Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

New Tiger DVD is EXCELLENT!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

New Tiger DVD is EXCELLENT!

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 09:41 AM
Old MSgt

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Default New Tiger DVD is EXCELLENT!

A couple of weeks ago I noticed this ad in WWII History magazine (Late Fall 2012 issue) for a new Tiger DVD from RZM. The DVD was produced in 2011 and I havn't seen it advertised before.

I was skeptical about any 'new' video because in the past I've purchased videos that are suppost to show details and histories of just the 'title' tank but seems like every time it only shows a very few minutes of the tank, nothing in detail, then it goes off in a totally different direction telling about the battle of Kursk, the Bulge, D Day, etc. Have you noticed that that happens a lot on 'tank' videos on the History/Military Channels?

Anyway, the 'Special Offer' is for The Tiger Files and Third Reich 1945 together for $40 and that includes the shipping. Decided to order'em but when I looked on the RZM website there was no mention of a special offer. The Tiger Files on there is listed for $34.95 plus shipping (the magazine ad sez $24.95.) So I called the number to RZM and a nice lady explained that the special offer was just for the ad in the magazine and it was a good deal. I placed the order.

Both DVDs arrived last Tuesday and today I finally got around to watching The Tiger Files and IT IS EXCELLENT! Picture, sound, and presentation are outstanding. It's over 70 minutes long and goes in to a lot of detail about the T1! Engines, design, gun/ammo, optic sights, crew, armor, suspension, manufacturing, development, etc. Has a short history of Tiger 131 and how it was captured then restored for the museum including great shots and sounds of it at the Open Houses. A driver shows the procedure for starting, driving, and even how much he can see thru the vision blocks. Interviews with WWII tankers, British and German, that are pretty good. I could go on and on cause this is one DVD that IS worth it!

Havn't watched Third Reich yet but I'm extremely glad I ordered The Tiger Files cause it's the absolute best tank video I've ever bought. If you're interested give'em a call while the 'Special Offer' is still on.

Mike in Kentucky
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23924.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	124.2 KB
ID:	1815293   Click image for larger version

Name:	Li20985.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	129.0 KB
ID:	1815294  
Old 10-27-2012, 09:50 AM
tisaksen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Tiger DVD is EXCELLENT!

Cool im getting it!
Old 10-27-2012, 01:09 PM
sollie

Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts

can I come and watch then tisaksen :-)

Thanks for sharing the info Old.
Old 10-27-2012, 02:30 PM
Old MSgt

Yeah sollie, if ya every make it to the hollers of Kentucky, stop by and we'll check it out!

During one of the interviews of a British tank crewman I happened to be taking a long 'pull' on a cold can of beeer and when he said '...and you could tell the Firefly crews on parade because they didn't have any eye brows and they also didn't have much hair on the sides...' I almost blew libation out thru my nose!

He explained that 17 pounder had a long recoil and when it was modified to be installed inside the Sherman turret they had to shorten the recoil. Because of the short recoil, after it was fired, the breach would open to eject the cartridge case but there was still pressure and powder burning in the tube. Said there was always a big flash of fire around the inside of the turret that would singe the crew!!

I don't remember ever hearing or reading anything about that with the Firefly!

And the interview with the Firefly gunner who knock out Wittmann's Tiger is good too. We've all read and watched the interviews about it before but this is new and with moving graphs while he's explaining it is more interesting. He earned his pay that day killing three Tigers! (he didn't say anything about his eye brows on that day...)

Yeah, some of the stuff that's told we all already know but there are a lot of things that make this DVD interesting! It's well made, fun and enjoyable to watch. And I like the interviews of the old tankers. Especially the Germans. (One said the first time he saw a Tiger he had been expecting something SLEEK... but it was UGLY!)

Mike
Old 10-27-2012, 08:39 PM
sevoblast

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

Good find, mate! Gotta get me a copy also. I'm sure there will be copies of it available here shortly. LOL.

While the Tiger may have been 'ugly', it sure has a rep.
Old 10-27-2012, 11:48 PM
tisaksen

No problem sollie, I'll let you know when I get it :-)
Old 10-28-2012, 12:43 AM
Airbrushler

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

is this it

http://youtu.be/eyMirZslia8
Old 10-28-2012, 03:01 AM
Old MSgt

Yep, that's it. Mike
Old 10-28-2012, 05:29 AM
rivetcounter

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

This is nothing new I bought a copy at least 18 months ago this was produced by the Bovington tank museum, RZM have mealy released it formatted for America, the English version won’t play on US DVD players and the US version won’t play on English DVD players, though I’m glad to see that you have finally access to this film
Old 10-28-2012, 07:00 AM
tigrotto1a6

ORIGINAL: rivetcounter

This is nothing new I bought a copy at least 18 months ago this was produced by the Bovington tank museum, RZM have mealy released it formatted for America, the English version won’t play on US DVD players and the US version won’t play on English DVD players, though I’m glad to see that you have finally access to this film
I quote you, I also have this dvd and I bought it few days after it was published in the armortek forum.
Old 10-28-2012, 01:27 PM
rivetcounter

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Andrew, it’s been some time, I hope all is well have you an update on the Tiger you built
Old 10-28-2012, 02:34 PM
tigrotto1a6

ORIGINAL: rivetcounter

Andrew, it’s been some time, I hope all is well have you an update on the Tiger you built
Hi Rivet, not too much on my side, I've seen you're making a good job on the interiors of your tiger.
I have almost finished my tiger, no interiors and still need to finish the self made driver's hatches. I'm also near to add a recoil system to the tank.
I moved my works to the sdkfz7 and 88 gun (armortek) wich need tons of works, and I converted a DID kettenkrad into RC.
I'm now building a panzer III with a friend (I help him with his tank) wich is also armortek, then Iwill build a sherman tank.
I'm proceeding with some projects at the same time. What I do basically is to modify part of oneof them, then, restore the functionality for the next show, then, start with another modification. It is a way to have always a running tank, and to let the work to not becaming boring.
I've seen your project with the schwimm, waiting for your progress! I have also a scwimm kit but it is another unstarted project.
None of the above (excluding kettenkrad) is a finished work. I think I've too much work on all of them...