Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Looking For Hand Tool Must Haves

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Looking For Hand Tool Must Haves

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 12:24 PM
Pah co chu puk

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts
Default RE: Looking For Hand Tool Must Haves

This place has lots of nice tools.  I have dealt with them for years.

Old 05-17-2012, 01:49 PM
rampa203

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That makes two votes for metric so far

I use a bright headlight, Bausch and Lomb visor, some cheaper visors that are (poorly) illuminated and reading glasses. Also have an Aoyue soldering station that might be as good as a Weller, but a fraction of the cost.

Russ
Old 05-17-2012, 02:17 PM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A digital camera. The unforgiving critic
Old 05-17-2012, 03:13 PM
KaP2011
My Feedback: (17)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been hearing that since I was in high school in 1976, I think it will not happen in my lifetime. We Americans like to be different.

KaP2011
Ultra Sport Brotherhood #110

ORIGINAL: rampa203

May I put in a plug for metric? I don't see the logic in spending a lot of money on SAE hobby tools when almost everything we buy comes from Chinaor occasionally Germany. Also SAE will be gone some day - 95% of the people in the worlduse metric and the rest will follow sooner or later.

Dremel, Dremel, Dremel, Dremel

I have half a dozen Dremels, corded and cordless, the drill press, router and most important, the now discontinued table saw (used on ebay.) I had a Proxxon table saw and it could hardly cut paper.

Russ
Old 05-17-2012, 05:59 PM
flyme2moon
My Feedback: (1)

how about a decent tool chest to keep everything sorted , I have a 5 drawer drawing/art file that was used to store blueprints, this sits under my table, and inside several drawers I have put kitchen silverware seperators that I picked up at the local 99 cent store. everthing now has its own home.... it can also store balsa up to 46 inches long..... the file cabinet measures approx 46wide x 35 deep
Old 05-17-2012, 10:11 PM
George Jure

Hey Guys

First off, Thanks for all the tips so far. I have some of the things already mentioned But you didn`t read my First Post clearly, I wanted to start with Allen Keys, taps & dies. I want to know what are the sizes used in the R.C hobby, Cars, Trucks, Tanks, Boats, etc. Then I will go ahead from there. Would like to buy sets if possible but don`t want to buy the standard tool set have have large sizes I will never use. I would like to focus on the Smallest to Largest in the hobby field sizes. I just don`t know the sizes and I agree, reluctantly, metric sizes as well. All I know of is 4-40, 3/16, 1/8 etc. VERY limited knowledge of hobby size tools and fasteners etc.

Keep the tips coming please.

Thanks
George
Old 05-18-2012, 01:07 AM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

ORIGINAL: George Jure

Hello,

Since I have been here I have seen the increase of scratch builders and modifiers. I would like to put together a list of hand tools that seem to be common in this hobby field, also the size is SAE . I would like to start with the Allen key, either L shaped or the T handle. I find because of my hand trouble that the T handle seems easiest to hold and use. I am also interested in Taps and Dies. I guess, not knowing, I`d start at 4-40 size OR is there smaller sizes that are used alot. Can be used anywhere in a R.C Tank, Boat, Car etc.

A List of ALL the hand tools would be apreciated and I guess where is the BEST place and price to find them, all I know is ebay, sorry.

Please keep listing as I check here often.

Thanks Inadvance for the Help.

George

BUT, you will find 99.9% of scratch builders do not use taps and dies or even Allen wrenches, but you did ask for a "list of hand tools that seem to be common in this hobby field" so that's what everyone keyed on.

Just go to the hardware store and buy what you need in the SAE ranges. Pretty simple but you will find that the T-Handle tools are EXPENSIVE!!!

I know, I used to have many accounts with Snap-On, Matco and so on.

~ Jeff
Old 05-18-2012, 03:29 PM
tapkoote

when i set up my shop, tool catalogs and books came first

machinist hand book, pricy but worth it
more reading
http://www.grizzly.com/
http://www.micromark.com/?ns_md=cpc&ns_sc=adwords&ns_cn=wk_brand&gclid=ckkj 8sf9ilacfqgjrqodgxpzmq
http://www.harborfreight.com/
http://www.eastwood.com/?srccode=ga200230&gclid=COuZtPX9iLACFUEGRQodwn8QOQ

micrometer was mentioned, another measuring device, to scale up or down( home made or store bought
I can't remember the name)
with a surface plate, however surface plates are expensive
i use a chunk of tempered glass

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zw69688.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	1763821  
Old 05-19-2012, 05:32 AM
rampa203

I bought these very cheap T-handles and they seem ok, but there is some flex in the long shaft if you twisthard. I don't use them very often, only when I need extended reach http://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-2547-T-...7434005&sr=8-1

How can scratch builders not use taps? I use them all the time just making little parts and modifications.

Russ
Old 05-19-2012, 06:26 AM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

ORIGINAL: rampa203

How can scratch builders not use taps? I use them all the time just making little parts and modifications.

Russ
Oh, you must be that .1% then. It's just that you don't see it discussed here very often.

Thanks for calling me out on it.

~ Jeff
Old 05-26-2012, 06:29 AM
Rebellion13

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

As Tapkoote said about Harbor Freight, its a shame they don't have store's in Canada. I just stopped by my local store, and picked up some mini clamps, files, various angles and some tubing benders all for around $20.00. Some of their items are not quality, but for what we use these for you can't beat the price's, and they work just fine.

Cheers,
Wade