Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Three tankers dreams come true....European Tour 2012

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Three tankers dreams come true....European Tour 2012

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 01:36 PM
thecommander

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Three tankers dreams come true....European Tour 2012

When the Bovington Tank Musuem announced the "Tiger Day" event and the Premium Acess Pass last fall, Brett (BennyB) and I got to talking. We both really wanted to see this Beast runing. We knew others were talking about it too. But who would be REALLY SERIOUSLY interested? We spread the word around of a "tankers dream trip". Soon a few of use who met at the AAF Tank Musuem in Danville, Virginia, put our heads together and decided that was the chance of a lifetime. Steve, Brett Dennis & I were commited (or should be commited...). We have been lucky indeed to see live fire of weapons and running tanks in action care of the Gasser Family at Danville for years. I even extended a personal invitation to them to join us. It was just too close for their Tank Extravagana to even consider. It seemed like the least I could do for all the excitement and fun they have shown to us. But to go see the Tiger run first hand and meet more of our UK tank buddies....we just couldn't miss it. We already knew Martin (Ex-Pat tanker) from last years Tank Extravaganza. And he offered to meet us if ever we traveled "Across the Pond". And if the rest of his tank buddies in the UK were like him we knew we would all have a fantastic time sharing the event with them. We secured our Premium tickets last fall before the sold out, luckily. The staff at Bovington, Sue & Jannine, were so friendly and easy to deal with. Brett had time constraints but Steve (Shark27) and Dennis (DJLaPalme) and I had more time to spend abroad. We three decided to stetch our trip to a full week and take in the German Tank Mus at Munster and the Fench tank Mus. at Samur. What the hell....we are already 95% there already. I had been to Bovington in'09 on my trip to Normandy for the 65th Aniversay of D-Day but there were so many events & Veterans there I decided Samur & Munster would have to wait.

And wait three years they did. Steve, Dennis and I tried to talk Brett into coming along for the week but he has a new baby and so much going on that even this weekend trip to Bovington was pushing it. We all understood and plane tickets and reservations were made over the winter. As the date drew nearer things changed for Brett as well. He had a great oppourunity to buy his dream house in PA for his wife and newborn baby. He made the right decision and would have to skip Bovington this time. We have seen the pic of his dream workshop and all realize that his priorities are spot on. Whereas he will be sorely missed, we will bring the action to him and our fellow RCU tankers, vicariously, via this forum. I've never done or read "Twitter" but we will try to bring you the story of three "Yanks" from the Colonies traveling abroad to see a rare piece of a German war machine that the British have preserved and revived to its former glory. We three also look forward to meeting all our tank buddies in the UK and maybe a few in Germany and France if we could be so lucky. It would be great to put faces with the names and RCU handles. I would love to share some of what I call "Choir Practice" at a pub or restaurant with an International group of RC tankers. Perhaps we can have a Ad Hoc meeting ot the International RC tankers at this event.

So here it goes... we hope you enjoy it as it unfolds. Steve, Dennis and I will post pix and commentary as we can. I'm sure Martin and Gorehound and whonever elase is attending will post as well.

Please feel free to chime it with any hints, suggestions or "Must see" sights or tanks that you can think of along the way. If you have any subjects you would like somw extra detaield pix of lets us know and we will try and accomodate your requests.

Our rough itenerary is as follows:

Thursday, Friday & Saturday: Bovington (Steve & Dennis will be there on Thursday, Maritn and I arrive on Friday)
Sunday: Portsmouth UK to Cherbourg FR
Monday: Samur then up towards Normandy
Tuesday & Wed: work our way west thru Normandy hopefully via Bastogne towards Munster (Taking in whatever we can...any hints??)
Thurs & Friday: see as much as we can including Munster before flying out of Hamburg Friday evening
Saturday: Fly out of London having checked of three things on our Bucket Lists

So here it goes....

Dennis, Steve & Bob

Old 03-28-2012, 01:57 PM
TheBennyB

Default RE: Three tankers dreams come true....European Tour 2012

Wishing I was there!!  Have a safe trip fella's.

Old 03-28-2012, 02:04 PM
DaveBcool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I suggest adding Munster to your Hamberg.
Old 03-28-2012, 02:16 PM
thecommander

ORIGINAL: TheBennyB

Wishing I was there!! Have a safe trip fella's.

You will be sorely missed pal. I know you ears will be ringing all week.
Old 03-28-2012, 02:16 PM
Baron Fel

You SUX Bob! I hate you! You better bring me back something. 
Old 03-28-2012, 02:20 PM
thecommander

ORIGINAL: DaveBcool

I suggest adding Munster to your Hamberg.
Thanks Dave.... The Panzer Museum is on our "Tank Trifecta". If you can think of any other points of interest please chime in, post a pic or a link to a website. We three hope to make a presentation at our Chiopr Practice at the Tank Extravaganza for all our tanks buddies to see.
Old 03-28-2012, 02:22 PM
thecommander

ORIGINAL: Baron Fel

You SUX Bob! I hate you! You better bring me back something.
THREE of us SUX.... Dennis, Steve & I...Martin and his buddies too...but they live there so they can go anytime.
Old 03-28-2012, 02:34 PM
thecommander

UPDATE 3-28-12 6:40 PM :

Steve is flying out of Tampa as it write this via British Airways. Dennis is in Orlando (with Mickey Mouse) in the Virgin Atlantic terminal eagerly awaiting his flight. They arrive within an hour of each other at London Thursday morning while I will be patroling around in a police car or motorcyle praying for the day to pass quickly and quietly.
Old 03-28-2012, 03:03 PM
yellowshaker
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have a safe and wonderful trip guys! Send all of our best to the UK tankers out there! And umm, Bob...If it ain't too much trouble can you bring me backa  little something from the museum? I am thinking maybe something with 131 on it???
Old 03-28-2012, 03:05 PM
karel47

If you pass bastogne its only a few steps away to la gleize were dollingers king tiger had put fore the 44 ardennes museum you wouldn't miss that on your trip
Old 03-28-2012, 03:14 PM
thecommander

ORIGINAL: yellowshaker

Have a safe and wonderful trip guys! Send all of our best to the UK tankers out there! And umm, Bob...If it ain't too much trouble can you bring me backa little something from the museum? I am thinking maybe something with 131 on it???
Would that be in 1/16 scale or 1/1 scale? I'll see what I can do Joe. Dennis steve and I have been wondering where we are going to put our booty....
Old 03-28-2012, 03:19 PM
thecommander

ORIGINAL: karel47

If you pass bastogne its only a few steps away to la gleize were dollingers king tiger had put fore the 44 ardennes museum you wouldn't miss that on your trip
We are trying to hit the high points and that is one of them. Our heads are spining with all we want to see. We all have the feeling that each day wil be planned the night before depending upon where we are and travel time. We all know how the best laid plans go asunder. We three are of a similar mind set so I'm sure we will make the best of the time allowed.

Thanks so much for your suggestion karel47...will you be there too?
Old 03-28-2012, 03:32 PM
Old MSgt

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

...you've just reminded me, that in my twenty years in the military and my LOVE of WWII history, I was an IDIOT and never put in to go to England/Europe and would've had a chance to visit those tank museums!... I always went to Asia... (of course, IF I hadn't went to Okinawa I myself would probably have never 'discovered' R/C tanking!)

HAVE FUN! Lift a pint! And take a LOT OF PICS and VIDEOS!!!!!

Mike in Kentucky
Old 03-28-2012, 03:44 PM
thecommander

UPDATE 3-28-12 7:40 PM

Steve and Dennis are airborne en route to London. I hope they both get some sleep on their overnight flight. But I stongly doubt it. I know I won't either unless it is a result of pure exhaustion. I wish them a smooth and quiet fight filles with dreams of the coming week. I'll be asleep when they arrive in the UK (about 8AM local time). I hope Steve and Dennis will pick-up the tread from there and give us a timely update.
Old 03-28-2012, 03:49 PM
thecommander

ORIGINAL: Old MSgt

...you've just reminded me, that in my twenty years in the military and my LOVE of WWII history, I was an IDIOT and never put in to go to England/Europe and would've had a chance to visit those tank museums!... I always went to Asia... (of course, IF I hadn't went to Okinawa I myself would probably have never 'discovered' R/C tanking!)

HAVE FUN! Lift a pint! And take a LOT OF PICS and VIDEOS!!!!!

Mike in Kentucky
Hi Mike,
I'll make you a deal. Since you are in KY so close to Danville. We will lift a pint in your honor (I'm sure we will find a few nice pubs since we have retained Martin AKA: Ex-pat tanker, as our master tour guide) if you agree to met the three of us at the Tank Extravaganza in Danville at the end of April and share a pint with us a Choir Practice.. How is that for an offer???
Old 03-28-2012, 03:55 PM
Ex_Pat_Tanker

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

For those of you who missed the trip this time, start putting away the pennies for ~2015. I'm sure Bovington will be planning something special for their annual Tankfest to tie in with the 100th anniversary of the Tank...
Old 03-28-2012, 08:50 PM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've been to Bovington. THere is so much to take in. However I will give THE AAF it's due as well. It was much more of a museum then I thought it was. I was @ Bovington about 4 years ago and they were in th emiddle of a renovation. I image it is that much better now.

Have fun.

2015 sounds like a plan .
Old 03-28-2012, 09:01 PM
thecommander

ORIGINAL: YHR

I've been to Bovington. THere is so much to take in. However I will give THE AAF it's due as well. It was much more of a museum then I thought it was. I was @ Bovington about 4 years ago and they were in th emiddle of a renovation. I image it is that much better now.

Have fun.

2015 sounds like a plan .
I was there in '09 and it is the Smithsonian Institute of Tank Museums. The WW I trench experience was fantastic and to be able to get into so many tanks is a dream come true. Now to see the Tiger I running.....WOW
Old 03-28-2012, 11:24 PM
sollie

Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts

How about a trip to Oradour-sur-Glane ? May be way out of you're travel route, but may be worth the trip.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oradour-sur-Glane

http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/FRoradour.htm

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj24156.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	21.7 KB
ID:	1744113   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx74510.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	1744114   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb75736.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	1744115   Click image for larger version

Name:	Un33578.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	1744116  
Old 03-29-2012, 01:46 AM
herrmill

Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts

You need to visit the Imperial War Museum, London at the very least.

http://www.iwm.org.uk
Old 03-29-2012, 02:23 AM
karel47

not this time i have nightshift this week and saturday at work to trying out our new SAP system for the warehouse at belcolade , when you will be there?
Old 03-29-2012, 02:41 AM
Old MSgt

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

thecommander; You've got me thinking... I just might take ya up on that offer...

Mike in Kentucky
Old 03-29-2012, 03:52 AM
HAL_HUSKER

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey Guys,
that is good to know.
Could you also write something and make some photos...
Old 03-29-2012, 04:29 AM
dlobmwm3
My Feedback: (2)

YOU 3 AMIGOS SUCK ROYALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I could have fit in a suit case. Have fun and take MANY MANY pictures and be safe.
ORIGINAL: thecommander

When the Bovington Tank Musuem announced the ''Tiger Day'' event and the Premium Acess Pass last fall, Brett (BennyB) and I got to talking. We both really wanted to see this Beast runing. We knew others were talking about it too. But who would be REALLY SERIOUSLY interested? We spread the word around of a ''tankers dream trip''. Soon a few of use who met at the AAF Tank Musuem in Danville, Virginia, put our heads together and decided that was the chance of a lifetime. Steve, Brett Dennis & I were commited (or should be commited...). We have been lucky indeed to see live fire of weapons and running tanks in action care of the Gasser Family at Danville for years. I even extended a personal invitation to them to join us. It was just too close for their Tank Extravagana to even consider. It seemed like the least I could do for all the excitement and fun they have shown to us. But to go see the Tiger run first hand and meet more of our UK tank buddies....we just couldn't miss it. We already knew Martin (Ex-Pat tanker) from last years Tank Extravaganza. And he offered to meet us if ever we traveled ''Across the Pond''. And if the rest of his tank buddies in the UK were like him we knew we would all have a fantastic time sharing the event with them. We secured our Premium tickets last fall before the sold out, luckily. The staff at Bovington, Sue & Jannine, were so friendly and easy to deal with. Brett had time constraints but Steve (Shark27) and Dennis (DJLaPalme) and I had more time to spend abroad. We three decided to stetch our trip to a full week and take in the German Tank Mus at Munster and the Fench tank Mus. at Samur. What the hell....we are already 95% there already. I had been to Bovington in'09 on my trip to Normandy for the 65th Aniversay of D-Day but there were so many events & Veterans there I decided Samur & Munster would have to wait.

And wait three years they did. Steve, Dennis and I tried to talk Brett into coming along for the week but he has a new baby and so much going on that even this weekend trip to Bovington was pushing it. We all understood and plane tickets and reservations were made over the winter. As the date drew nearer things changed for Brett as well. He had a great oppourunity to buy his dream house in PA for his wife and newborn baby. He made the right decision and would have to skip Bovington this time. We have seen the pic of his dream workshop and all realize that his priorities are spot on. Whereas he will be sorely missed, we will bring the action to him and our fellow RCU tankers, vicariously, via this forum. I've never done or read ''Twitter'' but we will try to bring you the story of three ''Yanks'' from the Colonies traveling abroad to see a rare piece of a German war machine that the British have preserved and revived to its former glory. We three also look forward to meeting all our tank buddies in the UK and maybe a few in Germany and France if we could be so lucky. It would be great to put faces with the names and RCU handles. I would love to share some of what I call ''Choir Practice'' at a pub or restaurant with an International group of RC tankers. Perhaps we can have a Ad Hoc meeting ot the International RC tankers at this event.

So here it goes... we hope you enjoy it as it unfolds. Steve, Dennis and I will post pix and commentary as we can. I'm sure Martin and Gorehound and whonever elase is attending will post as well.

Please feel free to chime it with any hints, suggestions or ''Must see'' sights or tanks that you can think of along the way. If you have any subjects you would like somw extra detaield pix of lets us know and we will try and accomodate your requests.

Our rough itenerary is as follows:

Thursday, Friday & Saturday: Bovington (Steve & Dennis will be there on Thursday, Maritn and I arrive on Friday)
Sunday: Portsmouth UK to Cherbourg FR
Monday: Samur then up towards Normandy
Tuesday & Wed: work our way west thru Normandy hopefully via Bastogne towards Munster (Taking in whatever we can...any hints??)
Thurs & Friday: see as much as we can including Munster before flying out of Hamburg Friday evening
Saturday: Fly out of London having checked of three things on our Bucket Lists

So here it goes....

Dennis, Steve & Bob

Old 03-29-2012, 05:06 AM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: karel47

not this time i have nightshift this week and saturday at work to trying out our new SAP system for the warehouse at belcolade , when you will be there?
SAP

Supply Additional Personnel

Now there is an intuitive program. That company must have a great sales force.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.