Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

GunnerView Prototype Teaser

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

GunnerView Prototype Teaser

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 08:00 PM
tsull

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GunnerView Prototype Teaser

Well, I finally finished the first prototype for my "GunnerView" project (just the viewing system)

And, what the heck is that?

It's pretty simple. Our hobby is based on battling our tanks remotely. That's the "remote control" part (duh).
It's my intent to change that by builidng a simple to use and inexpensive FPV (First Person View) system for RC tanking.
Finally, we will be part of the battle as we will be able to directly view the engage enemy, site the cannon and fire! We will be the commander fighting for the life of our tank and crew.

The key elements are the viewing system (see attached photos), the camera and TX, the IR Apple and the heart of the system; the GunnerView OSD and it's sensors.

Let me break it down:

Viewing System: based on a TFT 8" screen mounted to a 9 channel TX with secondary 11.7 lipo battery system - the viewing system is designed for immediate view (look down and see what is happening) and for complete video immersion by using light blocking googles along with a sound system (now-you can really hear when you throw a tread). The 5.8Ghz RX outputs two video signals along with sound (non-stereo at this time).

Camera/IR System: uses an enlarged IR apple (standard sensors and LED's) along with a camera and minature TX system. This "GunnerView Apple" provides the platform for viewing the front of the tank and terrain along with video overlay that the OSD produces.

OSD: is the heart and brains behind the GunnerView system. This device overlays data into the screen along with a gunner reticle that is tied to the barrel (gyro) to provide elevation readouts. Secondary sensor information includes complete GPS (heading, speed, etc) along with battery condition, temperature, "home" and other information. As part of the OSD data, I'm hoping to be able to program a tank and turret rotation symbol along with other advancements.

With the Video TX, the GunnerView IR Apple and the OSD system, we will be able to finally and directly particpate first hand in our battles. I believe it has the capability of completely changing RC Tanking.

But - baby steps first. The Video TX works well. It was a lot of trial and error, but no burned out screens and all systems worked as they should have (yes - thanks to everyone here - I've learned alot this past year! I even configured the LED's by using a LED calculator and the right resitors...).

I should have the first GunnerView/IR Apple ready for our next DAK battle next month. Once it works well, I'll start on the programming of the OSD system (I have the parts on order - it's a little complicated..../first I have to have the circuit boards printed and components placed and soldered).

If all goes well, I'm hoping to have a professional system ready by summer and I can have a couple of the DAK guys (and girls!) test it out in the heat of battle.

I'll keep everyone posted!
tjsull
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zw69692.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	1856033   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hb81056.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	1856034   Click image for larger version

Name:	Np18067.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	1856035  
Old 02-24-2013, 10:51 PM
sevoblast

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts
Default RE: GunnerView Prototype Teaser

Sweet!!
Old 02-25-2013, 05:23 AM
bullyhys

Awesome!!!!

Cant wait...
Old 02-25-2013, 06:36 AM
Tankhobby

Received 76 Likes on 50 Posts

Nice setup. Ihave mounted my video monitors on small palstic boxes in lieu of the radio like you have done. I'll post a picture later today.

The OSD portion sound interesting, Ionly have the camera mounted. More information on this would be great. Also do you find the radio to be heavy after a while with all theat electronics mounted on it?
Old 02-25-2013, 09:00 AM
tsull

I'll keep this post active as the GunnerView/IR Apple is completed and tested.
To answer your question, YES - it's definitely requires a neck strap. Although I used 1/4" lexen for the frame, the added weight of the secondary battery and box balanced it, but added too much to the weight. The next prototype, I'll replace the 9X TX battery with a LiPoly (and alarmed regulator) and run the 9X/TX, FPV RX and Monitor with a master plugin and see how that works and how long a 5000 mah will operate.
The OSD will be the most interesting part. Trying to learn the coding and how the sensors operate is a burden.
tsull
Old 02-25-2013, 01:46 PM
Tankhobby

Received 76 Likes on 50 Posts

Here you can see that the video monitors are on top of the black boxes that contain the receiver & wires. I use wallwarts for power, the monitors can be set on a table or flat surface, the black box can be postioned for best reception. Hard to see on the tank but there are two small flags on either side of the front fenders. That's so Ican ell when the turret if facing front.

Name:	Mk25257.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	1856233  
Old 02-25-2013, 01:50 PM
tsull

I like it!
tjs
Old 02-25-2013, 07:26 PM
Pah co chu puk

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

When you talked about it I did not think it was this close to operational. Good show!
Old 02-25-2013, 08:40 PM
tsull

Thanks!
That was great meeting you and the wife at the DAK battle!
Battle on!
Tsull
Old 03-03-2013, 07:10 PM
tsull

Well, I have finally finished prototyping the camera and video transmitter. It was little more complex than I first thought..
But, here's some pictures of the camera and VTX system.
PLEASE NOTE: the next iteration will be half as large as this system. I'm waiting on parts (slow boat from China).
With the new size, I will be able to mount it on the the IR Apple by using a collar system (not the existing picture! -that was just for testing purposes).
With our next battle at DAK at the end of the month, I should be operational for actually battling the tank using the GunnerView system. The gun reticle will take several more months to develop. It has to have some custom programming on an OSD and a gyro mounted on the Tank Cannon (interior turret) for it to work correctly.
Right now, I'll just place an overlay on the TFT screen for a representation. The actual gunner reticle will be able to move in percentage degrees as you elevate or depress the cannon along with the turret.
It looks like I can build the system, including labor (I have a day job!) for under $500. That includes a 9X Transmitter with specialized software (includes momentum too!), the video monitor system, the Lipoly battery and monitoring system, the video receiver and a 9 channel radio receiver (2.4 ghz). For the tank, it would include a mounting collar system for an Impact or Tamiya Apple which would house the video transmitter and camera. The battery pack and OSD Gunner Reticle board has to reside within the tank.
Although the gear is not cheap, you only need 1 complete system (excluding battery and OSD board) and can move it from tank to tank just like your Apple.
The system should be able to handle up to 8 VR equipped tanks battling at any one time without video packet collisions.
I'll keep posting as the project develops!
It's been a lot of fun developing it to this point.
tjs
PS: I'll post pictures in the next post as I seem to be having problems with pictures....
Old 03-03-2013, 07:12 PM
Strato50

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Pics have been down for a few days, gotta upload them someplace else
Old 03-03-2013, 07:19 PM
tsull

THanks,
That's really frustrating.
tjs
Old 03-04-2013, 09:03 AM
tsull

Let's see if I can upload several photos now:
NOPE!!
NO PHOTOS
NO LUCK
WOW!
Old 03-04-2013, 12:50 PM
tsull

Some photos of the camera and VTX

Name:	Jh16003.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	1857537   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot49164.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	1857538  
Old 03-04-2013, 12:51 PM
tsull

more
(I know it's pretty stupid looking right now/lol!)

Name:	Ay74272.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	1857544   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql35338.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	1857545  
Old 03-04-2013, 12:52 PM
tsull