Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Battle Unit Sensors

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 06:08 AM
Strato50

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Battle Unit Sensors

Hey all,

Im looking for a TBU / DBU or compatible sensor unit. What the best sources, or, where can I get one at a better than TBU price?

Willing to buy someone's spare, if that's possible

In any case, who's the best retailer for TBU's?

Thanks all!
Old 02-28-2013, 06:19 AM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Battle Unit Sensors

I used to sell them, but have defaulted to using a Tamiya sensor now. Darkith still sells the kits for about $30.

The Tamiya sensor seems like a lot of money for what it is, but the fact is you really only need a couple of sensors, unless you are running a battlefield in your back yard. When it comes to compatibility between systems, nothing helps more then everyone using the same sensors. That is why I adopted the Tamiya harness for the DBC3, and Clarks pinout is the same as well. Tamiya, Clark, DBC3 can all use TBU's quite easily, and that helps to level the playing field when multiple systems are used together.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:24 AM
TheBennyB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you already have an apple you can just order the TBU bases and IR bulbs from Karen at the AAF museum.

http://shop.aaftankmuseum.com/Produc...ctCode=7255029

http://shop.aaftankmuseum.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=7255030
Old 02-28-2013, 06:41 AM
Strato50

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yea, I'll probably end up going with the DBU in kit or assembled. The TBU is toooo much... It makes sense if I had 3-4 TBU-compatible tanks but, at least not yet.. eventually

Im still deciding :P
Old 02-28-2013, 07:08 AM
ausf

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The difference between the TBU and making one from Darkith is pretty straight forward.

The TBU uses baffles, an infrared filter, a high quality chromed pyramid and one quality sensor under a focusing lens.

The Darkith model uses 4 sensors.

Both accomplish the job, but the TBU gives you a little better angle defense when the DBU is used as is.

As opposed to the emitters, when it comes to receivers, you don't want it too sensitive. I've tested sensors that read hits from 60 feet while sealed in white PVC plumbing pipe. I'm not kidding, completely enclosed in a 1" tube. It was only when the exterior was covered with foil or paint could the direction be controlled.

The Tamiya pyramid and focusing lens cut down all the bounce so only actual shots from the side are read. This is easily accomplished with the DBU if you are careful and the DBU gives you even greater possiblilities for realism.

On my StuG, I opened up the periscopes on the cupola, chromed the insides and placed the sensors beneath four of them, facing up, perpendicular. Now only shots from the side hit as all the bounce read is eliminated. Adding a 'lens' of photographic filter takes out the rest of the noise (sunlight) and I put the indicator LEDs underneath the other four periscopes. I have a Tamiya ready system at the fraction of the cost of a TBU without having the protruding apple. Any club that wants to test it will see it take hits in direct sunlight, much further out than my TBU equipped tanks.