Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Another T-55 build/review

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Another T-55 build/review

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 06:49 AM
heavyaslead

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
Default RE: Another T-55 build/review

Of course, the rectifiers are really diodes.
The elevation uses a DC current so at the high point, via a micro switch, the diode ‘switches’ the motor off by way of reverse polarity inline with the motor. This forces you to engage the stick in the opposite direction to reverse DC current to swing to the low point rectifying diode.
Old 01-31-2011, 06:23 PM
RSEA

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the clarification on the diodes.

Does the Hooben recoil unit operate in the same manner as the Tamiya unit? Does the barrel move inward and outward at the same slow speed in both directions like the Tamiya units?
Old 01-31-2011, 10:03 PM
sevoblast

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

Yes. It is pretty much an exact copy of the Tamiya Pershing recoil. In fact for grins I bolted in a Tammy unit and it fits exactly as the Hooben unit.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:14 PM
RSEA

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: sevoblast

Yes. It is pretty much an exact copy of the Tamiya Pershing recoil. In fact for grins I bolted in a Tammy unit and it fits exactly as the Hooben unit.
Hmmm, how do you know it is not an actual Tamiya produced recoil unit then? lol! I really find that amusing. I think the Tamiya recoil unit could use a few design improvements. I know I've had my share of problems with the one in my Tiger.. For Hooben to completely copy it, without changing anything at all, just kinda cracks me up. If Tamiya has a patent on their recoil design they could sue Hooben, and then there would be no money left to produce the Fant (after the Tammy lawyers clean Hooben's clock).

I have to give them credit for the utilization of the "diodes" and micro switches on their elevation unit though. I researched this concept a little bit more and that was quite a clever thing for Feng to do. Tamiya should now copy Hooben's elevation unit.

How does the Hooben traverse unit compare to Tamiya's? Or is that a copy also?

Tamiya might have spies monitoring Hooben.. Their box art composition is strikingly similar to Tamiya's as well, except it lacks the nice tank painting on the inside of the lid.

They could be like Jack Byrnes, the Focker father-in-law... See these eyes, I'm watching you.. [>:] I'm watching you.. (Tamiya to Hooben).
Old 02-01-2011, 06:32 AM
heavyaslead

The recoil unit is identical in operation as the Tamiya as Bob mentioned, however it is not quite as well made in quality of construction. (As identified earlier, I had to tear apart and rebuild completely for it to work).

The turret traverse unit is well done and powerful, it is modeled after the Tam Leopard2 gearbox using a worm gear instead of radial gears. The advantage of worm is fine movements can be done easier and the odds of slippage is very small. Hooben did well on the turret rotation assembly design.

Speaking of box art and instructions, it is obvious when one looks at the kit, Hooben intentionally mimicked Tamiya’s style and format to be as familiar as a Tamiya kit would be. Despite the look of a Tamiya kit, do not expect the build to go the same as this kit is not as well engineered as Tamiya kits.

I wonder many times while building this kit if Hooben’s R&D actually pulled a box of the shelf and tried to build one themselves –by the instructions-
Old 02-01-2011, 07:04 AM
heavyaslead

Though not part of the Hooben kit, it is informative to show the custom speaker box fashioned for the space in the front of the hull.

It is a complicated design since it was desired to maximize internal volume of the sealed box for better acoustics. Cotton batting was added inside the box as well.

The kit is shown assembled with the Tamiya TBS installed in the gunners hatch.

The gun shroud still needs to be constructed along with some minor paint detail and mounting the turret machine gun.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96919.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	134.3 KB
ID:	1556784   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av67620.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	134.6 KB
ID:	1556785   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc77907.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	1556786   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tm30326.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	1556787   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gs94463.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	1556788   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wn86287.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	1556789  
Old 02-01-2011, 08:34 AM
kclank

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: heavyaslead

The recoil unit is identical in operation as the Tamiya as Bob mentioned, however it is not quite as well made in quality of construction. (As identified earlier, I had to tear apart and rebuild completely for it to work).

The turret traverse unit is well done and powerful, it is modeled after the Tam Leopard2 gearbox using a worm gear instead of radial gears. The advantage of worm is fine movements can be done easier and the odds of slippage is very small. Hooben did well on the turret rotation assembly design.

Speaking of box art and instructions, it is obvious when one looks at the kit, Hooben intentionally mimicked Tamiya’s style and format to be as familiar as a Tamiya kit would be. Despite the look of a Tamiya kit, do not expect the build to go the same as this kit is not as well engineered as Tamiya kits.

I wonder many times while building this kit if Hooben’s R&D actually pulled a box of the shelf and tried to build one themselves –by the instructions-
It would have been nice if they could of incorporated the impact type of upgrade with a modified main gear and heavy recoil spring.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:12 AM
heavyaslead

That would have been nice, of course the Tamiya recoil for the Leopard already has this recoil spring. So you could substitute the Leopard recoil unit for the standard kit version.
Old 02-01-2011, 12:03 PM
rshermanking

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

hi , thought i show you some pics of mine at the start of painting all be it in primer. will be first painted green then with yellow which hopfully will be heavely worn and weathered .

rshermanking

Name:	Ge95767.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	1556897   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu66532.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	1556898   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp33533.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	1556899   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rl25889.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	1556900   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ep84532.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	1556901   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zq95890.jpg
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	1556902   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bd67055.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	1556903   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nm42439.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	1556904  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Hg70465.jpg
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	1556905  
Old 02-01-2011, 12:31 PM
heavyaslead

Looks like you added external fuel lines, nice detail!

Also noticed you added detail to the gunners hatch underside, or was I missing a piece?

I see your gunners coupola has the MG mount. Mine was broken off the sprue when it came and had no idea how it looked. So I imagined my own from wire. LOL
Old 02-01-2011, 01:39 PM
rshermanking

thank you eric , yes the fuel lines did work out well which were the first of the extra detail i wont`d to do .
as for the gunners hatch underside no you were not missing anything it was scracth built from some photos i thound on the web , not tottaly correct but close . as for the mg mount yes mine was complete but the gun was not though i did not want gun on the tank so wasn`t that bothered. hope to have it fully primed for the weekend to be painted green then the yellow with weathering with the end result looking something like this .

robert

Name:	Tr49256.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	209.7 KB
ID:	1556940  
Old 02-09-2011, 06:21 AM
Chow_Hound

I love your build. Can you give me some detail about the IR lighting you've done? Was it just as simple as connecting the wires and plugging it in or is it more involved?
Old 02-09-2011, 09:52 AM
rshermanking

hi bbc-kt you may want to ask that question to heavyaslead as it`s his build thread not mine, i was just butting in and showing how far i got with mine.

rshermanking
Old 02-09-2011, 10:30 AM
heavyaslead

Hello Jimmy

The IR lighting is simulated by using RED LED's wired through 330 Ohm resistors and connected directly to the battery via a separate ON/OFF switch.

It is always a debate whether to have this remote controlled via the electronics or not. I chose the simple method and opted to have the ability to use the lights when the electronics are OFF.

I plan to make some video and post those to show the running.

Old 02-10-2011, 08:23 PM
Chow_Hound

I can't wait to see it running.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:22 AM
Chow_Hound

Hey Eric,
How did you mount the Battle system? Did you fashion your own mounting?
Old 03-02-2011, 06:48 PM
heavyaslead

Well, yes and no for the battle sytem 'apple' mounting.

I did use the Tamiya mounting plug, I just added some stryrene to 'level up' the underside with the inner turret roof contour.
Old 03-11-2011, 12:40 AM
Chow_Hound

Following your build has helped me a lot. Keep up the good work. Look forward to seeing you in Danville.
Old 03-11-2011, 02:13 AM
Koenigstiger

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Hallo,

you can get the first new parts for the Hooben T55 model in germany =

http://www.axels-modellbau-shop.de/k...116::6401.html

Best greetings from gemany

the KT...
Old 03-30-2011, 12:00 AM
fjcaron

I'm a new member here on RC Universe, referred from another member, I recently purchased the Hooben T-55 as I've desired a Russian tank other than the KV-1 and KV-2 by Tamiya and the price point was great on these, I purchased it from Bob at ETO Armor when I was buying upgrade parts for my Tiger I. At any rate I was referred to this thread by the same friend who referred me to this group, and "heavyaslead" you have shared a wealth of information, I want to thank you, I've printed all your thoughts and construction tips and added those with my instructions so that when I begin on mine I will ave some additional information to supplement for any issues I run into. Regarding the Tamiya DMD unit, which did you use, was it any one, or a specific unit that you utilized in your build?

Thanks,

Frank Caron
San Francisco, CA

Tamiya - Leopard 2A6, Super Sherman M51, Sherman M4, Tiger I & Hooben T-55
Old 03-30-2011, 08:05 AM
Chow_Hound

Hey Eric,
How were you able to get the clearance between the DMD and MF units and the upper hull? I've set mine up like yours and the turret ring rests on the units and will not allow me to mate the upper and lower hulls.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:39 AM
DirtyBird69

wow...I love the lights, where did you get the clear lenses for them?
Old 03-30-2011, 11:18 AM
heavyaslead

Thank you Frank

The DMD/MF combination could be any of the Tamiya tanks. If you want a relatively accurate sound, you may want to choose the KV-I electronics (both DMD and MF unit with communications cable).

Just don't get the M4 Sherman as it does not have electronic recoil although the 'Super Sherman' kit does. As a note the DMD is primarily the ESC and controller for the motors and could be mix and match with any other MF unit. The MF unit controls the sounds so if engine sound similar to a T55 is desired go for the KV-I unit.

I understand there is a third party electronics unit 'SLU' that Fireman Tim has mentioned that also controls all the functions and has the benifit of real T55 sounds.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:26 AM
heavyaslead

Hello Jimmy

It is a tight fit.

Basically trim off the plastic standoffs at the bottom of the hull and place the MF unit as low as it will seat in the hull. The DMD unit is set on top and askew that the ring gear will clear the FET's sticking out the top.

This should allow the ring gear to just touch the DMD unit, if you need more clearance try shaving the rotation unit mounting standoffs about 1-2mm and likewise shim the turret to sit a bit higher on the upper hull to add a bit more clearance.

Truthfully, I may go with the SLU unit at some point as it is much smaller and will relieve space issues.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:28 AM
heavyaslead

Hello DirtyBird

the kit actually comes with lenses! The designer foresaw the builder installing lights (provision for but no bulbs supplied with kit).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.