Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Panzer IV Ausf H

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 02:31 PM
EOT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Panzer IV Ausf H

Awhile back on the SNFF I posted my Panzer IV ausf H I was building. Well it's finally finished
with her markings now on including division stencils. I decided to leave the unit number as an
outline only as some were done that way. I don't know if this tank had it's number done that way
so please don't take it as gospel it's not, just just a pigment of my imagination that makes ME
happy !
It is a Hen Long with asiatam 3 to 1 gearsets, asiatam recoil, DBCRC2 battle system,metal tracks,
handmade zimmerit. She also has all hatches that open and a kitbashed cupola and
Tamiya schurzen.
I decided too enter it in the annual model contest at the Flint MI Rider's Hobby store.
I found out this is the longest running contest in the US! 28 years and counting! Not
the biggest or the best just the longest. Imagine my surprise when it won 2nd in the
military category .
I'm planning on bringing this too Danville at the end of the month for the extravaganza
Now then on too the next project: Panzerkampwagon V Panther Ausf G early..........

Mike

EOT

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56426.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	138.3 KB
ID:	1591511   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw71054.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	128.2 KB
ID:	1591512   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot49273.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	120.4 KB
ID:	1591513   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ys49346.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	135.6 KB
ID:	1591514  
Old 04-09-2011, 02:35 PM

Default RE: Panzer IV Ausf H

what did you use for the zimmerit
Old 04-09-2011, 02:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks good. Bit too clean and could use some Dull Coat. Could make it a lot more realistic by rusting the muffler and putting some Grimey Black on the tow cable. Any tank with external mufflers will show a lot of rust....heat will burn off the paint in 3-4 hrs of running and the paint there would indicate it has never been run. A couple doses of Rust All will do it up fine.
Old 04-09-2011, 02:40 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That came out very well! Nice work!
Old 04-09-2011, 03:12 PM

BOOO HISSS!!! I demand a recount!!! The judges were paid off! No way that should have taken 2nd! That is a FIRST PLACE if I ever saw one.....LOL

Great work my Brother!!!!

Don
Old 04-09-2011, 03:45 PM
My Feedback: (5)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

EOT,
That looks great! Myself I like the low mileage just drove off the lot look. Paul
Old 04-09-2011, 05:42 PM
EOT

Thank you for the positive comments! Pattoncommander your right about the muffler it needs some rust. It'll get weathered soon enough with the way I beat on tanks. The zimmerit was done with Milliput and an exacto with a #16 blade and several bucket loads of patience[:@]. I entered it more to get exposure for the R/C tanks than too win anything, before this I'd never entered a model contest. The winning entry was an equisitely
done medieval knight with chain mail and all grung like he'd walked off a battlefied. It was standing in front of the tank  in the display case. Good thing I didn't have my radio or it might have gone home with some fresh new tank tread marks . Seriously whoever bid the knight did a beautiful job.

Mike               
                                                                                                                     EOT                                                                       
Old 04-09-2011, 05:57 PM
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: pattoncommander

Looks good. Bit too clean and could use some Dull Coat. Could make it a lot more realistic by rusting the muffler and putting some Grimey Black on the tow cable. Any tank with external mufflers will show a lot of rust....heat will burn off the paint in 3-4 hrs of running and the paint there would indicate it has never been run. A couple doses of Rust All will do it up fine.
Bill, don't be such a curmudgeon! The tank is great looking, well detailed and was obviously was just cleaned before operations. That's a great looking PzKw IV one of my favourite panzers. Great build BTW!
Old 04-09-2011, 06:08 PM

Hey eggy, Not a crudmudgeon....the tank does look great,, as I indicated....just offering a little insight for realism. Most guys on the forum want to have a tank that looks like a tank, not a Mattel toy. Didn't say anything about the zimmerit on the fenders
Old 04-09-2011, 06:27 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

a coat of baking soda and a mixture of black and rust red paint will sort the exhaust out in no time

Wot, no hull schurzen...? [:-]

Old 04-09-2011, 07:12 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: EOT

Awhile back on the SNFF I posted my Panzer IV ausf H I was building. Well it's finally finished
with her markings now on including division stencils. I decided to leave the unit number as an
outline only as some were done that way. I don't know if this tank had it's number done that way
so please don't take it as gospel it's not, just just a pigment of my imagination that makes ME
happy !
It is a Hen Long with asiatam 3 to 1 gearsets, asiatam recoil, DBCRC2 battle system,metal tracks,
handmade zimmerit. She also has all hatches that open and a kitbashed cupola and
Tamiya schurzen.
I decided too enter it in the annual model contest at the Flint MI Rider's Hobby store.
I found out this is the longest running contest in the US! 28 years and counting! Not
the biggest or the best just the longest. Imagine my surprise when it won 2nd in the
military category .
I'm planning on bringing this too Danville at the end of the month for the extravaganza
Now then on too the next project: Panzerkampwagon V Panther Ausf G early..........

Mike

EOT

Nice work! Where did you get your tow cable with the ends? Looks like real wire all around.

Old 04-10-2011, 05:35 AM
EOT

Philipat ,

The tow cables are  Tamiya Panther G pieces I borrowed for the P4. The back end looked a little bare so I busied it up a bit.
They are painted with Tamiya metallic black but it came out more silver than black.

Bill,

I don't think your a crudmudgeon (LOL) either.  I see someone trying too help another modeler. Someone who's been around AFV's knows more than I do
Just a note on the zimmerit covered fender. One of the books I own shows a 12th SS panzer IV with zimmerit  On the fenders. It didn't make much sense too me either but then zimmerit on the turret schurzen doesn't make sense either since it's basically stand off armor. The more I research German armor the more variances I find, they were all over the place sometimes.

Mike
                                                                                                                      EOT   

Old 04-10-2011, 06:17 AM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

Zimmerit on fenders and the turret screens:

(edited to fix the picture...)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Gd93994.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	1591737  
Old 04-11-2011, 12:39 PM

Mike, yeah, WW II German armor can get very involved and as the war progressed, many tank crews made do with what they had or improvised, disregarding regs. Anything could be seen. Now, if you want to get into something very complicated and complex, dig into IDF Armor. [&:] Zimmerit on sheet metal basically doesn't make sense, but on the other hand, Schürtzen were designed as a protection against shaped charge ammo, and Zimmerit was against magnetic mines, so maybe there is a point to be made on behalf of the TC who may have been had a sad experience with magnetic mines. If there's a photo of it being used, "nuff said"
Old 04-11-2011, 01:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

people get quite surprised when they see the work and craftsmanship that goes into this hobby. Here you need to be part mechanic part electrician part artist and part therapist. One hell of a resume huh. LOL by the way, looks like a blue ribboner to me. you was robbed.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:27 PM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice tank. The fact you can take a Heng Long toy and upgrade it speaks volumes for showcasing this scale. I am sure if people knew this started out as a RTR $100 toy they would be even more impressed.

Good job, It does look clean and pristine, but inside with a flash can do that to a model. As it is an RC tank some running in the dust will natually fix this.