Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

World of Tanks Game

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 06:01 PM
dlobmwm3
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default World of Tanks Game

Check it out!!! www.worldoftanks.com/
Old 04-28-2011, 06:07 PM
Stince

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: World of Tanks Game

It's not a bad game, if you don't mine fighting invisible tanks. You be fighting a tank and will disappear and show up a few seconds later. The beta verision was better. If they fix this glich it's a great game.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:14 PM
candycab

Someone posted a thread about this game a few months back and apparently there are quite a few here who play it 

I was going to give it a whirl but its online only and wouldn't play nice with my 1.8meg Satellite connection. 

Old 04-29-2011, 02:31 AM
Wozwasnt

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I've had no problems with disappearing tanks. My only problem is my PC is too old and things get very jumpy when the fighting gets close.
Old 04-29-2011, 11:34 AM
STO_118

ORIGINAL: Wozwasnt

I've had no problems with disappearing tanks. My only problem is my PC is too old and things get very jumpy when the fighting gets close.
Then you must be the only one. I had an IS go behind a bush 10m from me and disappear and this frequently happens. The spotting system in the game is also idiotic and nearly all the shooting is carried out by random so there is not much skill involved other than simply leading a target. German armour is a waste of space as well. In a nutshell the game suffers from poor game systems, if you fancy playing I would wait until the second major fix as it has not changed much since closed beta and most of the problems remain.
Old 04-29-2011, 02:19 PM
Shabbernigdo

yeah the invis tanks will make you wanna pull your hair out specially when they finally do show up and they were shooting you from like 25 feet away the whole time :P

But other then that and a few buggy LOS and matchmaking quirks its a pretty fun game. German armor isint bad i can do work with the VK
Old 04-29-2011, 03:45 PM
STO_118

It is indeed, it is playable and for the most part well done. Just those little things can drive you up the wall. Most of the German tree relies on the 88 and I that is not quite as good as it should be. That in the fact most of the German tanks were designed in the late 30's and the Russians much later.
Old 04-29-2011, 04:40 PM
Frantz70

The game developers are russan so any advantages German armor had is nullified, the game favors t34 type mass attacks, that and American and russan armor trees are heavy into prototype and post war armor.
Old 04-30-2011, 07:26 PM
Martellus

ORIGINAL: Frantz70

The game developers are russan so any advantages German armor had is nullified, the game favors t34 type mass attacks, that and American and russan armor trees are heavy into prototype and post war armor.
1. thats a cheapexcuse everyone uses

2. No its not.German tankshave much heavier armor and guns than any other nation

3. Its called a medium rush, also known as an assualt, and you just need some competent teamwork to hold that off.

4.Thats because, if you havent noticed, US didnt exactly produce many tanks, so they have to. German tanks, while they have more, also have a good bit of protype armor. note the GW tiger or the maus? Besides, why does that matter? it gives everyone a chance to experience tanks that could have been.

Old 04-30-2011, 08:08 PM
Frantz70

View is limited to 500 meters and under, that nullifies German optics, armor and gun advantages that they did have.  I think I would be happy to have it Sherman vs T34 vs PZ IV with an occasional IS1, Kv, M26 or Tiger 1 joining in the mix.
Old 05-01-2011, 06:00 AM
STO_118

ORIGINAL: Martellus

1. thats a cheapexcuse everyone uses

And yet, it is true. The only real exception to this rule is the Leopard, Panzer IV (L70) and King Tiger, and even then they are not really amazingly better. Another example is the fact that the KV-1, when full upgraded remains a superior tank. The KV-3 with the 122mm outguns the Tiger and is a full tier below the Tiger. German armour remains mediocre up to and including the Tiger. Although finally, the new balances will address this somewhat.
2. No its not. German tanks have much heavier armor and guns than any other nation
Wrong, the main German armanernt is the L56 88 as fitted to the standard Tiger. While not a bad gun it cannot compete with the Russian guns at the same tier. Please don't quote 1vs1 fights because they seldom happen. The armour is all rated to 1930's standards and is vertical in nature, this is very easy to overcome. Compared to the Heavy sloped Russian armour which tends to be thinner but the slope increases the thickness and also the chances of richochet.

Germanys main positive points of their tanks was the range at which the could engage the enemy, since the game is limited to 500m they have lost that edge. Their armour, mobilty and firepower makes them weaker than Russan equivalents, Overlord essentially said this when he used the lame excuse they needed more skill to play.
3. Its called a medium rush, also known as an assualt, and you just need some competent teamwork to hold that off.
And I've only seen it work once. But that is irrelevant.

4.Thats because, if you havent noticed, US didnt exactly produce many tanks, so they have to. German tanks, while they have more, also have a good bit of protype armor. note the GW tiger or the maus? Besides, why does that matter? it gives everyone a chance to experience tanks that could have been.
It matters because it is still a game, and balance needs to be included in order to be fun. The developers are finally doing something about it by making substantial improvements to the German tree. You talk about cheap excuses but why then is the reshuffling of the tech trees almost entirely concentrated on buffing the German armour and nerfing the Russian Armour. Russian Heavies are essentially being shunted up a tier while the German armour is being pushed down a tier. With the introduction of the E series perhaps we will get some of the balance we need, although most of the E series was paper panzers and the Russian Armour actually saw combat.

Here is hoping the German armour becomes viable, because with the exception of a few good tanks and a couple exceptional tanks there is not much there. In the meantime most of my time is spent on Russan armour, the free KV-2 won't hurt either.

Old 05-01-2011, 09:21 AM
EasterBunny

IMO, too many people complain about the game not being historically accurate. It is a game after-all and it is meant to be fun to play. I compare it to an advanced form of chess. Every tank has its weak points, strong points and a purpose. The team that uses understands this the best usually comes out on top.

The in-game Tiger I, when fully upgraded is a great tank, but don't try to lead the charge with it. It's vertical armor is no match for the sloping armor of most the heavy tanks its ranked against. Where it exceeds, is a sniper tank where it sits back and utilizes the accuracy and power of its main gun. (Must have light or medium tanks to scout targets). The Tiger II gave me the best results of any tank that I used in the beta. I ended the beta with 3 rounds of 10 kills (out of 15 possible) using the Tiger II. My overall impression of the German tanks in the game were that they had superior optics, accuracy and radio distance. There weakness's were chance to catch fire and in the higher tiers they face newer designs from both USSR and the US which have better armor and speed.

As for the invisible tanks, you have to discount the tank destroyers as they are all set that way to offset the lack of a turret. In most cases the invisible tanks are the result of you being spotted by a tank with a better viewing range (or hidden tank) and he is lighting you up for the rest of his team to target. A tank destroyer with a periscope and camouflage add-on that sits motionless & does not fire to give its position away can make a very good spotter. There was an example of a Russian IS tank disappearing at very close range, and yes I have seen this before numerous times. The IS is a very low tank, the game uses this factor in determining how a tank hides in bushes or trees. Tall tanks are harder to hide. The other factor is your tank crews skill level. If you face off against a tank that has a crew with a 100 % camouflage skill rating, they will disappear very quickly after firing. Overall the invisible tank thing can be frustrating, but can easily be offset by a team with good scouts, not the kind that drive straight into the other teams base then get blown up.

So far my favorite tanks in game have been, for the Germans, the VK 3601, Tiger I & II, Marder II, Stug III, Ferdinand, Jadgtiger, and Pz III. The VK 4502 Ausf B was ok. For the Russians, the KV and the T-28. I hate the KV 3. I will have the IS shortly (heard it was very enjoyable).
For the US I really enjoyed the Sherman M4A3E8, and the Pershing. The Pershing , IMO, is a better tank than the T-54 that is compares against, but takes more skill to use. I cannot comment on the US heavies, but friends really enjoy them (once you get past the M3 Lee).

My only grief with the game is the match ranking system. Too often you see tanks in a match that have no chance of doing any damage to the opposing team. In some cases they have been dragged into the match by their Platoon mates. I would prefer to see matches where there is no greater than a 3 level difference between the top level tank and the bottom level tank.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:58 AM
Frantz70

The VK 3601 is the poor mans Panther, and I agree with Easters comments about the matching system.

Still it is a fun game.
Old 05-01-2011, 11:01 AM
Eggman1965
My Feedback: (3)

Stupid addictive computer game!!!!!

Old 05-01-2011, 11:06 AM
MassiveOverkill

ORIGINAL: Eggman1965

Stupid addictive computer game!!!!!

Yep, stupid game got me into RC tanks as well.
Old 05-01-2011, 11:48 AM
STO_118

It is not really a case of realism, it is a case of blantant favouritism. If it was realistic then the Soviets wouldn't win unless they had a huge numerical advantage. It is a case of balance, as in all the trees should be essentially balanced against each other so not one particular faction has an overall advantage.

You can't really defend the disappearing IS as it disappeared in front of me after going behind one bush. As in, it was visible at close range at full speed and then disappeared.

The invisible tanks is a known problem and the devs have admitted this, essentially the spotting system doesn't work as intended but is getting an update for the May patch. It is not only about tanks hiding in a bush, it's about tanks not being revealed when firing or appearing when coming into your view range.

It is a idiotic system anyway, but when it doesn't work as intended it is a lot worse. Tank in open field 500m, I can't see it. Oh wait it is now in the open 300m away I can see it! The Soviet TD's have higher camo values than the German TD's as well.

The major issue is the small maps and small ranges with some tanks. The scouts get spotted long before they see anything and are turned into sieves. A quick fix would be to max the view range for all tanks, but keep the camouflage system.

As for the Tiger, its not a very good sniper either as the 88 doesn't do very much damage. My KV3 and IS are just as good with a gun that does better damage and since you might not get a chance for a second hit more damage will win. I'm not saying it is a bad tank and I enjoy my Tiger but looking at it from an unbiased view it simply isn't very good compared with the other factions at the same tier. Still with the KV-3 moved up a tier the heavy tank trees will be slightly better.

If you think the games only problem is the balance (which you are absolutely right about) you are glossing over a number of problems including perma-tracking, no damage track hits, random failed penetrations, straight through hits (with marks of the hit on the tank) and no damage to name a few. Last match I hit a panzer 4 in the lower hull and tracked them for no damage. It was a 122mm shell worth 1000 credits!

Still if you get a well balanced match without the random spotting bugs it can make for a pretty awesome game. I complain a lot about the game because it is frustrating and like many recent games released in the last few years has huge potential, but for the most part these games fail miserably because the potential is never realised. The upcoming patch and the tree rebalancing looks to be huge improvements for everyone.
Old 05-01-2011, 05:50 PM
Wozwasnt

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I had the King Tiger in Beta and it sucked compared to other tanks in its tier, which is why I've gone Russian.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:51 PM
hiramekisama

This game is not balance.  Clearly, the Russian tank tree is much better armed and armored.  The developers insist that they are looking into it like it's really damn hard to see.

I have a stock Tiger at the moment and it sucks.  Hopefully after upgrades, it wouldn't be so disappointing.