Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Wittmann Tiger Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 02:18 PM
ObsessiveTanker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wittmann Tiger Help

Hello,
Just wondering if any of you have seen any good pictures of Wittmann's 007 Tiger tank in Normandy, and if you could post them. If you can't find pictures and know specific details that would help too. Also, do you think it is right to have an RC tank that is modeled after Wittmann, in respect for his death, or do you think its ok to replicate his tank?
Thanks, Zack
Old 01-18-2011, 02:29 PM
Ern

Default RE: Wittmann Tiger Help

That tank has been thousands of times... sure it's OK. While some may argue that replicating any WW2 german tank is wrong, I see it as honoring his accomplishments as an armored tank commander.

Use Google images... tons of pics of that tank. Here's a link

http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&s...w=1259&bih=656
Old 01-18-2011, 02:44 PM
ObsessiveTanker

Thank you. Ido not know why I ask these questions, it seems like every two minutes I get a different idea for a cool tank to get!!! I really just need to upgrade the ones I have though. I would be much happier with my two Tigers if they had a full upgrade from Mato electronics, not El mod but like 3:1 gears and upgraded IRsystem with some better sounds would be nice. I wish I knew a place that offers that for people who don't know how to install and build tanks like all of you. I'm such a noob!!
Old 01-18-2011, 02:51 PM
yellowshaker
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: ObsessiveTanker

Thank you. Ido not know why I ask these questions, it seems like every two minutes I get a different idea for a cool tank to get!!! I really just need to upgrade the ones I have though. I would be much happier with my two Tigers if they had a full upgrade from Mato electronics, not El mod but like 3:1 gears and upgraded IRsystem with some better sounds would be nice. I wish I knew a place that offers that for people who don't know how to install and build tanks like all of you. I'm such a noob!!
The place you speak of does exist...it's called RCTANKWARS
Phil can do any upgrades you want if you are unable to do it yourself. Also, going elmod would make the tank control 100% better without changing anything else, though I do agree with 3:1 gears.
Old 01-18-2011, 02:55 PM
Ern

Just jump in there OT! It isn't brain surgery I have next to no experience with electronics and the rest of it, but replacing geaboxes, motors, etc is really pretty simple. A tip I learned here when I first got on was to take pictures as you go in case a wire comes loose or something so you can refer back to them. And if you hit a snag, just post it here and someone will be able to help. Working and upgrading these tank adds to their enjoyment and adds to the experience. Give it a try... I bet you'll surprise yourself in what you can do [says the tanker with two tanks in various stages of reassemble]

As long as you get 3:1 gearboxes that were made for the model you are installing them in they are just a drop in with no needed modifications
Old 01-18-2011, 03:15 PM
ObsessiveTanker

Thanks everybody. I will take a look at RCTANKWARS again, just not sure if I can afford Elmod(only 14). I guess I could send my tanks to them for them to upgrade it correctly, I would do it myself but I have NO tools at my house and I would rather let the experts do it! FDo any of you know about how much it is to upgrade a Mato KTor JT(as in reference to the Jagdtiger) to 3;1 with Elmod and IR, or just elmod?
Old 01-18-2011, 04:22 PM
torpedochief

Hey OT,

If you indeed model Wittman's TIGER 007 you will have to do very extensive modifications. The TIGEr that he met his end in was a late model Tiger.

If it were me and I had limited funds, I would model one of the TIGER's from early in his career Tiger 1331 fought at KURSK and is a early TIGER that all you have to do is remove the smoke launchers, add S-mines, paint and decals.

Here is Tiger 1334. It was in the same unit as Wittman at Kursk.

Old 01-18-2011, 04:57 PM
rynos
Banned

Can find what you want.
It is concern with the product RC and it very cheap.
http://www.rchobbystores.net/detail/p_B000T4HZSW/New-Unimax-Forces-of-Valor-1-16th-Scale-German-Tiger-IWittman's-Final-Battle-Onsale-Now.html

Old 01-18-2011, 06:37 PM
ObsessiveTanker

I dont think $700.00 for not even an RC tank is a little stupid. Sorry.
Old 01-18-2011, 08:40 PM
peterphillipps

Probably a strange question, I don't like zimmerit so would like to do a
Wittman Tiger with steel wheels and no zimmerit, did any of his Tigers
with steel wheels not have zimmerit?
Old 01-18-2011, 09:07 PM
ObsessiveTanker

I don't know that much about specific tank Abteilung and divisions, and stuff portraying to that area. I personally focus on the tank itself, so I couldnt tell you if any had the zimmerit or not. My best guess is that they did, because the Germans expected the Allies to use magnetic shaped charges, and in the 1943-1944 most tanks had this paste put on them. when the Germans found out that the magnetic charges weren't being used as much-or at all- the application of the zimmerit was stopped or drastically put down. You can see this by looking at a Panzer 4 Aüsf H. It had the characteristic zimmerit and Schürtzen, by the later version did away with the zimmerit. this can also be seen in some Jagdtigers. I'm not saying that they completely stopped using zimmerit, but it was definately not used as much. I would think that Wittmann's Tiger's probably had zimmerit, since he himself had a late command version, but there is a good chance they didn't. The proof to this is that when fighting in Villers Bocage his Tiger was abandoned because of battle damage (this is NOT his last ride, he battle before). If you look at that Tiger it appears to be an early war model, without zimmerit and perhapse even without camo-just Panzer Grey. So its very likely that there were Tigers without zimmerit serving with him, proven by the later.

In other news, does anybody know how much it costs to upgrade a tank to Elmod?

Old 01-19-2011, 06:50 PM
ObsessiveTanker

I really wish Icould find out more information about my Great Grandfather, I have been told that he was a German Panzerführer in WWII apparently in a Tiger tank. I looked this up in the public library on an Ancestory.com program and it confirmed that my Grandfather's father, Albert Pfirsich-Myslinski was involved in WWII but nothing else. From listening to their stories my Grandpa says that he fought both Russians and the British in a Tiger tank, the only loop holes is that I can't find the tank number, and I'm not even sure which Tiger varient they are talking about; they also say he was a tank ace many times. If any of you know of any divisions that served on both the Eastern fronts towards the middle front, as well as the Brits in 44-45 can you PLEASE contact me?!?! I only bring this up because i have to do an AP Honors USA History report comparing and contrasting the various advantages and disadvantages of American and German tanks in WWII- I chose this topic becuase WWII happens to be the subject that we are currently focusing on, and I know a lot about the tanks used. i thought that when I talk about casualty rates I could metion the top tank aces on the American and German sides and I thought including that my Great Grandfather was a German Tank commander would be a nice add-on. Anyways please help a noobie with the division info !!!