Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Prayers answered....

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 05:08 PM
Tanque

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Prayers answered....

Well not so much prayers as real strong "hope_fers"; as I've been hoping fer someone to make these... Wecohe once did but expensive and very thin.

One of the things that I've allowed to get in the way of the completion for many of my models, in particular the German of which I have a number,
is the lack of certain detail parts. To the point - tool clamps - those ubiquitous darn things that really make a difference in detail.

I looked around for someone willing to make them in 1/10 scale or close to it. Over a year ago Dave over at Amorpax said they'd do it for me. Since I have so many models to apply these
to I could buy many sets they were willing to do it. I will undoubtedly have extra sets which I will use to socialize the availability of these by selling to other 1/10 scale builders
who might want them. Going forward I will more actively sell the sets however I know it isn't a large market. My sets are and will be made in a nickel - silver alloy for strength
and appearance.

Jerry
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80787.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	1860061   Click image for larger version

Name:	To44675.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	1860062   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo30083.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	1860063   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kd90006.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	1860064  
Old 03-09-2013, 05:29 PM
Airbrushler

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Prayers answered....

Wow those are nice they will surely make your tanks more realistic with something as detailed as these
Old 03-09-2013, 06:10 PM
Tanque

Thanks Airbrushler,

I have to say I have limited patience with fiddly lower level detail. My dexterity capability isn't well suited to tiny detail even in 1/10 scale.
I know we all, in our way, strive to make our efforts more true to the originals with each passing year and the absence of this particular level
was just more than even I could accept. It adds many hours if not weeks to building or rebuilding one of my models.

And I'm aware that the detail 'bar' has steadily risen year by year; puts pressure on a builder...

I've come to accept the fact that I enjoy the more macro level aspects of my hobby. Casting, machining, fabrication; working out the how-tos rather than the
micro aspects.

The other thing and again I've come to accept that it is more scale - independent and is "just me ", is my materials/ methods of choice just add extra effort. The tool rack/ frame
I show in the first foto is made from copper-silver-brazed steel, I wanted to be able to solder other components to it, steel is cheap but even still I could not find .050" steel
strips that I needed so I had to cut them using a Beverley B3 shear, anneal then flatten and cut to length. The end result I as I wanted but it takes so long.

My preferences for assembling things is based on the fact that my models will suffer some vibration from their engine although this isn't terrible; fuel and exhaust streams
are tough on adhesives and lastly I'm not the most gentle or coordinated soul. My models don't have an easy life; battle damage on my models is from the battle of getting them into my
car or through the house....fragile things don't survive well here. Now adding this new level of detail forces me to be more careful as I'll really be pi$$ed if I break it..

When I'm done with all this, this is the level of detail at which I will stop; it will be as is said 'good enough for me'.

That all said the one clamp I showed was a trial bend; I think I need to make some specialty fixtures to bend these properly and consistently. Then also I need proper pins; I used
some modified steel sewing-like pins I've used for years for all manner of duties. More weeks....

Jerry
Old 03-09-2013, 10:23 PM
Rebellion13

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Jerry those look great. I think that the building and details are one of the most rewarding aspects of this hobby, yes it can get tedious and frustrating at times, but it has the "fun" factor. Post some pics of the finished product if you care to, I for one would love to see it/them.

Cheers,
Wade
Old 03-10-2013, 02:52 PM
MAUS45

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Hi Jerry,

Has Armorpax ever considered these in 1/8 scale?

Thanks,

Rudy
Old 03-10-2013, 04:44 PM
Tanque

Their focus is 1/6. I essentially 'commissioned' Armorpax to produce this set in 1/10 scale. It wasn't my initial reason but I'll sell sets going forward to other 1/10 modelers if
interest warrants it.

If you have parallel interest in 1/8 scale clamps you might consider a similar arrangement.

Jerry