Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

The LCM that never was........

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

The LCM that never was........

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 03:33 PM
Rex Ross

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default The LCM that never was........

An attack of garage spring cleaning fever bit me and has started me thinking of a project I stored away that never went past the cardboard mock up stage. When I rediscovered this in the rafters, a wave of nostalgia hit me about the time when I had plans to build a functional LCM and doing some amphibious beach landings with my first Tamiya Sherman.......the original one with the clutches and the sliding step switch for controlling the speed. That was a long time ago, but I still want to build one. I used scotch tape to paste the cardboard panels together and everything is coming apart due to old age. This thing looks like it spent a month abandoned on a beach somewhere.

I have no idea where it would be practical to float the dang thing, but being practical, logical and realistic is not my strong suit. If I had a swimming pool or a pond in my neighborhood, I would start building tomorrow. The Pacific ocean is out of the question, and I considered a municipal water reservoir park that's close by, but the Park Ranger up there told me that toy boats with batteries or fuels were not allowed because they could sink and pollute the water. I guess the frogs, fish and ducks use the park restrooms to pee and poop in.

I guess I could always build a static model and park my old Sherman in it, but that doesn't really get me all fired up.

I started this cardboard mockup to check for dimensions and space requirements for the tank and R/C gear, and it kinda got out of hand with details and paint. The mechanical equipment and R/C gear that is available now makes this floater even more attractive, so I am on the fence about this project once again. I have seen the great boat builds of others on this forum and would love to be able to say "me too" someday.

Ship Ahoy! Anchors Away! ....... and other inspirational Navy slogans!!!!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29468.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	1770925   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu65476.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	1770926   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty66656.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	1770927  
Old 06-10-2012, 05:51 PM
pattoncommander

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: The LCM that never was........

Looks nice Rex....build it...

Navy= Never Again Volunteer Yourself..
Old 06-10-2012, 06:10 PM
Airbrushler

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

That's just cardboard?...................man it looks great to.......nice job Rex Ross even your cardboard stuff is amazing
Old 06-10-2012, 06:30 PM
Rebellion13

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Build it and they shall come. As AB stated even your cardboard looks good.

Cheers
Wade
Old 06-10-2012, 06:40 PM
Pah co chu puk

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

I like the fact that you painted and numbered a cardboard mock-up. That's the spirit.

Build it.
Old 06-10-2012, 08:19 PM
tapkoote

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You've probably seen this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgV0a635Mcg
Old 06-11-2012, 02:20 PM
rat now
My Feedback: (4)

Man if your cardboard model looks this good, you real model is gonna be KILLER!! Build it and post a build up when you do.
Old 06-11-2012, 03:44 PM
Rex Ross

Thanks to all of youse guys for the kind comments. I appreciate your encouaging words.

I think I'm gonna give up building anything operational and just do cardboard mockups!

If I decide to build it, should I assign it #27 on the list of projects that I really want to do, or bump it up to #1 and shove everything else on to the back burner? I have 7 projects that only need paint, and the other 20 are only scale line drawings at this point, but a few of my planned projects are so old they are growing a beard. But I shall give it some serious thought, and make it R/C as well (if I do it at all).

Old 06-11-2012, 03:58 PM
rat now
My Feedback: (4)

As well as you build cardboard models ...I wouldnt bother building any thing but cardboard models...man you got some talent with trees!!!
Old 06-11-2012, 06:17 PM
pattoncommander

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK, so now we can look forward to seeing the Ratte...[X(]
Old 06-12-2012, 01:08 PM
Ten41

That is awesome.    But don't worry, you can skip the Navy sing along if you want.

My father was Army, and was in command of one of these during his time in the Pacific.  Never would have thought of that if I didn't know someone that had done it.  Granted,  I don't know how to communicate that he was in charge of the boat, and the men, but command comes to mind.

I had always wanted to do a scale model of one for him, I just haven't gotten around to it.  Need to get going on that as he is 92 this year!

Now, if you do one that is 1/16, that would be awesome!  Especially to see a tank drive out of it.

Old 06-12-2012, 01:41 PM
Rex Ross

ORIGINAL: Ten41

That is awesome. But don't worry, you can skip the Navy sing along if you want.

My father was Army, and was in command of one of these during his time in the Pacific. Never would have thought of that if I didn't know someone that had done it. Granted, I don't know how to communicate that he was in charge of the boat, and the men, but command comes to mind.

I had always wanted to do a scale model of one for him, I just haven't gotten around to it. Need to get going on that as he is 92 this year!

Now, if you do one that is 1/16, that would be awesome! Especially to see a tank drive out of it.

~~~~~~~~~~~

That's kinda funny.........Your father was in the Army and was in command of an LCM........ I was in the Navy and never set foot on a ship ........ except on Armed Forces Day when I used to go to Long Beach and volunteer for ANY KIND OF A JOB on a ship for the day.
I was usually assigned to the bottom of a gangway and told to catch any civilian that accidently tripped. I spent all of my enlistment at Naval Air Stations in California. I was a crew chief for F9F-5 Panthers and F9F-6 Cougars.

I envy your Dad. My best day was when I was one of the rowing crew during boot camp life boat training in San Diego!