Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Ludwig/ Heng Long king tiger E-100 build

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Ludwig/ Heng Long king tiger E-100 build

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 07:37 AM
mustclime

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Ludwig/ Heng Long king tiger E-100 build

Thanks for the imput guys....nothing came with the kit, chris only sells the flat plate that makeup the tank.....I was thinking about thick plumbing soder.....or starting with some 3mm flat stock, cutting a "U" and sanding from there......I have never cast anything.

the copper wire is a good idea, I will have to look at that....thanks
Old 11-27-2012, 09:06 PM
mustclime

There is more than one way to skin a fender....I tried 1 mm plastic, did not bend well, I would need to have many more ribs in the frame, so I used .3mm....I started by gluing the edges...

next the nose....

Its a little bumpy, but thats just one layor....here are 2 layors....

I put down the third layer with the seems where they were suppose to be...and started to use filler to clean things up....

thats it for now...much filling and sanding ahead....

Old 11-27-2012, 09:59 PM
Ronan87

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are going to have a blast with the putty, sanding, putty, sanding... rinse & repeat...
Old 11-27-2012, 10:18 PM
Airbrushler

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

a lot of nice work going on here
this is going to be one awesome looking tank, great job
Old 11-28-2012, 08:26 AM
Buckeye36
My Feedback: (3)

Nice job Scott.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:32 PM
mustclime

Spent more hours on the fenders.....I always knew they were going to be tough.....this is with 3 layers of .1 mm plastic...

very thin looking, the problem is they are suppose to be 60mm thick armor....so a fail!!!....thought about it for a while and thought I would try 1mm but pre bend it...just roll it up like a news paper...

much better.....but the front peaces with the different angles...ended up going to .8mm plastic....lots of sanding needed but I felt like adding some details ...so I added the mounting bolts and pickup points.

Took the tank to the battle day sunday and Bob had his correct size jadgtiger there, thought I would put the E100 next to it for scale....

Getting to the detail part of build.........

Old 12-03-2012, 11:30 PM
sollie

Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts

Now look at that. Great work man.

may I ask what book you have there ?
Old 12-03-2012, 11:46 PM
thecommander

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When Scot brought this beast to the NEAD event yesterday I was yet again impressed. Just like I was shen I saw Joe's Jagdpanther. I have seen the E-100 grow over the past few months since Scot lives in the town where I work. I told him I don't think people can understand just how BIG that thing is. I asked him if he wanted to take a pic of it next to my JT. I'm glad to see he did. I didn't know that even took the pix. I must have been elswhere. WOW....it makes the JT look small. I can't wait to see this in battle.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:15 AM
mustclime

ORIGINAL: sollie

Now look at that. Great work man.

may I ask what book you have there ?
Special Panzer Variants By Walter Spielberger and Hilary Doyle

It has more pics than the Panzertrcts 6-3

I am still looking for info from the British testing of the E-100.....for those that do not follow this topic( paper panzers), after the war, the Brits loaded up the E-100 onto a special carrier and brought it home, mounted the tracks and got her running for testing....I have seen one pic with the tracks on but thats it....
Old 12-07-2012, 05:33 PM
mustclime

Well, trying to put the fenders to bed...here is what I am trying to get to....

the steel looks really rough in some of the pics of the fenders, I do not think it was rust, I think it was the rolling process that was being used at the time....so I started by coating the fenders with solvent glue and then hitting them with a tooth brush to loose that styrene look...

Not good enough IMO, it looks fine as it sits but it is going to have to show through several coats of paint so after a coat of Riddle can flat black I re did the solvent and tooth brush....and added another coat of flat black...

I have to say that I am really happy with the finish....The rest of the tank is going to get something similar after some more detailing....

The hull is 60 to 70% done....the turret is about 40% done, the hatches, para scopes, vent fans and rain shield for the gun are really going to be a challange....

Old 12-07-2012, 05:44 PM
MAUS45

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

It dose look really good. I use the same process on rolled steel parts as well. The only thing I do different is take an All Bright pad and knock off the little bits of plastic that sort of ball up or push up as I work the tooth brush. You can see them better in the photos where you have used the black paint for the first coat. Not a big deal as it could pass as spalding as well. Great job on the fabrication of this giant schurzen!!!!
Old 12-07-2012, 11:01 PM
mustclime

thanks...will do..........
Old 12-12-2012, 04:13 PM
TheBennyB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Really nice looking work Scott! It's coming along nicely for sure. I'm sure once you get this beast all finished up and get a battle under your belt Hooben will release theirs. Always seems to work that
way with scratch/part-scrartch builds, someone puts alot of research and effort into a build and BOOM it gets released. I'm sure yours will be a much better specimen anyways. Cant believe a Cromwell isn't out yet, but I guess not enough people have built the Ludwig kit yet.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46658.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	1829340  
Old 12-13-2012, 08:45 AM
mustclime

After working so long on the kit, I can tell you the Hooben has some issues.....
1) its the wrong turret, krupp dropped that turret design about the same time they dropped the "Porsche designed" king tiger turret. From what i have read, the pantherturrets in kursk were deflection rounds int the driver/ radio mans heads.....the first mausturretdesign wasdoa by fall43.
2) the lower front armor plate is supose to be at the same angle as theupper aromr plate(60 degrees).....it looks like they changed it to make room for the motors/gear boxes....looks like a king tiger 50 degrees.
3) gun tube looks to short

I would still loveto see the kits produced if for no other resion than to see couple of them fighting as a unit at danville.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:30 AM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

That's some tough, hard work goin' on there and it's starting to pay off!

~ Jeff
Old 12-13-2012, 11:30 AM
Baron Fel

Talked to Hooben last night and the E100 and MAUS are DOA. And they keeped tring to get me to buy the T-55 the whole time I talked to them.

Baron
Old 12-13-2012, 12:07 PM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

That's too bad about the MAUS but... it is available in resin and I think I must have it, even as a dust queen.

~ Jeff
Old 12-13-2012, 10:00 PM
mustclime

Next post......the turret....I love Chris's work but the turret is a mess....first issue, the vent fans. Chris has the openings almost the same size as the hatches.....not sure why, nothing I see matches up with that....so I seal up the holes...there is also a comparo with the king tiger vent fans...

next, the hatches fit flush into the turret top....nothing I see of the maus turret matches this...so I rounded the edges and put an insert around the hatches to raze them up...

I have the heng long porshe turret vent fan cover and a cover from the torro all metal detail kit....they do not match...

Since I have 2 vent fans, they need to match....many of the maus pics show a diffenent vent fan but since this tan was supose to be the "tiger maus"( using as many of the king tiger parts as possible) I chose to use the king tiger vent fans.......to get the drill patern, I drilled out the HL part and then drilled some cover peaces...

Super storm Sandy pays up....went running today....found some light weight alloy cable for holding up telaphone / cable lines.....unwound it and started to try diffenent ways to bend it...

None of the maus pics show lifting loops on the turret( in the field, crews would need some way to lift the turret off the tanks).....the problem is the maus II turret was supose to weigh 35 tons...the king tiger turret was supose to weigh 13.5 tons...on the right, is a king tiger lifting loop...on the right is what I thinkthe tiger maus loop might look like...

much to do...

Old 12-14-2012, 09:19 AM
mustclime

More detail....here are my turret lifting loops....for a 35 ton turret

Not sure I like them, I thin the maus turret was supose to be lifted with the hols in the corners you see here....

here are the lifting loops, razed hatches and king tiger vent fans....

Here is something I am thinking about for the parascopes....the problem is the things have to be tall to see over the range finder houseing...

Not sure I like this ether.....

Old 12-14-2012, 11:41 AM
tomhugill

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Lifting hooks look great as does most of the top turret detail. The periscopes look abit big but thats my only niggle
Old 12-15-2012, 08:39 PM
mustclime

I am really having problems with the para scopes....the late maus 1 turrets had para scopes for the commander and loader....all of the drawings of the maus 2 turret do not have them...........The commander has to have some way to see...thats a given. Theproblem is the maus 2 turret has that range finder on top of the turret so any vision device for the commander has to be able to see over that. In reading Panzer tracts 6.3, the Germans were really worried about something like the king tiger's commanders hatch being shot off, that whyallof the maus turretshad flat hatches.

A couple things I am thinking about...

Have you ever really looked at a panther commanders station and a king tigers commanders station?..

Notice how the panther has the higher Coppola....do you know why?....the panther had a almost flat turret top, the king tiger has that slope in the front and rear of the turret so the commander had a better view....

The maus 2 turret topis flat...the view ports have to be tall to see around the turret.....how to do it is the problem...any thoughts guys?
Old 12-15-2012, 08:52 PM
mustclime

did a little photo bucket image hunting.....foud a couple e-100 pics......hope they are not copy written....

e-100 blue prints....

if you look in the lower left shot, ther is a drawing of the e-100 on rail road car....note what is taken off for transport..

e-100 front aromr plate makeup...

drawing of e-100 rear suspension....

Old 12-16-2012, 01:36 AM
tomhugill

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

No tracks, very intresting... Have you considered a 360 degree periscope instead of vision blocks?
Old 12-21-2012, 07:44 PM
mustclime

More details, spent about 3 hours working on the rain shield for the main gun....a nothing part but hard to get right...

The next project was those dam para scopes again.....went with went with a razed platform with standard guards from the king tiger, they are turnable.

here are some shots with extra details...also working on the rolled armor texture.

I also did some work on the hull deck.

I have to get going on the seams and welds next...

Old 12-21-2012, 08:08 PM
Ronan87

*insert grenade in giant exhaust hole*

:P I'm guessing they would have welded wire mesh.

Very nice build mate.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.