the Fatherland would arrive, those pretty brown Turkoman eyes would get real small, she would draw up to her towering height of 4'11, and....well, it weren't pretty. Ya see, I kept forgetting that she read and understood English better than she spoke it back then. IOW she could read the bleedin' customs documents attached to the parcel...more's the pity for me. Then she saw a Sov Panther, and the T 34...and the rest is history. Lucky lad am I. I think. Now she wants a KV 85, and a T 55, and a....ahhhh....can't tell you about that one....yet.
Old 01-18-2011, 12:17 PM
Rex Ross

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

In 1971 my wife said...."Rex, ya gotta make a choice. What's it gonna be..........me or your damn tanks!".

I guess I took too long thinking about my answer..............
Old 01-18-2011, 12:34 PM
kclank

misplaced post
Old 01-18-2011, 01:26 PM
yellowshaker
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My girlfriend has stated more than once that I spend mor time with my tanks than I do with her...She gets mad when I don't respond. I learned long ago from a man much wiser than myself that it is better to say nothing at all than to argue, especially if she is right
Old 01-18-2011, 01:38 PM
Ern

Creeping Death PzIII I bought off the RCU classifieds arrived today! Thank God she was in the kitchen and I had enough time to stash it in the closet! She goes to bed early so I'll wait a bit and slide it into the motor pool while she's sleeping... from there it'll be, "That old thing? They don't even make those anymore. I've had that for years!"

Have fun with the new project!
Old 01-18-2011, 04:28 PM
modelbob71

Before my wife and I got married, I explained the importance of my modelbuilding hobby to her and told her she had to get used to it.
Since we both had jobs we set up separate bank accounts. She pays some things, I pay some things AND if I want to buy an RC tank
with my money, she can't say a thing. If she wants to buy something with her money I can't say a thing. It's worked for over 20 years!
modelbob71
Old 01-18-2011, 05:07 PM
BIGMIG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well you might remind her there are a lot of other things you could be doing other than staying at home working on tanks.Seems like it's pretty hard to get in trouble just working on a simple hobby.If I had all the money i wasted as a young guy out drinking and at partys,i could probbly have one or two of every model tank ever built.Plus my wife kind of likes them and so do her friends.Going to be married 49 years on the 26 th of this month.

BIGMIG

P.S. More important things than a few hundred dollars in this world.Life is short,injoy it while you can.If you are healthy you have the world by the tail..............
Old 01-18-2011, 05:37 PM
Pah co chu puk

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

My wife and I ( and the whole family ) do pre 1840 fir trapper reinactments as well.  By the time you buy a tipi, black powder rifle, make leather clothes and buy all the other tools and toys...  Well, she thinks tanks are cheap!

Four tote boxes full of tanks and stuff is much less money than the $ 15,000.00 we have in our Mtn. Man Rendevous outfit.  It's crazy how it takes a 3/4 ton truck to haul in a primitive camp!

No... if she questions how much you spend on tanks, just mention all the other hobies you are not spending money on.  Ski boats, ATV's, drag racers, ski diving, snow mobles, monster trucks, etc...  You get the idea.
Old 01-18-2011, 05:52 PM
thomasjohnmurphy

I feel your pain brother (lol)
I get away with it by upgrading a few tank, selling them on ebay and letting her use the proceeds to buy herself clothes
Its worked so far (I'm still married)
Old 01-18-2011, 07:29 PM
katokato

tell your wife that panzerjager means her name.

wat do women know about tank destroyers?

Old 01-18-2011, 07:44 PM
Pah co chu puk

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

My wife would google it...  no, don't lie to her about stuff she can look up.

TJM has the right idea, find a way to buy her shoes everytime you get a new tank.

Old 01-19-2011, 10:29 PM
swathdiver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Put her name on it and present it to her on Valentines Day. [:-] It's your way of spending quality time together!
Old 01-20-2011, 06:40 PM
bowlman

Received 85 Likes on 69 Posts

removed
Old 01-20-2011, 09:28 PM
DirtyBird69

"Divorce"....boy that would suck lol.....but look on the bright side, you'ld still have a panzerjager! 
Old 01-20-2011, 09:35 PM
DukeSedan

My wife has no idea what the hell I'm saying when I speak German to her, so maybe katokato's idea could work!
I've tried to post pics over the last few days but no luck. So I'll try once more. The Mato 3:1 TigerII gear boxes and metal tracks work (I am lengthening the hull for track length reasons and to give me more room to work) and the Sturmtiger road wheels fit well into the tracks. I have also included a pic of the Sturm's elevation unit because it has a built in lateral traverse! I am using a Tiger one mantlet and muzzle-brake custom length. the size of the barrel and brake make it look (next to my Jagdpanther) like it could be a 105mm(imaginary Pak long barrel version?) or a longer barreled Jagdtiger 128mm (also imaginary). I also haven't decided if it will be hull forward, mid or rear. Any suggestions are welcome.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46529.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	1550756   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk32059.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	120.1 KB
ID:	1550757   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ze87180.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	1550758   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uo34931.jpg
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	1550759  
Old 01-20-2011, 09:36 PM
DukeSedan

Name:	Us52713.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	1550760   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr55333.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	113.8 KB
ID:	1550761  
Old 01-21-2011, 12:53 AM
GeirMagne

Very cool! Maybe I should use my 4 x KT tracks and sprockets for something like that. I've got a Tiger 1 hull like you also.
Old 01-21-2011, 09:30 AM
DukeSedan

Iam always impressed by the fellows here who can make a model that is historically correct right down to the last nut and bolt but Ilike the idea of making something that is what I may have designed and built if Iwas in charge and conditions were ideal. If Iam successful I will have a good running tank that looks like it could have been possible to build and could have been fielded in WII. Other than that Ihave a blank slate to work with. The most interesting part of building my all metal Tiger I was having to engineer and build a tank (with much less design restricions we are imposed on by working with manufactured products). I would like to build some historicaslly accurate models too. However, unless a company comes out with chassis for Panzer I & II, P38 (t), Lorraine tractors, British personell carriers etc... it won't be happening any time soon. Ialso have an unhealthy fantasy of owning enough Pzr. IV s to play around with and maybe a company or two of Panthers... Then maybe Iwill be divorced!
Old 01-25-2011, 09:09 PM
DukeSedan

A couple of pics of the lengthened hull, installed idlers (Iused two skateboard wheel bearings per side), and gun barrel (also a comparitive pic with my Jagdpanther underneath). Iam having some interference between tracks and the bolts I'm using to hold together my hull and renforcing aluminum and when Ireverse under load the gear boxes "skip". Iwill have to modify the boxes I'm sure (which does not make me happy).

Name:	Us55396.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	1553225   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq50526.jpg
Size:	123.7 KB
ID:	1553226   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm23927.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	139.1 KB
ID:	1553227  
Old 01-25-2011, 09:10 PM
DukeSedan

Name:	Wu60098.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	1553228   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qm35730.jpg
Size:	144.6 KB
ID:	1553229   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ci98077.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	1553230  
Old 01-25-2011, 09:49 PM
ObsessiveTanker

You could put the turret in the rear like an Elefant(well the Elefant didnt have a turret but a superstructure WHATEVER) or in the very front like the Porsche Tiger 1. Place it in the middle and it looks like a E-100 varient

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.