Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

New transmission for Leopard A4 and Gepard

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

New transmission for Leopard A4 and Gepard

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 06:17 PM
tdipaul

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New transmission for Leopard A4 and Gepard

Hello all,

Been looking for an old Leo/Gepard chassis to use as the basis of a tracked fire-fighting vehicle. Didn't need anything with perfect upper body parts, just a usable chassis, so bought on ebay what looked like a good candidate (an old beat up Gepard). In the pics of the ad it looked good enough but when it arrived I quickly noticed that two of the black gears in the trans were missing. And to make matters worse another gear cracked apart in my hand during disassembly. A long search for original trans parts yielded nothing, don't think they were ever sold individually anyway. Hmmm. So it looked like the only way to make a runner was to convert to a DMD setup. I know DMD's are great to run but I don't need full pivot turning and the $'s for Panther G trans units and a DMD controller are out of budget.

Then while printing the Gepard manual from Tamiya USA I looked at the parts listings and found a complete new trans assembly, in stock ready to ship. Couldn't believe my eyes so called them up. The service person said, "Yes we have some, they are $90 shipped". Yes I know this a lot for a trans but still less than whats needed to go DMD so made the purchase. A few days later it arrived and now I'm happy. Everything lines up as it should.

Anyhoo just thought I'd pass this along for the tanker looking to replace a worn/broken OEM trans with a new one (for originality purposes, to use a single motor with a std esc, etc)

Note: The unit does not come with a motor, motor plate, or the "tiller" arm/assembly for steering. These parts need to be transferred. Comes with the clutches though.

http://www.tamiyausa.com/search.php?...x=20&image.y=4

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05693.jpg
Views:	1024
Size:	325.8 KB
ID:	2236054

Name:	DSC05695.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	129.0 KB
ID:	2236055

Name:	DSC05697.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	352.2 KB
ID:	2236056

Old 07-27-2012, 09:07 PM
vollenc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: New transmission for Leopard A4 and Gepard

Very nice. Thanks for sharing.
Old 09-18-2017, 09:39 AM
MadYank

Default Sadly, they're Discontinued

I have a 37-year-old Leo 1 A4 model that I'm trying to refurb, and I have the "OMG, the gears are cracking and falling apart!" syndrome, too. I called Tamiya Customer Service and they told me the gearbox is no longer available - and eBay is blowing me off for trying to register, too!
Somebody does NOT want my tank to run any more...
Old 09-18-2017, 08:06 PM
mizuinu

Originally Posted by MadYank
I have a 37-year-old Leo 1 A4 model that I'm trying to refurb, and I have the "OMG, the gears are cracking and falling apart!" syndrome, too. I called Tamiya Customer Service and they told me the gearbox is no longer available - and eBay is blowing me off for trying to register, too!
Somebody does NOT want my tank to run any more...
[DKLM] Propulsion dynamics steel gearbox for 1/16 RC tanks Pick your transmission of choice. If funds allow, will acquire for my Gepard

Getriebepaar Leopard 1 / Gepard Have this on my Leo
Old 09-23-2017, 08:39 AM
Longsheep

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mizuinu
[DKLM] Propulsion dynamics steel gearbox for 1/16 RC tanks Pick your transmission of choice. If funds allow, will acquire for my Gepard

Getriebepaar Leopard 1 / Gepard Have this on my Leo
I have one on mine and the performance is great. I have to DIY a gearbox mount though. The DKLM one only fits the older production.
Old 09-23-2017, 02:52 PM
mizuinu

Originally Posted by Longsheep
I have one on mine and the performance is great. I have to DIY a gearbox mount though. The DKLM one only fits the older production.
So you have the newer, released static model of the Leo A4/Gepard? They change the motor mounts to accommodate the current TUs made by tamiya. I think the Sherman TUs can be used on the re released models?

The one offered by AFV model comes with a mount to fit the older production and that is what I have, same with my languishing Gepard
Old 09-24-2017, 02:29 AM
sollie

Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Longsheep
care to share a few photos of the setup ( DIY mounts )