Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

poor traction issue, suggestions please!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

poor traction issue, suggestions please!

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 07:06 AM
diabolic-mind

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: poor traction issue, suggestions please!

yeah it has the rx18, power isnt the issue, traction is. the tracks are too smooth on it. ive been looking at other tanks and the tiger looks to have great tracks for snow.
Old 01-29-2011, 03:18 PM
philipat

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: thomasjohnmurphy

Get metal tracks (or weight the tank down) However the heavier the tank the stronger the drive system. Here is a video of my King Tiger in the snow. It weights alot with metal tracks but comes with 4:1 gear reduction. As you can see, it has no problem in the snow. I even had it climbing up some pretty steep snow banks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBkA1PTKyhw
Great looking KT! It also looks like the Porshe turret. Is that the new HL or a modified Matorro?

Where did you get your 4:1 gearing? I've seen the 3:1 gearboxes, but not the 4:1.

Old 01-29-2011, 04:22 PM
SgtPearce

i believe that there be the new KT From VS tank

VStank.com
>Pro
main display
Old 01-29-2011, 05:02 PM
thomasjohnmurphy

It's a Tamiya Tank with the Porche turret. It has been modified with a monoblock barrel and airsoft unit. It comes with a 4:1 gear reduction unit and speed 400 motors to give it some speed.
Old 01-29-2011, 05:06 PM
thomasjohnmurphy

I can't remember the company but I had to space out the unit about 3/16" to fit it. I am saying it is a 4:1 as that is what the company said and it does really slow the tank down. I'll post a pic of the gearing
Old 01-30-2011, 12:25 AM
philipat

It's a Tamiya Tank with the Porche turret. It has been modified with a monoblock barrel and airsoft unit. It comes with a 4:1 gear reduction unit and speed 400 motors to give it some speed.
How did you modify a Tamiya to have an airsoft unit? Is it still running Tamiya electronics or did you have to use HLelectronics?

Do post pictures...BTW...did you post pictures of this build? I don't recall seeing it.

Old 01-30-2011, 10:22 AM
milsurp53

ORIGINAL: diabolic-mind

yeah it has the rx18, power isnt the issue, traction is. the tracks are too smooth on it. ive been looking at other tanks and the tiger looks to have great tracks for snow.
The HL Tiger 1 does have great traction, but be prepared for other possible problems. The hull and swingarms are kind of weak, and the idler wheels are sloppy. This can lead to thrown tracks. There are a lot of posts on this and other forums, and the fixes are not really difficult, if you're willing to do them. (That's half the fun for me). My KV-1 has slightly better traction than my Tiger, but it was junk when purchased. Maybe try a Jagdpanther or other smaller tank with wider, more aggressive tread?
Old 01-30-2011, 10:35 AM
thomasjohnmurphy

Here's a pic of my KT's drive train. It's has Tamiya gears with a 4:1 gear reduction units and Speed 400 motors
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv65766.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	1555814   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni22990.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	1555815  
Old 01-30-2011, 12:31 PM
philipat

Here's a pic of my KT's drive train. It's has Tamiya gears with a 4:1 gear reduction units and Speed 400 motors
Looks like a set of planetary gear reductions on there with HL electronics...nicely done. How does that battery pack compare with the normal 7.2 sticks?

Old 01-30-2011, 01:25 PM
diabolic-mind

yeah ive looked at the jagdpanthers, there nice but the fixed barrel would take some getting used to. i like the rotating ability of the turret. these tanks  are like pringles and i cant have just one, ill end up with one of each of the HL tanks eventually im sure!
Old 01-30-2011, 01:34 PM
Pzjgr

Where did you get your 4:1 gear reduction units?
Old 01-30-2011, 03:59 PM
thomasjohnmurphy

It's a 2800mah battery I picked up for another tank. It has alot of capacity compared to the stock HL. I used it that day as it was already charged.
Old 01-30-2011, 04:00 PM
thomasjohnmurphy

To be honest I really don't remember. I have another set which I have yet to use.
Old 02-06-2011, 12:42 AM
diabolic-mind

i think i have found the perfect blend for my bulldog. i recently have alot of weight in it and traction was alot better. i did however notice that the overall speed was greatly reduced, and it had a higher tendency to sink into the snow. so i started thinking about re gaining some speed and also not having it sink into the snow. i knew that all the weight i had added was the cause. i then thought, if i could remove the weight and reposition the weight that the tank was designed to carry more towards the front it would essentially have the same effect. i opened it up and removed all the weight i added. i then cut all the plastic away from the inside of the battery compartment. i relocated my speaker back towards the rear, which was better anyways as the sound is closer to where the motor is in the bulldog. with the speaker in the back, and all the electronics being in the turret, i had the entire front area for the battery. i set the battery in place in the front of the tank as far forward as possible. i then used some of the stick from the structures i build and made a housing to hold the battery in place. after getting it all back together and test driving it out in the snow in the same places i was driving it before it gets along like an animal. it climbs some really steep inclines, has all the speed it did when i first got it, and no longer sinks into the softer snow. i think this is the best it has driven sofar. just wanted to share this info with everyone and hopefully if anyone else is having a traction issue with there bulldog this will help them out too. id post some pics but i just got back in from running in the snow and im letting the snow melt. if i think of it the next time i have it opened up ill snap a few pics of the batteries position
Old 02-06-2011, 08:03 PM
diabolic-mind

heres a pic of how my battery is positioned in the front of the bulldog
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23383.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	352.1 KB
ID:	1559778  
Old 02-06-2011, 08:32 PM
SgtPearce

good work, do you still have bottom access? or uh do you have to take the top off everytime?
Old 02-06-2011, 10:18 PM
diabolic-mind

the bottom still opens, when i remove the battery door the battery plug is right there and i charge the battery with it in the tank
Old 02-07-2011, 08:21 PM
SgtPearce

cool design, i like it, maybe once my Leo is off of layaway, i might have to employ this too lol