Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Jagdpanzer IV Build

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 06:01 PM
torpedochief

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jagdpanzer IV Build

Thanks to David (DASH69) I received an almost built Jagdpanzer IV. Based on the Heng Long PZ IV hull, the conversion seems to be close in detail.

Having never modeled an assault gun or tank destroyer (you all know my passion is the TIGER) I for some reason was attracted to this little beast.

Research has been a bit hard but that is what the hobby is all about.

Armed with a little knowledge I decided I would replicate a late model version of the vehicle. So to begin I did some careful surgery to remove the two inner return rollers.

On late PZ IVs only three return rollers were used. With the returns relocated the unused holes were filled and sanded.

More later!!

Don
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl28625.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	273.1 KB
ID:	1549875  
Old 01-18-2011, 09:59 PM
thecommander

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Jagdpanzer IV Build

Hi Don,
I wish I had the time to finish my Jagdpanzer IV. Maybe we should both pledge to get them done for the AAF Tank Mus. Extravaganza at the end of April.....LOL. Perhaps that would provide an added incentive. That pic you posted looks familiar but I do not think it is the APG JPzr IV. Here are some recent pix from a research trip there in Nov 2008. The gun barel is intact and looks consistant with the rest of the paint. Unless they repaired it which is unlikely. I'll see if is can post more pix that I've accumulated for my project to assist you. Good luck and I hope you and Bill will make it to the Extravaganza.

Bob

Name:	xv64773.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	1549963   Click image for larger version

Name:	bz78625.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	1.18 MB
ID:	1549964  
Old 01-18-2011, 10:02 PM
yellowshaker
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Chief, I was just talking to Phil about building one of those!!! Of course, I changed my mind about 6 times before putting this on the back burner.
I now have 2 projects on the way and they should keep me busy for quite a long time...At least I can watch this build for when the time comes that I can build my own.

Old 01-19-2011, 04:14 PM
Ex_Pat_Tanker

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

how about an added incentive, Bob...

Just got the gun linkages to iron out and she'll be ready for the paint shop...
Old 01-19-2011, 06:07 PM
Buckeye36
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks sharp!
I can't wait to see it after paint.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:42 AM
Captain Action

Looks good Ex pat tanker, it will be nice to see it painted .

I think its a slick tank to build ,keep us updated torpedochief.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:40 PM
thecommander

You're killing me.....you're really killing me. My Tamlong Stug III is really hard to hit in battle I just can't wait to see what damage a even lower profile Jagdpanzer IV could wreak on the battlefield. What kind of camo pattern are you leaning towards? Will you add Schurzen or make it Tamiya compatable? Isn't it a shame to see those invauable pieces of history rusting away like that in Aberdeen. I just hope they get them safely to the new musuem in Fort Lee, VA before they turn into piles of rust or fall apart during the move. I fear that the tanks left behind will be lost forever.

Thanks, Bob
Old 01-24-2011, 10:54 PM
Panzerpaul

Received 25 Likes on 11 Posts

Can you share some pics of the inner workings? I'd like to now how you are making the barrel move on both axis? What motors are you using to move the barrel? Also, where did you get the metal barrel? Thanks PP
Old 01-25-2011, 04:04 PM
Ex_Pat_Tanker

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

Bob,

I'll leave the shurzen off - seems a waste to go to the trouble of correcting the return rollers and then hide them . It will have a DBCRC2 in it, El-Mod would be nice but I can't afford to fit that in all my tanks []
Paint job will probably be the 1st SS Pz JPIV from the pictures taken during the Poteau crossroads fighting in Dec 1944.

PP,
The movement is by a couple of mato stug elevation motors. The barrel is from tank-modelbau.de, I believe its out of production but you can try contacting them and asking nicely. It was intended for the Profiline kit (which is why the mantlet doesn't fit very well!), but its not hard to adapt.
The metal work is just hacked up by eye with a set of shears, and held in place with a bunch of M3 screws I have leftover from a misspent youth building computers. As I'm going to use a DBCRC2, I can get away with a cheapo Tower Hobbies Servo for recoil (I found the Futaba micro servo's I had laying around drew too much power, so I went for the cheapest and weediest ones I could find). Right now its waiting for the electronics so that I can calibrate the servo movement.

(Those of you who are easily offended by hack jobs please look away now...)

Old 01-25-2011, 05:47 PM
torpedochief

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is what I have for elevation. This is the cam from an airsoft unit. To that I have a small 5:1 gear head motor, further slowed with a resistor. The motor is wired to the elevation on the RX-18.

Don

Name:	Ec87513.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	114.8 KB
ID:	1553060