Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Viva armatura Italiano

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 10:45 PM
Rex Ross

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Viva armatura Italiano

Or, as they say in my neighborhood..........
Long live Italian armor!

They also say.........
Trattore Fiat-SPA TM 40, con un rimorchio serbatoio di recupero Strafurini caricato con una vettura ricognizione Autoblinda.

According to Google translate, that means .....
Tractor Fiat SPA TM 40, with a Strafurini tank recovery trailer loaded with an armored reconnaissance vehicle. Or something close to that.......

In my never ending quest to be the only kid on the block to have one.....(and I hope in the entire world), I came up with the idea to scratchbuild a WWII Italian artillery tractor in 1/16th scale that was R/C equipped, pulling a scratchbuilt Italian tank recovery trailer, and loaded with a scratchbuilt R/C Italian Autoblinda. I think this time it will be unlikely that anyone will be able to say "Hey dude, I have that exact combination of scratchbuilt stuff on my shelf too!". If you are scratching your head trying to figure out why I built this kinda obscure stuff, the answer is simple.......

I'm getting old but I never grew up. I'm a seven year old kid trapped in a 72 year old body. It's never too late to have a happy childhood, My house is not a home, it's a hobby shop. Oh.....can I mention that this hobby is great fun? I think all of you know that from your own experience.

When I started to search for reference material I didn't expect to find much info. I found the usual L,W.H., and wheelbase dimensions, and things weren't looking promising....... until I found two websites that were doing restorations of the real thing, and an Allied-Axis publication (#23) where many photos of this vehicle were posted. Unbelievable! I was in heaven. I was able to make scale drawings and it looked like it was possible to make this buggy R/C. It would be a tight fit, but possible for me to do with what R/C gear I had available. I would have to replace the 7.2V battery with a little 9V job, but I could live with that. That was the easy part. The lower chassis, mechanical parts and R/C stuff worked out well enough to be satisfactory to me, and stay within scale dimensions. I may have cheated a teeny tiny bit, but I will never admit that. Note.... a teeny tiny bit is smaller than a 1/16 scale cubit, but slightly larger than a scale smidgen.

I'm gonna say that the lower chassis amounted to about 5% of the model. The R/C part was another 5%. The part of this model that tested my patience and mental health was the 90% that was the frustrating cosmetic body work with all of it's gosh darn tiny details and bullpuckey accessory thingys. Grrrrrrrrr !!!!!!! But sometimes even frustration can be fun...........when you get through it and you are done! The detail work was a bugger, and I'm happy the paint covered most of my sins. I had to use thick paint to accomplish that. I think I built this thing three times considering all of the corrections I had to make due to mistakes and not thinking ahead. I hate it when part #67 doesn't fit because I didn't do part #61 properly, and all of the parts in between have to be fixed up as well.

I'm sorta sure this is the last item in my Italian motor pool. I'm gonna move on to another country that is overlooked by the big corporate guys. I'm not sure which Allied or Axis nation yet.

For my next project, I am going to scratchbuild something quick and simple for a change. A 1/16th scale model of a civil war cannon ball sounds good. I think I can make it reasonably operational and fully functional.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl28621.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	1624282   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av70170.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	1624283   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej12064.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	147.1 KB
ID:	1624284   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zt53543.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	1624285   Click image for larger version

Name:	Se45973.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	1624286   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yo91246.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	1624287   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jl94181.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	1624288   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yx81047.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	1624289  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki79711.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	1624290   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nz18351.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	1624291   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch42689.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	1624292   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xi40362.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	1624293  
Old 06-17-2011, 12:27 AM
borealis

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Default RE: Viva armatura Italiano

Where is the smiley with the dropped jaw?

Unbelievable, I know just a couple of men capable of doing such scratchbuilds here in Italy (like Sven or Scooter on our "CARRIRC" forum).
Old 06-17-2011, 01:20 AM
herrmill

Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts

Wow! Absolutely stunning work, Mr. Ross!

I wouldn't be surprised if you used "rich Corinthian leather" on those seats! [8D]
Old 06-17-2011, 02:07 AM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

No traces of any scratch-building here, looks like it came from a boxed kit!!!!!!

Very neat and clean work ... nice to see more people who like the 'one-of-a-kind' builds. How does it run?

- Jeff
Old 06-17-2011, 04:02 AM
Pah co chu puk

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

Wow Rex, that's amazing.

I can send you specs on Civil War cannon balls if you like, I play with those too!

1/4 scale 1830's mtn. howetzer. Fully functionable.

Name:	Ca80309.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	141.8 KB
ID:	1624342  
Old 06-17-2011, 06:55 AM
Rex Ross

[quote]ORIGINAL: Panther F

No traces of any scratch-building here, looks like it came from a boxed kit!!!!!!

Very neat and clean work ... nice to see more people who like the 'one-of-a-kind' builds. How does it run?

- Jeff

~~~~~~~

It runs ok on a flat surface, but it would never make it up the Italian Alps. The motor I used was small (due to space limitations) and doesn't have a lot of power. It does what I wanted it to do, but I will drive it around a crushed cigarette butt rather than try to drive over it...............
Old 06-17-2011, 07:02 AM
CountChocula

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Freaking awesome Rex!

I often wondered what that would look like in 1/16th and now I know! You could also have it pull your Semovente as well I suppose!

I've been doing some research and drawing up some crude plans for a 1/16th Semovente da 47/32 currently. I like your statement about "move on to another country that is overlooked by the big corporate guys". My sentiments exactly!

Look foward to your next project.

Dave
Old 06-17-2011, 07:05 AM
Rex Ross

[quote]ORIGINAL: Pah co chu puk

Wow Rex, that's amazing.

I can send you specs on Civil War cannon balls if you like, I play with those too!

1/4 scale 1830's mtn. howetzer. Fully functionable.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dang! A howitzer? I like the way you think. I've had thoughts about stuff like that. I have always wanted a .22 cal Gatling gun.
Old 06-17-2011, 07:28 AM
Rex Ross

ORIGINAL: borealis

Where is the smiley with the dropped jaw?

Unbelievable, I know just a couple of men capable of doing such scratchbuilds here in Italy (like Sven or Scooter on our ''CARRIRC'' forum).
~~~~~~~~~

Many modelers are capable of building models like this...........and they probably are capable of painting the tire rims the same color as the body!!!!! I am sooooooo embarrassed about that goof...........I used Africa Mustard from a Modelmaster rattle can on the body, but tried to mix up a paint match using Tamiya acrylic for the rims and some detail items. Everything looked good to my aging eyes under the flourescent lighting over my work area, but when I took it outside into sunlight for photos, I was horrified at how bad my paint match was. My jaw did drop, but I wasn't smiling.

............still learning, after all these years..........

Old 06-17-2011, 08:06 AM
Buckeye36
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Awsome work, truely impressive!
Old 06-17-2011, 09:28 AM
sassgrunt
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey! I have that exact Allied - Axis #23 on my shelf, too! (Just thought I'd raise your pulse a couple of notches).

Seriously, that is some of the best scratchbuilding I have ever been privileged to witness - and, that's comparing it with some of your OTHER projects! Always a treat. -Mike
Old 06-17-2011, 11:16 AM
Rex Ross

ORIGINAL: sassgrunt

Hey! I have that exact Allied - Axis #23 on my shelf, too! (Just thought I'd raise your pulse a couple of notches).

Seriously, that is some of the best scratchbuilding I have ever been privileged to witness - and, that's comparing it with some of your OTHER projects! Always a treat. -Mike
~~~~~~~~

Mike...........
I have to admit that I am really proud of this one..........I have an ego that is as big as all outdoors..........or at least is as big as my butt because all I do is sit around and build stuff while I watch war movies. As usual, this model turned out to be more detail intensive than I originally figured. I have been inspired by a lot of the projects that other tankers are doing. And I thank all of you for adding to the fun of building with your acceptance of my efforts. This forum and the Kellys Heroes tank club have put the frosting on my hobby cake. (Or the Gin in my tonic?)
Old 06-17-2011, 09:52 PM
204sailor

Rex, YouSHOULD be proud of your skills.That baby looks like it just came off a production line, just needs a small sticker that says"Made in America,
by an American". I`m also one of those seven year old kids trapped in an old man`s body,but I think I would get old if I couldn`t build or play with R.C. stuff.
Anyway, Great work on that tractor,like all your other scratch builds I`ve admired.

Charlie
Old 06-17-2011, 10:05 PM
yellowshaker

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As usual, it is another amazing piece! You have every reason to be proud! Beautiful!
Old 06-17-2011, 11:06 PM
Panther F

We're ALL 7 year old kids trapped in old men's bodies ... just some are more talented at it. It would be great to see some video of it if possible.

No pressure of course.

- Jeff
Old 06-18-2011, 06:47 AM
Rex Ross

ORIGINAL: herrmill

Wow! Absolutely stunning work, Mr. Ross!

I wouldn't be surprised if you used ''rich Corinthian leather'' on those seats! [8D]
~~~~~~~~

Instead of Corinthian leather, I used Model Master "Leather" enamel paint. I gotta figure out how to make seats look used and worn. Mine look like they never saw a pair of cheeks or filtered a fart.
Old 06-18-2011, 01:16 PM
Rex Ross

ORIGINAL: Panther F

We're ALL 7 year old kids trapped in old men's bodies ... just some are more talented at it. It would be great to see some video of it if possible.

No pressure of course.

- Jeff
~~~~~~~~~~

One of these days I'm going to investigate that video stuff and see if I can do something with it that would be worth watching. I keep saying that, but I never get around to it. Maybe this year.........

Old 06-18-2011, 02:16 PM
Panther F

ORIGINAL: Rex Ross

One of these days I'm going to investigate that video stuff and see if I can do something with it that would be worth watching. I keep saying that, but I never get around to it. Maybe this year.........

I wouldn't sweat the video, some people love to do it others don't. I have everything to make them (camera, youtube account) and have a few non-model videos but I too lack the interest or drive or whatever it is.

Matter of fact this morning I just messed around with another camera I ran across, but the sound doesn't work. Bummer.

I get this current project done and I'll make my first R/C video of it. Should be fun.

- Jeff
Old 06-19-2011, 08:19 AM
Rex Ross

I want to add something in this posting that worked out well for me. It's about the canvas cover on the TM 40. I tried something new (for me), and I am sure others have discovered this method for making a "rag top". Just passing it on........

I had an "army surplus" tee shirt that was the perfect color for making my tractor top. It was too soft and floppy to work well.

I mixed a 50/50 solution of water and Elmers white glue. I saturated a piece of tee shirt I cut out with the glue solution, squeezed out the excess and flattened it out. Then I pulled it over the brass form that I made to support the top and let it dry overnight. The glue dried clear and stiffened up the fabric perfectly, kinda between thick paper and thin cardboard. Then I trimmed it with scissors and no paint it was done. Before, I used aluminum foil or an old handkerchief that had to be painted. This turned out better.

Name:	Pn37386.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	1625110   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr55628.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	1625111   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr40923.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	1625112  
Old 06-19-2011, 09:57 AM
sassgrunt

That's a good tip, Rex. For years I've heard about people using tissue paper with the white glue & water to simulate canvas, but never heard of using well-worn t-shirt material. Makes sense, as it would be easier to manipulate without tearing.

And I hate to admit it, but the first time I tried using tissue paper, I didn't know they were talking about the stuff you use inside boxes of Christmas presents - I thought they meant toilet tissue! Ah well; live & learn.

-Mike