Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Clutchin' n Revvin' RC Tank Videos

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Clutchin' n Revvin' RC Tank Videos

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 07:04 PM
reyemmanuel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutchin' n Revvin' RC Tank Videos

Clutchin' n Revvin' RC Tank Videos(HD videos_1080P)
Hi All,

Here lies the Clutchin' n Revvin' videos for the TK20E-Benedini combo. Left upstick is the clutch.Watch in HD 1080P and Full Bass On.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=or_gMqNSIzw

Stay tune for more.

cheers,
Rey

Old 03-16-2013, 07:34 PM
Airbrushler

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Clutchin' n Revvin' RC Tank Videos

love the sound of that engine, sounds cool
Old 03-16-2013, 07:53 PM
reyemmanuel

Thanks Airbrusher,

Indeed im a very pleased with the combo. The Benedini is so far the best value upgrade I've spent on so far. Although the TBS is set at autostart (no other sounds except for the engine), the engine can be made to rev by cancelling CH 3 input (throttle, right stick up/down) with CH4 (left upstick,) . CH 4 (left upstick) in effect acts as a "clutch" affording engine revs using TK20E's.
cheers,
Rey
Old 03-17-2013, 06:24 PM
pattoncommander

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very impressive...every Sherman should have this setup with speeds controlled by rpm sounds. . Be nice to see it rolling and "shifting" into higher gears.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:51 AM
reyemmanuel

ORIGINAL: pattoncommander

Very impressive...every Sherman should have this setup with speeds controlled by rpm sounds. . Be nice to see it rolling and "shifting" into higher gears.
Thanks pattoncommander. That's quite a plan!

Old 03-18-2013, 05:15 AM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi Rey

Great Job with the sound files. Also thanks for your comments on the Benedini. It is nice to see someone besides me demonstating how good the Benedini is

It certainly offers the most cost effective sounds to those who think sound is an important part of their tank
Old 03-18-2013, 10:43 AM
pattoncommander

That would sound great in my IDF M-51s. Only problem is finances. [&o]
Old 03-19-2013, 05:49 AM
candycab

Very cool idea there.    My new DBC + Benedini Mini I picked up from Dan is the best money I have spent in a long while 
Old 10-14-2013, 02:56 PM
reyemmanuel

Nice to know another happy rc tanker out there candycab...indeed!

Here are other clutchin n revvin videos I have managed to upload...

Hobby Engine Leo2A5 revvin...using the trainer switch of the Turnigy 9x as the "clutch'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFgKO9pqL34&feature=c4-overview&list=UUGPlSi3LD9CKkTcV-l4EEGw

and HL KT revvin and touring the NBRCTC battle field, heading towards the German base...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYAUWoz0-Kg&list=UUGPlSi3LD9CKkTcV-l4EEGw
cheerios, Rey

Last edited by reyemmanuel; 10-28-2013 at 03:04 PM.
Old 10-14-2013, 02:58 PM
reyemmanuel

Nice to know another happy rc tanker out there candycab...indeed! YHR paved the way and I simply followed. Thanks to Dan!

Here are other clutchin n revvin videos I have managed to upload...

Hobby Engine Leo2A5 revvin...using the trainer switch of the Turnigy 9x as the "clutch'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFgKO9pqL34&feature=c4-overview&list=UUGPlSi3LD9CKkTcV-l4EEGw

and HL KT revvin and touring the NBRCTC battle field, heading towards the German base...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYAUW...9CKkTcV-l4EEGw

cheerios, Rey
Old 10-14-2013, 04:00 PM
Panther G

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The systems and combination of systems is getting more and more complicated. That is one of the reasons I have not gotten too much further into the new electronics . All this left stick up right stick out the window confuses the crap out of me. thats why i can never get my Elmod running. i cant remember how to start the damed thing. cant you guys build this stuff to simply work with an on/off switch or 2?
Old 10-14-2013, 05:11 PM
strippersteel

Sounds awesome and I love the video of you cruising through the town heading towards the German base. Love it!
Old 10-15-2013, 06:33 AM
reyemmanuel

Hi Panther G, lol, it may look complicated but, really is quite simple. I used the TRN (trainer function) of the Turnigy 9X (to control the throttle) to serve as the "clutch"- by default is engaged. One must flip the TRN (sort of "releasing the clutch"), then provide gas to move the tank. The Benedini TBS mini has been programmed/taught to recognise the neutral, acceleration and movement points. The first point (nuetral) sets off the idle sound loop whilst the acceleration point provides the acceleration sound (early part of the loop), but both these points do not provide enough power to the motors. As such, with my TRN switch, I could set the throttle to acceleration point, then sort of release the clutch to rev.

Actually, you don't need the TRN switch, you may simple do away with it and just use the throttle stick. However, I do find using the TRN switch convenient especially I am using/retaining the non-self centering stick as my throttle. This TRN switch serves as a safety switch to cut off throttle. Also, this way it would be impossible to do the jack rabbit stop and go motion of RC tanks which makes a 1000 dollar model look like a cheapo toy and a great turn-off for outsiders. One must release TRN switch (engaged the clutch), slam the "gear" to reverse (throttle stick down), then disengage the clutch (TRN switch pulled towards the operator) to move backwards. No jack rabbit movements and plenty of opportunities to rev up.

I believe this is possible with other transmitter with a trainer switch serving as a safety function to control the throttle. However, only with the Benedini do I find the revs possible as the sound is not the frequency shift mode.

I don't mind an elmod though =).

Hi Strippersteel,
Thanks. Got heaps of tank vides there too, some are still not uploaded. I am that pleased with either Clark-Benedini or DBC3-Benedini that I'm looking to get another Benedini or 2 if funds allow for use with Tamiya KV1 speakers I've acquired. Mate, Benedini (either Clarked or DBC3ed) connected to Tamiya speakers is next to none, hands down.

cheers,Rey

Last edited by reyemmanuel; 10-15-2013 at 06:39 AM.
Old 10-26-2013, 04:23 AM
reyemmanuel

Hello,

I've ditched the DMD and MFU and put in the Benedini!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQJzDV_39-w
cheers,Rey

Last edited by reyemmanuel; 10-28-2013 at 03:05 PM.
Old 10-26-2013, 07:10 AM
blademangler

That would be a tough call for me. I love the Clark-Benedini combo, but you lose the Tamiya system's integration of sounds and IR battle events: The Benedini board can't tell when the tank's been hit, knocked out, or resurrected so it keeps chugging along. For IR battling, you'd probably want to use the Clark's native engine sound instead of the Benedini's. (The Tamiya board also plays lugging engine sounds when damage has been taken, something the Clark board doesn't do.)

I don't have any experience with the DBC3/RX18-Benedini system sold by Battle Armor RC, but it looks like the boards have a more complete integration of functions.

The solution: Have at least one of each!
Old 10-26-2013, 08:06 AM
wsn123

Very nice sound ! I like Benedini too.

In fact It is Panther engine sound
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQJzDV_39-w

Last edited by wsn123; 10-26-2013 at 08:09 AM.
Old 10-26-2013, 08:36 AM
reyemmanuel

Hi guys,

Thanks for the comments.
Indeed, it has been a tough call to ditch the DMD and MFU, but after some time I've decided to settle for both DBC3 and Clark for my armour and a couple of Benedinis (one for each IR MFU).
Yes blademanger, IR and sound integration was lost, but still has the LED lights from my TBU and IBU. So losing the engine sound-IR event was okay for me as the TBU and IBU LED lights would give me a hint that the tank is KO'd and I would then switch of the Benedini sound using the prop2 input (function 1/2)- (Turnigy 9x,stock software,acro mode,prog 3pos switch).

You can control the engine on and off from the 9X both for either DBC3 or Clark, plus 1 more sound.
I haven't tried El Mod, the Taipan or the IBU, but amongst those I've tried, I'm happy with DBC3/Clark-Benedini and less satisfied with Tamiya. The frequency shift mode kinda makes the model sound like " ".

It was also a deliberate decision to go for the panther sound as it has got more ummp if you know what i mean. The tiger's engine idling sound kinda annoys me as I want more bass, so ditched both Clark and Benedini tiger soundset as well-and ordering a couple more Tamiya speakers.

Last edited by reyemmanuel; 10-26-2013 at 08:39 AM.
Old 10-26-2013, 08:44 AM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by blademangler
That would be a tough call for me. I love the Clark-Benedini combo, but you lose the Tamiya system's integration of sounds and IR battle events: The Benedini board can't tell when the tank's been hit, knocked out, or resurrected so it keeps chugging along. For IR battling, you'd probably want to use the Clark's native engine sound instead of the Benedini's. (The Tamiya board also plays lugging engine sounds when damage has been taken, something the Clark board doesn't do.)

I don't have any experience with the DBC3/RX18-Benedini system sold by Battle Armor RC, but it looks like the boards have a more complete integration of functions.

The solution: Have at least one of each!
The DBC3 is a Benedini encoder so it uses more of the Benedini Addresses, and my own personal feeling is once you have committed to wanting the best sound by purchasing the Benedini, the DBC3 is the cheapest battle system on the market especially if all you are interested in is Tamiya style IR battling and don't see yourself needing the range of IR options that the Clark has.

I have not battled with a Clark/ Benedini combo, but I would of thought though the engine may still make sounds, the tank should be dead in the water when it has been destroyed.
Old 10-26-2013, 09:42 AM
blademangler

Originally Posted by reyemmanuel
...You can control the engine on and off from the 9X both for either DBC3 or Clark, plus 1 more sound.
FWIW, using the Prop 3 input, you can trigger 12 additional sounds/actions (i.e., Benedini volume control, flashing lights, switches). I think the only practical consideration is the controller; you either need 12 additional switches on your transmitter, a rotary encoder, a 3-position switch, or automatic event-driven triggering from the board, like the DBC3. I'm using the "indirect sound selection 2-key coder" (whew!) method with a 3-position switch and have 7 slots filled... That's about as many times as I'm willing to flip the toggle!

I think ElMod's battle system is the weakest in terms of the multimedia display of status. However, it's got the strongest drive-tweaking potential. Although the sound system is extremely customizable, the multiple sound sample approach for simulating acceleration often sounds synthetic (especially if the samples are derived by pitch/speed shifting a base sample). The Benedini's got them all licked in this area.

At any rate, I think it's all good: The main contenders all excel at one thing or another, and no single solution does it all (so far, that I know of). Ergo, collect 'em all!
Old 10-26-2013, 04:17 PM
reyemmanuel

Using the Clark-Benedini-Turnigy 9X (stock firmware), you can have then engine sounds (start, idle, accel, move, decel, shut) plus 2 (start, 1 other-song, command, or other effects). The plus 2 is controlled via prop2, set to Function 1/2 and tweeking the Turnigy 9x to use the Pot trim as master and AUX channels as slave to enable the 3 position switch. This can be done in the acro mode, prog mixing.

Using the DBC3-Benedini--Turnigy 9X (stock firmware), you can have all the above, plus more sounds (~ 15) and lighting/events. This is as the DBC3 serves more than just a 2.4 Ghz adapter and IR-capable MFU, but as the 12 key encoder as well.

I did not opt to get a rotary switch as add on "2 key encoder", or upgraded the 9x to Er9x ot tanker9x as I can do it using the stock Turnigy firmware.

Once I had the Benedini coupled to either DBC3 or Clark- there was no turning back, as I wanted to get the best sound there is available.
Old 10-26-2013, 05:59 PM
blademangler

Sounds very cool! I'd like to check out the DBC3/Benedini combo... but I'd also like to try the ElMod Pro (got an Eco), along with the configurator. No more Tamiyas for a while though since I've got 3 of 'em. No complaints about 'em-- they're strong, well-rounded performers. Meanwhile, I've been refining the Clark/Benedini formula with my Turnigy 9x:

The Prop 3 stuff is on the 3-position switch; I've got Prop 2 set up for the Benedini startup/shutdown with manual startup. Since I had a spare channel, I mapped the elevation servo directly through a pot and stick instead of using the built-in Clark servo controller-- I think it works a little smoother.

Using Prop 3 for special sounds gives me an alternate start up sound (the really long El Mod King Tiger sound), plus a few of the odd squalks and squeaks triggered manually for variety. I kept the Clark engine start up on a switch for IR battling.

I'll admit, it's kind of overboard with all the knobs and switches! Since I'm kind of a propeller-head, this has been a blast to work on, and I enjoyed figuring out the Benedini board. (The er9x firmware was a lot of fun too!) I'm glad to have the variety and the challenges. I look at my tanks as serving different purposes-- some are fun-to-operate backyard performers and some would be better for IR battling... but they're all fun to work on!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	a74n_102613b.jpg
Views:	837
Size:	147.3 KB
ID:	1933390  
Old 10-26-2013, 08:55 PM
reyemmanuel

Indeed mate, fun is what's the bottom line really is. And besides modelling and IR battling, sound generation/tweaking and realism (improving IR battling, tank movements, then aesthetics) is whats keeping me busy hobby-wise and keeps the enthusiasm going.
As for me settling in with the Tamiya system has its expiry date for me (as some do such as soon as the novelty wears out people fall out of the hobby). And such whilslt I'm keeping some tanks old style Tamiya compliant for club battles (DBC3 equipped), I'm moving on to Clark-based advanced gameplay and thinking of something in between the old and new to make the transition bearable.

Please feel free to post your videos of your tanks revvin' and your tweaks...=)

Last edited by reyemmanuel; 10-26-2013 at 08:58 PM.
Old 10-27-2013, 02:18 AM
blademangler

I posted this in another thread, but this is the last vid I did. It has the long ElMod start up sound, shortened, because I'm not that patient. I manually triggered the 3 other sounds during the "performance" and later added a "gag" sound in slot# 7. I shot it stationary on a cardboard block because the camera with better sound capture doesn't autofocus-- and for some reason, the sound always seems more distorted on recordings than in person.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=v6V0apFjI54 This is an earlier vid I shot before exploring the Benedini card. I later figured out that I needed to run it with a LiPo because the current draw when firing the cannon was too much for my NiMH (which causes the weird cannon jerking from the servo resetting).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=9ant6O12Qcg
Old 10-27-2013, 02:34 AM
reyemmanuel

hi mate, i actually am found of your website! http://jbwid.com/art74n3.htm

Very informative and I'm looking forward to visiting it as often as I can to check on your adventures.

cheers,
Rey
Old 10-27-2013, 06:35 AM
blademangler

Originally Posted by reyemmanuel
hi mate, i actually am found of your website! http://jbwid.com/art74n3.htm

Very informative and I'm looking forward to visiting it as often as I can to check on your adventures.

cheers,
Rey
Thanks, Rey. There's some salty language there that I wouldn't use here, and more ... but I do enjoy recording my explorations and observations. I just wish I had the time, money, & brainpower to explore stuff like CAD/CAM and Arduino programming, like others here have done. This hobby brings together a lot of really cool and interesting stuff, which is highly motivating... but a man's gotta know his limitations!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.