Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

M51 Isherman

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 03:39 PM
mcovalsk

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default M51 Isherman

My best information is that roughly there was 3 batch of M51 Sherman, some authors remark that could be a pre one so would be 4.

It looks like that in the 3rd batch, there wasn't enough M4A1 hull and some welded M4 hulls were added in the assembly line. Basically the tank was exactly as the last batch of the cast hull, there are several pictures showing this, I have two that got my attention several years ago, probably Jerusalem around 1970-73, two M51 one welded the other cast but exactly the same.

I’m working since some time on this project and finally I got two Tamiya M51.
I’m attaching pictures of the Nick M4A1 hull which I began to modify and the regular welded one with already cut engine cover, I’m scratching them. The welded will be 3rd batch and the cast 1st or 2nd. So the exhaust will be in different position, besides other differences.

This is an expensive and ambitious project, I have been collected parts, and information and already have the paint mixed ( my version of the Sinai grey, which is not grey neither, blue or sand or yellow….well it’s Sinai Grey LOL)

The Nick hull is fine but you will have to get a turret ring roller from the Tamiya Sherman M4 as the post are in different position. My concern is about to cut the resin.

More pictures when I have something interesting to show.
Old 01-24-2012, 05:42 PM
pattoncommander

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: M51 Isherman

Hi Mario,

Getting a good start. Lots of work, regardless of how you make it. Nice thing is that no two M-50 or 51s were exactly alike. Many were made from A4 chassis, but most 51s on the A1 with HVSS and T-23 turret. To find an IDF tank that was mix of three different Shermans was nothing new with stowage boxes a mix of sizes. Are you making yours to represent a particular Sherman? After reading Gannons fine book, I figured the only way was to select a tank and build to represent a particular vehicle.

Right now, I'm working on a Magach M-48A5.
Bill

Old 01-24-2012, 08:07 PM
mcovalsk

Hi Bill
I was looking your "new" pershing. Will you finally do the test one with VSS suspension looks like an interesting piece. I still have to make the Super Pershing and the M45, I think will be done with HL, my wallet went to other galaxy with the Shermans.... LOL LOL
That's right I have the welded in an amazing picture I showed you by private email, still I don't know how will be the cast one, but are some many that will be easy to make a choice. My main concern was the M51 with T23, HVSS and welded but I have a terrific picture so I have at least one to support mine LOL.
Nick did a amazing work with the M1 hull, I don't know if the front is perfect, comparing with a 1/35 kit like the Tamiya but believe me I love it, it has the sould of the thing and is one of the firts he did. I have seen some recently works of him and are very good really.
The most important about the work of Nick is that him based the hull in a Tamiya so you will not have problems placing in the chassis.
The texture of the surface is more of what expected, very good work, but I think that’s not new for people here.
Old 01-25-2012, 05:25 AM
pattoncommander

Mario, I was looking at the earlier T-25 with the HVVS, but finances got in the way. It was bad enough for the E1, replacing the missing parts; as a loader's hatch would have cost me $25 + shipping, the muzzle brake, nearly the same, but I got a cal 50 MG on Ebay for about $8 and James said he was sending me a battery cover. Tamiya parts are way too expensive, and to spend that amount of money for a couple small parts as opposed to bulding a tank with spares I had on hand, there wasn't much choice. With my daughter in law out of work for 4 years and my son laid off last week, finances are tight. I got the damaged Pershing on Ebay for $40 for parts, but when I got it running, it was a better deal. The Magach RC work will have to wait, but I have a good static IDF display.

Good luck on the M-51. keep us posted.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:07 AM
edoubleaz
My Feedback: (1)

Received 65 Likes on 43 Posts

M51 users of the world unite!!!!

http://www.desertarmor.com/DAK_PROJE...RMAN_M-51.html
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ol31646.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	1718759  
Old 01-25-2012, 08:40 AM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Well now I guess I need to build me one of these, especially after seeing this [link=http://www.rctankregiment.com/rctankforum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2555]M50[/link] and that almost everyone else has one too.

Don't care what it's going to be, just want an Israeli Sherman.

~ Jeff
Old 01-25-2012, 02:52 PM
pattoncommander

Jeff, that's an M-51...look at the gun...length & muzzle brake. All the hard work is done with Tammy's turret, which is pretty good. Use a Mato upper hull (or Nick's) and Tammy lower, then rebuild the engine deck & make a travel lock. Toughest job is that turret.
Old 01-25-2012, 03:01 PM
Panther F

Bill, read it again.

I don't need to be corrected just making a comment on what I want to build. If he wants to call it an M50, then it's a M50.

Mr. Know-It-All!

~ Jeff
Old 01-25-2012, 05:15 PM
pattoncommander

Jeff, maybe YOU should read the post again...two places on the post both read M-51. NOT M-50. Not a know it all, but I know what I read, and doubleaz is correct...you are wrong.[:-]
Old 01-25-2012, 06:03 PM
Panther F

ORIGINAL: pattoncommander

Jeff, maybe YOU should read the post again...two places on the post both read M-51. NOT M-50. Not a know it all, but I know what I read, and doubleaz is correct...you are wrong.[:-]
Dude you are too funny! I provided a link in my reply (#6) about an M50 build thread ... not even commenting on the M51 build at the beginning of this thread. Hover over the blue M50 and you will find the thread link I am talking about ... an M50.

Oh gosh! I'm letting him beat me down to his level now. I will not match wits with an un-armed man. LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You're either too old or too blind (or both) to see and all you want to do is throw around the word "wrong", LOL!!!!!!!!!!!

LATER!!!!

~ Jeff
Old 01-25-2012, 06:33 PM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Did you notice that wrong spelled backwards is gnorw.
Old 01-26-2012, 05:57 AM
mcovalsk

Well after all useless post about if told M50 or M51 I liked to contribute with something positive, more pictures.
I have made 2 cover engines the one in the picture belongs to the 1st M51 batch probably from the 6 days war or before. Also a correction the Nick hull needed ( blue arrow) and in the circle the wrong place for all the parts, lights guards...etc which will have to be filled and replacing.
Note that the cover still need some details like other fill cap...etc.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:08 AM
edoubleaz
My Feedback: (1)

Received 65 Likes on 43 Posts

I like your take on the engine deck.... much simpler than my route...
Old 01-26-2012, 11:32 AM
Panther F

Seeing yours at this stage brings back memories of working on my cast hull. The sanding, the filling ... the sanding, the altering and modifying. THE FUN!!!

Ain't it fun?!! You're making great progress, thanks for the updates!

~ Jeff
Old 01-26-2012, 12:25 PM
AFV432

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

jeff maybe you should have linked to this one instead www.rctankregiment.com/rctankforum/viewtopic.php

That is a great job on your build mcovalsk cant wait to see loads more on it

Rob

Old 01-26-2012, 12:49 PM
Panther F

Yeah, I love them both! Maybe it's just too tricky of a way to show off a link for some folks. I can't imagine the work involved on these!

~ Jeff
Old 01-26-2012, 12:55 PM
AFV432

my apologies for the blatant link but i couldnt figure what you did lol

plus we also link to here from there so i guessed no harm done if there is i'll remove it

Old 01-26-2012, 01:46 PM
Panther F

Yeah, isn't that somethin'. Maybe I should have done it this way ...

[link=http://www.rctankregiment.com/rctankforum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2555]CLICK HERE FOR M50 LINK[/link]

Whatcha think?

~ Jeff
Old 01-26-2012, 02:07 PM
AFV432

is all i gotta say lmao
Old 01-26-2012, 03:17 PM
mcovalsk

edoubleaz , you did a terrific work, in fact I was inspired from your.
Mine is less ambitious, just to build two ones as the picture I have from Jerusalem in the Thomas Gannon’s book.
Obviously will not be so glorious, as I will use some afterparts ( why to work if them are available) and the Nick's hull which is good enough but a resin copy instead to modify the plastic one as Matt Kirk did for the 191 issue of TMMI, the best M51 I saw, flawless.

I’m researching ( and saving money for this) since the Tamiya was offered so I know all the outstanding models around, is not necessary to show and reshow links, thanks anyway, all you did a terrific work, I saw the video at youtube…etc, terrific and talented modelers, I know because as editor I’m in touch with people that have 1000 times my skill and I can live with that.
So guys, what I want to say is that I know that mine will not be the best neither the first, just wanted to show something simple enough could be reproduced for somebody not so talented like many here, which is basically the spirit of the forum in first place.

I have built more than 1000 kits during the last 30 years and modeling for 52 now, and if each time I see a post showing something interesting I will show what I did, most of the times better, and all the posts will be plenty of useless comments and jokes then all this lacks of sense. Then you will ask why people don’t come here, just think about a newcomer that want to show his last model, and receive all the emails to read just….. no way will be intimidate.

Anyway as I see there are a lot of M51 around, I will keep mine... for myself LOL, no more updates.
Good luck people!!!!
Old 01-26-2012, 07:14 PM
YHR

I think you are missing the spirit on the forum. The idea is to have fun. There are many fine modelers on here. Sorry you are disappointed with the responses. We typically show links to other posts. The idea is to show and learn from others, not to put anyones work down. I think you lost something in the translation I am not sure what offended you. I guess you don't appreciate the bantering. Good luck, and thanks for the pictures.
Old 01-26-2012, 07:55 PM
mcovalsk

ORIGINAL: YHR

I think you are missing the spirit on the forum. The idea is to have fun. There are many fine modelers on here. Sorry you are disappointed with the responses. We typically show links to other posts. The idea is to show and learn from others, not to put anyones work down. I think you lost something in the translation I am not sure what offended you. I guess you don't appreciate the bantering. Good luck, and thanks for the pictures.
Did I say I was offended, not at all, just doesn't make sense to spend time sharing with this matter and explained why. I'm around forums since 18 years now, my first post was with a 9600 moden and since many years ago never come angry or offended for replies on my post, but I'm always frank telling what I think, quite simple like that. If you liked/understood my post, fine. if not then it isn't my problem LOL.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:49 PM
YHR

Same for me. Been on the internet since compuserve

This forum has a long history of helping newcomers with problems and sharing information with others

Again Good luck, and have fun.

Cheers