Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Buying a Tamiya tank

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 04:27 AM
lifen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a Tamiya tank

Hello everyone! I'm in the market of buying myself a brand-new Tamiya tank. Ever since I was a little kid - I'm 21 now - I wanted to have one of these tanks.
Now I'm a bit lost at which one to buy, but the budget is around 500EUR, which is around 600+dollars.
I live in Belgium, but want to buy the tank in the USA or UK since they are cheaper there.I've already contacted the tank museum for a shipping quote, but haven't yet received an answer.
My interests go out to the 1/16Pershing, Tiger 1 and the Sherman. However, I'm a TOTAL noob when it comes to building RC models.I have built a few plastic Revell kits over the years, but admittingly the small parts are hard to do for me and sometimes I mess up. So I'm wondering..What is the best tank for beginners?I'm leaning towards the Tiger 1, since I heard the Pershing is a very hard build.

What do you guys think?
Old 09-03-2012, 05:21 AM
no12skyline

Default RE: Buying a Tamiya tank

I have all three and must say that I prefer my Pershing to the other two for battling around the yard with my friends. The key words someone on here said in the past was "wiring hygiene" and rightly so. The hull is double bottomed and cramped as a result. It does take quite a bit more effort to set up to run perfect but once thats done its a rugged and reliable performer. You only need to see the relative lack of aftermarket upgrades to see how good this tank is. It has all the possible electronics options that Tamiya offers - running lights, recoil, as well as the standard sound and movement. My Sherman 105mm has no recoil while featuring lights, the M51 "Super" Sherman has no lights, the same goes for the Tiger though they both have recoil.
Old 09-03-2012, 05:24 AM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Tamiya tanks have great instructions, and each sub assembly is a kit within a kit. They follow a logical sequence of events. Biggest thing is to keep the hardware in their respective bags. I do this with small zip lock bags. First thing I do is repackage the screw bags into thse zip lock bags. The builds is pretty straight forward. I have only built a couple of Tamiya's but they presented little trouble.
Old 09-03-2012, 05:36 AM
karel47

hello am from belgium to please contact BTBits a rc tankers forum

http://forum.battletanksbelgie.be/index.php

you can have a sherman for around 429,95€ : http://www.axels-modellbau-shop.de/k...-Kit::139.html

a tiger Iat 499€ : http://www.axels-modellbau-shop.de/k...-Kit::225.html

and a pershing around 499,99€ : http://www.axels-modellbau-shop.de/k...344_5_378.html

its from axels modelshop , he asked about 8 to 12 euro shipping , very good service and within a week delivered at home

i have also an Hooben elefant new in box RCready for sale at my place for 370€ , please enjoy BTBall tankscrazy guy's our scale are 1/16 and 1/6
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq48034.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	1797883   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq51709.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	1797884   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sy63578.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	125.4 KB
ID:	1797885   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mg98885.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	1797886  
Old 09-03-2012, 05:37 AM
bowlman

Received 124 Likes on 93 Posts

The Pershing will work well with no after market parts its just harder to build .
The Tiger 1 is a good tank to start out with big and roomy .
The Sherman is not to bad just no recoil unless you get the new m51 version .

Thanks
Jimmy
Old 09-03-2012, 06:12 AM
DaveBcool

The Pershing was my first build, and a Panther was my second.
I have not built a tiger, but want to.
IMHO, the Pershing is a better overall runner for a few reasons...

The road wheels are almost bullet proof, they are screwed together with 3 screws each and bolted to the suspension
Excellent quality tracks right out of the box
Easy to install and rugged suspension
Built in gear-downs with the outdrive system which also keep dirt out of the transmission
The upper and lower hull fit together perfectly and are held together with 4 screws
It is a nicely detailed kit

I have been battling my Pershing at Danville for a year, and have had NO problems.
Yes it is tight inside, so you just need to be very neat when running the wires.

Old 09-03-2012, 07:15 AM
rivetcounter

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Afhankelijk van waar je woont in België, zal Karl worden een goed contact met hulp en advies over onderdelen of hoe, BTB ook een goede club om met leden die goed op model gebouw geïnformeerd worden naar behoren is het verzamelen, gaan sommige leden aan SMAZ in gemeente Zelzate elke donderdag avond, wat u kiest een Tamiya's u kan niet mis gaan.
Old 09-03-2012, 08:12 AM
lifen

Thanks everyone for the replies! Really helps a lot, knowing that there are so many people willing to help a newbie.
I read that there's no gun light in the Tiger I, a shame really.. However, the Tiger I is still a nice tank.
I'm still not sure what tank to take, I guess it's more of a preference thing now.

Also thanks for the link to the websites and the shop. However, I'm not sure the shop can deliver the Pershing anymore, on another page it said it's out of stock. I should mail them. I'm still waiting for an answer of the tank museum though.

Karel, also thanks for offering the Elefant tank. It's a marvellous tank, but I think I'll stick with Tamiya, it being a brand that I know.

Old 09-03-2012, 08:37 AM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

ORIGINAL: rivetcounter

Afhankelijk van waar je woont in België, zal Karl worden een goed contact met hulp en advies over onderdelen of hoe, BTB ook een goede club om met leden die goed op model gebouw geïnformeerd worden naar behoren is het verzamelen, gaan sommige leden aan SMAZ in gemeente Zelzate elke donderdag avond, wat u kiest een Tamiya's u kan niet mis gaan.

What's this? This is supposed to be an English language forum here.

~ Jeff
Old 09-03-2012, 09:26 AM
karel47

i've got the metal elefant from asiatam latey for 300 euro that's why i sold the hooben one ... to many tanks so little time

ik ben van ninove, BTB zit over gans belgie en nederland verspreid dus er zit er altijd wel eentje in de buurt van jou , je bent van harte welkom
Old 09-03-2012, 09:29 AM
Rebellion13

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Depending on where you live in Belgium, Karl will be a good contact with help and advice on parts or how, BTB also a good club with members who are well informed model building duly collecting, go to some members Smaz in municipality Zelzate every Thursday evening, you choose a Tamiya you can not go wrong.

Old 09-03-2012, 09:30 AM
karel47

ORIGINAL: lifen

Thanks everyone for the replies! Really helps a lot, knowing that there are so many people willing to help a newbie.
I read that there's no gun light in the Tiger I, a shame really.. However, the Tiger I is still a nice tank.
I'm still not sure what tank to take, I guess it's more of a preference thing now.

Also thanks for the link to the websites and the shop. However, I'm not sure the shop can deliver the Pershing anymore, on another page it said it's out of stock. I should mail them. I'm still waiting for an answer of the tank museum though.

Karel, also thanks for offering the Elefant tank. It's a marvellous tank, but I think I'll stick with Tamiya, it being a brand that I know.

who said that abuot the tiger??
I the FO has flash and sound just like the other ones ,

if you bought by mistake the static yes i could be but that's stated on the box its a static tiger from tamiya but has the metal chassis and transmisson just like the FOone
Old 09-03-2012, 10:00 AM
lifen

Thanks for the tip Karel.
The second post on this thread said:

"I have all three and must say that I prefer my Pershing to the other two for battling around the yard with my friends. The key words someone on here said in the past was "wiring hygiene" and rightly so. The hull is double bottomed and cramped as a result. It does take quite a bit more effort to set up to run perfect but once thats done its a rugged and reliable performer. You only need to see the relative lack of aftermarket upgrades to see how good this tank is. It has all the possible electronics options that Tamiya offers - running lights, recoil, as well as the standard sound and movement. My Sherman 105mm has no recoil while featuring lights, the M51 "Super" Sherman has no lights, the same goes for the Tiger though they both have recoil."

Maybe I misunderstood.
So the Tiger 1 does have everything?

Old 09-03-2012, 10:24 AM
rivetcounter

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Panther F

~ Jeff

Jeff, the forum is English speaking but at times with some of the slang used it’s difficult to understand even for an English speaking person.

Lifen, All Tamiya full option tanks come with full sounds, machine gun/main gun flash only the Sherman 105mm doesn’t have gun recoil, Pershing and Sherman have working lights, Tiger II Koti require an upgrade on the idler tensioners and the tracks do break so would benefit an up-grade to metal tracks, Tiger I is an excellent build straight out of the box though there are many aftermarket parts to convert from Early version to mid or late models

Old 09-03-2012, 11:01 AM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Jeff, the forum is English speaking but at times with some of the slang used it’s difficult to understand even for an English speaking person.
LOL
Old 09-03-2012, 11:06 AM
lifen

ORIGINAL: Panther F

~ Jeff

Lifen, All Tamiya full option tanks come with full sounds, machine gun/main gun flash only the Sherman 105mm doesn’t have gun recoil, Pershing and Sherman have working lights, Tiger II Koti require an upgrade on the idler tensioners and the tracks do break so would benefit an up-grade to metal tracks, Tiger I is an excellent build straight out of the box though there are many aftermarket parts to convert from Early version to mid or late models

Thanks! I think I'll get myself a Tiger Ithen. Seems a very cool tank, with lots of history and options.

Old 09-03-2012, 11:36 AM
Buckeye36
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Tiger 1does have a muzzle flash like all the other FO kits.
Ooops, I guess I should have refreshed the page before posting...
Old 09-03-2012, 12:07 PM
Onondaga

Good Choice! The Tiger I is a fun build and I've never had problems with mine. Enjoy the build, its amazing!!!!
Old 09-03-2012, 12:21 PM
lifen

Thanks! Now just to find a good dealer who sells at an even greater price.
Old 09-03-2012, 03:03 PM
no12skyline

The Tiger I doesn't have headlights and brakelights like the Pershing and Sherman 105mm does. It does have the gun muzzle flash and radio operator machine gun flash, all the Tamiya full option tanks have that.
Old 09-04-2012, 12:57 AM
lifen

ORIGINAL: no12skyline

The Tiger I doesn't have headlights and brakelights like the Pershing and Sherman 105mm does. It does have the gun muzzle flash and radio operator machine gun flash, all the Tamiya full option tanks have that.
Is it possible to add this to the tank?

Edit: I found a kit for a headlight where it is possible to mount a LED inside, so it is possible! I don't know exactly how yet, but I'll find out later.
The tank - Tamiya 1:16 Tiger 1 - has been ordered! It costed 508,95EUR. Fair deal I believe. Thanks for all the help!

Old 09-04-2012, 02:45 AM
Onondaga

Please share your building adventure with us through pictures and commentary on the kit as you put it together!
Old 09-04-2012, 06:57 AM
karel47

yes it is you would be very happy with am sure of that

when you hear him starting up your tiger , the sound is so clear, so real you gonna enjoy it i bet
Old 09-04-2012, 09:05 AM
texchap

One thing to check, that is the ability to turn off the headlight. The Sherman and Pershing have the ability to turn the lights on and off. When battling many prefer the lights off. And yes, the Tiger is a great tank.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:08 AM
CCC2012
Banned

congrats on yur new purchase!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.