Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

1/10 soviet steel

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 10:53 AM
lposter

Received 151 Likes on 87 Posts

Got my mudguards fixed and mounted. Trying to bend that 5 mm lip along the length of them nearly killed me. Did it in the end with a vice grips and just slowly worked along both of them.

Then beat them smooth with a rubber mallet along a steel edge. Two brackets hold them on underneath. I would have started on the 100 or so 1.3 mm holes for the triangle brackets if my drill battery hadnt died. Tapping all of them to 1.6 mm should be a world of fun!

As mentioned before, the drive units had to be changed from the handy - but weak - right angle gearboxes. Now I have a robust bevel gear set up. This would have been fine if the stupid drill motors didnt have an odd imperial thread on them.

trying to buy imperial taps here is not funny (unless you buy a full set) so I had to borrow one. And tapping those gears straight is not as easy as i thought it would be. Nonetheless, they are mounted.

Getting them to line up as accurately as one must for bevel gears to function correctly was a hassle.....the centre of the drive shaft axis must be exactly teh same height above the floor as the centre of the drill motor axis and doing that without machine tools would try your patience.

I got it in the end witha lot of filing and sanding and Im quite happy. Im hoping that the hacked together bracket for the two drill motors will hold - its made of two slabs of 10 mm brass and they

were silver soldered together. But getting metal pieces of those size up to temperature with a propane torch took an hour and Im not sure if they were entirely where they should have been heat wise.

p
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	power units1.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	125.4 KB
ID:	1968704   Click image for larger version

Name:	hull1.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	1968705   Click image for larger version

Name:	hull2.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	115.6 KB
ID:	1968706  
Old 02-15-2014, 02:22 PM
tomhugill

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Wow this is a stunning build! Especially considering the tools available to you!
Old 10-26-2018, 10:05 AM
lposter

I never finished off this thread on this forum so here are some pictures of the finished build.
Old 10-26-2018, 12:13 PM
RCEnduro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hell yea that came out really nice. The turret and gun on that tank are just massive. I have to go back in the thread to see how you created some of those awesome details.
Old 10-26-2018, 01:13 PM
MAUS45

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Great looking build!!!
Old 10-26-2018, 04:54 PM
Tanque

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts

Your model is wonderful and such an intriguing subject. Now that you have all your processes worked out are you planning to make any other KV variants?
Or was one enough....?

Jerry
Old 10-26-2018, 05:29 PM
RC_BobM

Received 97 Likes on 76 Posts

That is an excellent job! What a monster. Excellent work - esp using steel.
Bob
Old 10-26-2018, 11:53 PM
lposter

Originally Posted by Tanque
Your model is wonderful and such an intriguing subject. Now that you have all your processes worked out are you planning to make any other KV variants?
Or was one enough....?

Jerry
HI Jerry

One was enough. Soviet armor is nice and all but its fairly boring. A fully tricked out Pz IV is a lot more visually interesting than acres of bare green armor and Ive had enough of green for a while.

P