Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Until Mato makes an M3 Lee, My M3 Grant will be......

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Until Mato makes an M3 Lee, My M3 Grant will be......

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 10:34 AM
Rex Ross

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Until Mato makes an M3 Lee, My M3 Grant will be......

ORIGINAL: edoubleaz

No more excuses, now that you have a collection of true ''desert'' vehicles we expect you to battle with DAK soonest!
~~~~~~~~

I would love to visit youse guys in Arizona and enjoy acting like a snowbird until it gets hot enough to bake cookies in your car. I have a really good friend in Casa Grande I could freeload off of while I teach youse guys why the Kellys Heroes tank club rules!

I really miss Arizona, I lived there between 1960 and 1976. Loved it. But ya never know pardner.........I just might mosey down that way for a spell someday.
Old 02-18-2011, 10:35 AM
kclank

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rex if you can get some dust bunnies, concrete dust, chalk or dry dirt (after it quits raining of course) then crush the stuff and apply the dust to the tank with a paint brush. If you like it, spray with a flat lacquer, it you don't, wipe it off and try again.
Old 02-18-2011, 11:23 AM
Rex Ross

ORIGINAL: kclank

Rex if you can get some dust bunnies, concrete dust, chalk or dry dirt (after it quits raining of course) then crush the stuff and apply the dust to the tank with a paint brush. If you like it, spray with a flat lacquer, it you don't, wipe it off and try again.
~~~~~

That's a really good suggestion, ya gave my memory a good kick.............I dragged out a box of very expensive dust that I never used and forgot about. I also have a bunch of pastel sticks and chalk that I never used. I like the idea of using dry stuff that can be easily cleaned off for a do over. My house is loaded with dust bunnies. It's gonna be round up time.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ol31470.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	1565952  
Old 02-18-2011, 01:44 PM
Rex Ross

ORIGINAL: YHR

Great Job on an interesting tank.

I suggest you seal the paint you have applied, and then start weathering with acrylics. If you don't like them you can spray windex on the tank and they will wipe off. Knowing that anything you try can be easily removed takes away the fear factor.
~~~~~~~~~~~

I use Model Master Lusterless (flat lacquer) and Testors Dullcote. I decided to seal it and came real close to a disaster. I think I should have given the paint more time to dry first because the Model Master affected the Tamiya Acrylic paint that I used.

I know, that was dumb.......I was anxious to get this model done and I sprayed lacquer on acrylic that was only dry to the touch. I know better, but I sometimes I get stupid. Even when I am stone cold sober. Go figure.

I was horrified at the condition of the black and white borders. They melted, blurred, shrunk up and cracked. Shoot me! Just shoot me!

I spent many hours fixing up, touching up and trimming up the damage. I guess I was a little heavy handed on the spraying and should have done some other things differently, but I goofed (this ain't the first time).

This week I'm gonna review all of the painting tips I have dowloaded from this forum and see what weathering I can do with an airbrush. Or maybe I'll make a model of the building at Bovington and leave this tank alone! Gee, then I could build a model of the Matilda that's next to it in the museum!

However as a result of this M3 paint scheme, there is one model I will never build and paint.........a Zebra.

Old 02-18-2011, 09:38 PM
thecommander

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow.... It came out great Rex, Fine job... Bob
Old 02-19-2011, 09:40 AM
wright 971

Hi Thanks for the info on the model,shame there no longer around,great photos of the gear case you have made it look easy ,will give it a try and see if I can make a couple ,one for my Tamiya and one for the Mato Sherman.

regards pete
Old 02-19-2011, 12:42 PM
Rex Ross

ORIGINAL: thecommander

Wow.... It came out great Rex, Fine job... Bob
~~~~~~~~~

Yeah....I'm happy with it. I would never have tried it if it wasn't for the extra photos of the Bovington museum tank you sent.

Thank you!

I'm going to experiment with the suggestions that have been posted to weather it, and make it look like it was in the desert for more than a day. But I'm gonna experiment on scrap plastic first!!!!!!!!!

I feel like I should thank everyone who hangs out on this forum for all of the good ideas, solutions, links, inspirations and constructive comments I have seen posted. I kinda think of everyone as "friends I've never met". Sooooooooooo, thanks to all of youse guys!

Rex
Old 02-19-2011, 01:29 PM
Captain Action

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love the Lees and Grant tanks, and once again a great build .
By the way did you paint the Stuart Too ..
Old 02-19-2011, 02:52 PM
B/Man

Great work, the camo scheme looks awesome. I think that's the first Kiwi tank I've seen on this site too.
Old 02-19-2011, 04:22 PM
Rex Ross

ORIGINAL: B/Man

Great work, the camo scheme looks awesome. I think that's the first Kiwi tank I've seen on this site too.
~~~~~~~~~~

I took a chance that my decals would be acceptable as New Zealand, I really had no idea what would be accurate. I have to apologize for my ignorance about ID markings of Commonwealth armor, I just kinda looked through my decal stash for something that looked like it might work. I'm not known for the accuracy of my work, I just do what I like, and I like what I do.

Rex
Old 02-19-2011, 11:27 PM
Rex Ross

ORIGINAL: Captain Action

~~~~~~~~~~~

No, I haven't repainted my M3A1 for service in Tunisia. The troops using it on Guadalcanal won't give it up. They said Montgomery and Patton would have to make do with what they have. Hey Mac, there's a war on........things are tough all over.

Rex

Name:	Rp42979.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	1566819  
Old 02-20-2011, 06:21 AM
1sgt

ORIGINAL: Rex Ross

ORIGINAL: Captain Action

~~~~~~~~~~~

No, I haven't repainted my M3A1 for service in Tunisia. The troops using it on Guadalcanal won't give it up. They said Montgomery and Patton would have to make do with what they have. Hey Mac, there's a war on........things are tough all over.

Rex

Rex,
Is the Stuart 1/16th if so did you do a build thread on it. It looks fantastic as well as your Lee/Grant tank. The paint job really is fantastic.

Jim
Old 02-20-2011, 07:18 AM
Rex Ross

Rex,
Is the Stuart 1/16th if so did you do a build thread on it. It looks fantastic as well as your Lee/Grant tank. The paint job really is fantastic.

Jim
[/quote]

~~~~~~~~

No, I didn't do a build thread......for some reason I just can't get into the habit of doing that. I just never think anybody will be interested in whatever I'm building at the time (or that it's gonna be worth a darn). The Stuart is a 120mm (1/15) static resin model made by Verlinden. I don't know if it's still available. I wanted to R/C it, but that didn't work out for me. One of the tankers who did build an R/C M3 Stuart posted a build thread on this forum in the past. Does anyone remember who that was (before I do a search)? However, I did scratchbuild an R/C M5A1 with an interchangeable M8 turret using the M3 as a dimensional guide. That worked out pretty good. I used the r/c gear out of the Tamiya Sherman and modified the track for this model.

Name:	Hf99995.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	119.1 KB
ID:	1566916   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57291.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	1566917   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ro42053.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	1566918   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50290.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	1566919   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv65111.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	1566920   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60936.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	1566921   Click image for larger version

Name:	tr51710.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	1566922  
Old 02-20-2011, 07:25 AM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Rex you consistantly show off unique stuff. I really like Stuarts
Old 02-20-2011, 08:30 AM
Rex Ross

ORIGINAL: YHR

Rex you consistantly show off unique stuff. I really like Stuarts
~~~~~~~~

Ya like Stuarts? ............ You will love this............an incredible scratchbuild of an R/C Stuart this could be a centerfold in Tankboy magazine. This model has left me speechless.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_89...tm.htm#8928635