Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Suitable Environments for RC Tanks?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Suitable Environments for RC Tanks?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 05:12 AM
dlobmwm3
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Suitable Environments for RC Tanks?

Hi Guys,

I'm about to present a present for my soon to be 6 yr old with a Tamiya Sherman. He's fairly good at keeping expensive toys in one piece, therefore the tank is a present. I have a question about what is suitable for these tanks? Sand? We have a sand box and I'm sure he'll take it in there, but not bury it in there. The beach? Small puddles?

Thanks guys.
Old 04-14-2011, 05:57 AM
candycab

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Suitable Environments for RC Tanks?

Awesome gift [8D]

A Sherman probably wont do very well in the sand since it has very narrow Tracks. I'm sure some of our resident Sherm drivers will chime in on that.

The main thing too think about is anything that bogs the Tracks down will create more resistance in the electronics (Wet Sand,Mud etc) so don't let things get stuck in there (sticks or Twigs and sometimes Pebbles) and try to keep driving without removing it or you could smoke the boards. Keeping that in mind you should be able to drive it pretty much like you would a real Tank, just remember they all have limitations.  Waterproofing the hull should be a straight forward affair (clear Silicon works great) just use common sense and try not to go boating with it 

Old 04-14-2011, 06:47 AM
shenlonco
My Feedback: (2)

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Best is hard packed dirt and very short grass or dead grass.
you don't want to run in sand as it gets in all the tracks and can do damage also spots with lots of small pebbles or sticks they get lodged in the tracks also and tend to mess things up.
Old 04-14-2011, 06:48 AM
heavyaslead

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

The most dangerous evironment is the tank driver.

I mean that with a bit of humor as most breakages are due to one's overestimating its engineered ability.

Honestly though, even adults tear up the tanks, so watch your son and direct away from 'impossible things tanks could not do' and should have a long service life.

Old 04-14-2011, 08:11 AM
Tanque

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts

I personally avoid sand ( some might say I avoid running altogether ) as a matter of choice. Can they run in it?
Certainly, at least to their inherent capability. Just keep in mind sand paper- good for wearing materials down.

I prefer hard packed dirt, loose fine dirt or even mud albeit messy. Avoid grass, especially long grass. And pea gravel;
nasty stuff. Concrete is ok but boring.

Jerry
Old 04-17-2011, 07:59 PM
hatakashi

The best environment is ... WET MUD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-17-2011, 08:17 PM
thecommander

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AVOID: Tall or wet grass, gravel, wood chips, curbs, puddles over one inch, steps and jumping kids. Not too bad if you clean it well afterwards are: mud, snow, loose dirt or sand. Teach him alway to put is down on a wood 4x4 block to prevent a runaway tank. OUCH!!!! [] He is a great boy and I'm sure he will do well. Teach him how to drive it in reverse. He will need it in battle in two weeks. Get him used to carrying the tank and TX separately and never to run with it. We all look forwrd to seeing your Sherman on the battlefield.
Bob
Old 04-17-2011, 08:42 PM
sevoblast

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

Depends on the type of mud.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39554.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	1595500   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ed10063.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	1595501   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49631.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	1595502  
Old 04-17-2011, 09:14 PM
WhiteWolf McBride
My Feedback: (3)

Agree with Commander here...

Teach him the R/C basics - Tx on first, off last; making sure the power switch is off when ya plug in the batteries; turning the beast off when you're carrying it from the bench to the running area, if thats allowed/recommended.

If his transmitter has a carry strap loop on it, make sure the neckstrap (most come with one) is sized to fit him properly so it can dangle at his side and he can use both hands to carry the tank (with Tx & tank OFF) or if you want to go further, make a Tx-tray. Basically, its a metal bib-tray that usually hangs from the shoulders, so that the Tx is supported, and you have less arm strain. Think of it as a lap-tray for when you don't have a lap...

I thought I had a pic of a simple DIY one, but google "tx tray" and have a look. It shouldn't be too hard to make one.

PS: some ones you can buy are [link=http://shop.rcamodels.com/]here (RCA Models)[/link], might give ya ideas - shows me how easily I can do the straps - a few metres of webbing and a few buckles and loops from Mountain Equipment Corp. $5 tops, not $30.

Another site: http://www.rctraymanusa.com/ (also found a home-made one in another RC group, dunno if I can post the link)

Look around, may be a design or two in the classifieds here to give ya ideas. Its not that difficult to make one... (I'll probably go get my materials later this week *wink*) Thanks for the reminder!
Old 04-18-2011, 08:05 AM
hatakashi

Mud...thicker and wetter the BETTER hehehehehe
And of course, water!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-18-2011, 08:55 AM
Green Amphibian

I guess the size of your tank may have something to do with it also.
Old 04-18-2011, 02:12 PM
yellowshaker
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LOL Show off!