Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Heng Long - Fakes ???

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 05:25 AM
nheather

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heng Long - Fakes ???

Hi,

Long time in RC but never had a tank. Never bothered before because I always thought them too expensive (Tamiya) for my casual interest.

But I have recently been reading about the Heng Long tanks and it has got me interested.

I have found Heng Long Panther G Pro (metal tracks and gears) for sale in the UK around the £100 mark.

But although they are advertised as Heng Long could it be that they are cheaper copies.

The reason I'm thinking like this, is that the one I have seen introduced here was all grey (gray) but the ones I see for sale are a toy-like application of the dark yellow, green, red brown camoflage.

Also the drive sproket is shown as unpainted metal - as it is in all the Heng Pro models being offered by these sellers.

In addition, I've read here that the new Heng Long Panther G comes with an RX-18 module but the ones described just have 2 speed forward and reverse.

The paint finish isn't an issue because I would repaint myself anyway, but I'm concerned that I might be buying a cheaper copy.

Is there a good way I can identify whether it is genuine or not - bearing in mind that this is most likely to be an online purchase.

Do Heng Long have a website - I've not found one with basic googling.

Cheers,

Nigel
Old 04-26-2011, 05:36 AM
fynsdad

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Heng Long - Fakes ???

Hi Nigel,
Heng long used to have produced a panther for some time, but this was based on the tiger chassis and was very inaccurate. This may-be the one you have found advertised. The newer "G" model is the one you need, but as you say on-line purchaces are a bit risky. I've been into RC tanks here in the UK for a few years,and have made loads of contacts as well as friends, so if you need any help PM me and we'll see if we can't get you tanking
Frank
Old 04-26-2011, 05:49 AM
Pah co chu puk

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

If it has spare tracks mounted on the front then it is the old style and you should pass. 

The new HL Panther has no tracks mounted on the front and is MUCH better built.  It is also much more historicaly accurate.

Just make sure it is a Panther G and not just a Panther.
Old 04-26-2011, 12:44 PM
1sgt

Also, If the add says only two speeds, it's more then likely a non sound and smoke tank. The sound and smoke tanks come with proportional speed control much much better then the two speed ( fast and faster ).
Good luck.

Jim
Old 04-26-2011, 02:05 PM
nheather

Many thanks for the help so far. It seems that the ones I am looking at are genuine Panter G. But I have another question

It is the proper new shape. It is listed as having the smoke and sound generators.

But when it comes to speed control it says 2 speeds forward and 2 speeds backwards.

Can this be correct - I would only be interested in the proportional speed (10 speed) and from what I've read here, having the sound and smoke would suggest I would get that.

Do you think the 2 speeds is a typo (cut and paste from old model) or was there an earlier version of the new shape Panther G that only had 2 speeds.

Cheers,

Nigel
Old 04-26-2011, 02:14 PM
fynsdad

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi again Nigel
Unfortunatly there are a lot of dealers out there who do not know anything about what they are selling, as you say, the 2-speeds is a mistake. Another common quoteis 3-band widths and demo function. As long as you get a smoke and sound tank they will have the proportional control.
Frank
Old 04-26-2011, 03:27 PM
herrmill

Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts

There are no fakes or copycat factories making Heng Long tanks, only dozens of trading companies who claim to be the factory.

Their website is www.henglongtoys.net which, by the way, is exactly what their tanks are... toys!
Old 04-26-2011, 07:16 PM
candycab

This is the Authorized seller for Heng Long Tanks in North America.

http://matomart.com/homepage.php

I'm sure the shipping to the UK would be insane from Canada but you can use this to see what HL currently has on the market as well as Mato upgrades etc.

They will also answer any questions you may have, though you can do the same here as most everyone here knows these Tanks better than most of the sellers that carry them

Old 04-27-2011, 02:39 AM
Wozwasnt

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Check out these UK sellers-
[link=http://www.welshdragonmodels.co.uk/]welshdragonmodels[/link]
[link=http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/forgebear]Forgebear[/link]

Both are great dealers who know their onions.