Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Jochen Maier

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 05:38 PM
Tanque

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Jochen Maier

I'm afraid not many people here will know this name but nonetheless I wanted to post this.

I have just learned today that my friend of many years, Jochen Maier, has passed away. He died last week, Wednesday May 11. Age 73.

Who was he? Jochen started a company in Germany - Jochen Maier Modellbaubedarf. His main product was his version of a Panther
A he produced in 1:10 scale which a number of you have seen me run on many occasions and write profusely about over the years.
I bought my first one from him in 1976 and later we became good friends. His models weren't perfect in their scale interpretation
certainly by today's standards but what set his work apart was the perfection of execution of what he built. It is why in my mind they
became the standard by which I evaluated every other maker's offerings ever since. As far as I know he baegan producing his Panther in the early 1970s and stopped regular production in the very late 1980s although he still made parts up until he sold the business to his partner Jurgen Stehr in the late 1990s or early 2000s ( I can't recall when at the moment). Even though he had not been active in the business for some years I tried to call him when I could as he was a joy to speak with. I knew he was in declining health for some while it will be difficult to realize he is gone. I had the good fortune to see him both here in California and spend a wonderful week with he and his wife in the 90s.

If I did not say to you just how influential the man and his work was to me and my hobby I would not be truthful.
As a person he was great, great sense of humor always a good outlook. He knew how to live life.

My sympathies go to his wife Irene and family.

I am very saddened by this news.

Jerry Carducci
Old 05-16-2011, 05:56 PM
Baron Fel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Jochen Maier

Its huts when you lose famliy, Its really hurts to lose a good friend. Sorry to hear about your loss.

Tony
Old 05-16-2011, 06:15 PM
torpedochief

Sorry for the loss Jerry.

Sounds like a one in a million guy, model builder and friend.

Don
Old 05-16-2011, 07:13 PM
yellowshaker
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm very sorry to hear of the loss of your friend. May he rest in peace.
Old 01-30-2017, 12:46 AM
tiopesao

Hello,

When I was a little child (I think I was only a todler) I have got a Rico tank who shooted darts, made noise, had lights and run (It was late 60's). Since I think we are no more than the kids we once were I have always be seduced by model tanks. Many time later (in 2005) I bought a FoV King tiger 1/16 so as to convert it in a RC model. Unfortunately I did not find the courage or maybe the abillty to make it. I take regularly a look to the internet universe of RC metal tanks and I discovered time ago the firm of Jürgen Stehr. Last weekend I found the those treasures were started by Jochen Maier and I found that he was the brain and heart of something that I think is the 'heaven' of model tanks. Finally I found this site and the notice/news he passed away six years ago. To all who knew him and enjoy his idea of model tanks strong greetings!

Juan Carlos.