Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Brushless Kyosho Blizzard SR with New Lights (Version 2)

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Brushless Kyosho Blizzard SR with New Lights (Version 2)

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 04:11 PM
rampa203

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brushless Kyosho Blizzard SR with New Lights (Version 2)

I changed the lights on my Kyosho Blizzard. The spotlight is nowmuch larger and brighter and uses the Cree XML T6 LED - advertised to have 1600 lumens, but it is at least 1000. I'm using a different pan/tilt system, which has for rotation a 260 degree servo (as opposed to the standard 90 degree) so the spotlight can turn much more than before. The spotlight is much heavier than the one I had before, so I reinforced the roof of the Blizzard with two aluminum plates sandwiching the original plastic roof. Finally I added two amber rotating beacons from Pistenking.de. I replaced all of the other LEDs and changed the mounts to chrome.

I wanted to shoot the video outside, where it would be easier to see just how incredibly bright the spotlight is. Unfortunately it was raining tonight and the grass was muddy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnRynpyyFK0

Russ
Old 02-25-2012, 01:51 AM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: Brushless Kyosho Blizzard SR with New Lights (Version 2)

HOLY CANDLEWATT POWER!!

That could actually run at night now and at speed too! I always wanted one of those Blizzards, they're very flexible as far as what can be done with them. You must be like me and like to fiddle with switches, wiring and soldering things. There's more lights on there than at Circus-Circus!

BTW ... just how wide are those tracks in inches? Look like they could traverse any surface.

Oh, and nice work!!

~ Jeff
Old 02-25-2012, 02:24 AM
rampa203

Here's some nightime outdoor footage http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_R53tyn8cE

Each track is about 3.5 inches wide, the total width of the snow cat is 12 inches. The tracked part is about 14 inches long, andthe length withthe blade it is 18 inches. The wide tracks and the light weight means that it won't sink into the snow.

ORIGINAL: Panther F

HOLY CANDLEWATT POWER!!

That could actually run at night now and at speed too! I always wanted one of those Blizzards, they're very flexible as far as what can be done with them. You must be like me and like to fiddle with switches, wiring and soldering things. There's more lights on there than at Circus-Circus!

BTW ... just how wide are those tracks in inches? Look like they could traverse any surface.

Oh, and nice work!!

~ Jeff
Old 02-25-2012, 09:49 AM
WhiteWolf McBride
My Feedback: (3)

Rampa: Where did you get the beacon-lights?

Those look pretty decent, and I know they usually 'fudge' it these days as making a mount to duplicate the old type is a pain when its that small. In full-scale the light used to sit stationary in the center, and the dish-mirror rotates around it, like a lighthouse lamp. You can see one w/o its casing in the Mad Max movies, when one of the MFP's wipes out chasing the Nightrider. Also in Italian Job (original) when a car falls from the car transporter, & it drops on the politzei car, and mashes it.

These days, even the RL ones are LED's that pulse in sequence around the perimeter of the lamp-casing interior. In this scale, they'd have to be the surface mount micros, to fit inside the beacon casing, and that combined with the circuitry to sequence them isn't usually cheap.

I did build up a circuit back in college for a back and forth flash sequencer (think of KITT's nose-lamp in 'Knight Rider') and I still have it, even have the then-expensive main chip for it to make another, may alter that buildup so that the sequence can be swtchable. It ~might~ be usable as a controller for beacon activation too. Need to alter the LED's I have too, and use super-brights. (can also be used for a 'Cylon'... *grin*)

Only a few points I'd alter on your excellent build-up:
- Have the searchlamp mounted so that its mounted vice-versa in the traverse-mount, if you can, so the lamp sits over the roof, not sticking out front (it'd partially eliminate item #2)
- Other thing is the Cab head-lights reflect off the underside of the searchlamp casing - add a 'cover/visor' to the LED's there, or flat-black the underside of the searchlamp casing to kill that reflection/glare.

Lovely beastie, makes me want to get another! (owned a Blizzard DX (Graupner PistenBully) and the Heavy Metal Monster Tank (w/ the Van body)

WhiteWolf
Old 02-25-2012, 10:15 AM
rampa203

These rotating beacons are also a series of leds, but 10 in the circle, so itlooks pretty realistic. They came from Pistenking.de (german rc snow cat site.) and they are pretty expensive - 37 euros each ($50 US each) They come in 1:8, 1:12 and 1:16 scale. They have other types of lights also, like police style light bars.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Russ

ORIGINAL: WhiteWolf McBride

Rampa: Where did you get the beacon-lights?

Those look pretty decent, and I know they usually 'fudge' it these days as making a mount to duplicate the old type is a pain when its that small. In full-scale the light used to sit stationary in the center, and the dish-mirror rotates around it, like a lighthouse lamp. You can see one w/o its casing in the Mad Max movies, when one of the MFP's wipes out chasing the Nightrider. Also in Italian Job (original) when a car falls from the car transporter, & it drops on the politzei car, and mashes it.

These days, even the RL ones are LED's that pulse in sequence around the perimeter of the lamp-casing interior. In this scale, they'd have to be the surface mount micros, to fit inside the beacon casing, and that combined with the circuitry to sequence them isn't usually cheap.

I did build up a circuit back in college for a back and forth flash sequencer (think of KITT's nose-lamp in 'Knight Rider') and I still have it, even have the then-expensive main chip for it to make another, may alter that buildup so that the sequence can be swtchable. It ~might~ be usable as a controller for beacon activation too. Need to alter the LED's I have too, and use super-brights. (can also be used for a 'Cylon'... *grin*)

Only a few points I'd alter on your excellent build-up:
- Have the searchlamp mounted so that its mounted vice-versa in the traverse-mount, if you can, so the lamp sits over the roof, not sticking out front (it'd partially eliminate item #2)
- Other thing is the Cab head-lights reflect off the underside of the searchlamp casing - add a 'cover/visor' to the LED's there, or flat-black the underside of the searchlamp casing to kill that reflection/glare.

Lovely beastie, makes me want to get another! (owned a Blizzard DX (Graupner PistenBully) and the Heavy Metal Monster Tank (w/ the Van body)

WhiteWolf
Old 02-25-2012, 01:14 PM
WhiteWolf McBride
My Feedback: (3)

Rampa:

Think I'd seen those before, and think Garden Trucking brings in similar ones (probably from same manufacturer) for the R/C truckers.

For the Blizzard owners out there, TeamBlueGroove (eBay) in Ontario makes repro bodies for the Blizzards; for the DX single-piece and interior, the two-piece EV & GP ones as well for the DF-300 models. He also makes the Heavy Metal Monster Tank Ford van body. I'm thinking of picking up a few of his 1/16 bodies (particularly the Porsche 959, Mustang & Camaro) to see how they look with my Kyosho 4x4 chassis under 'em (from the JGSDF LAV)

Also really thinking of an SR... loved the dual-gearbox versions, and that Kyopsho went back to it, AND putting cleats on every section, not every other 'link', like with the former models. And for including the snowblade, though I'd have loved having a trailing grooming blade too (which is a very rare find for the DX, I only ever got the front blade, still got front mounts though)

WhiteWolf