Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Newb here thinking of getting into IR Battling,have some questions

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Newb here thinking of getting into IR Battling,have some questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 07:50 PM
ProfitOfDoom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newb here thinking of getting into IR Battling,have some questions

In the last week or so I have become really interested in tanks,and seen some vids of the IR battles and now really want one!
Im fairly new to tanks,however I own a Vs air soft tank, and have owned a long time ago a Tamiya Sherman 1/16 "It was just plain,no sounds or turret rotation. While I really liked the sherman I was disappointed with it as little things like mulch,pepples and even grass would cause problems with the metal tracks. The Vs leopard has just a solid rubber track and seems to have no problem with that stuff,Are there better tracks made for Tamiya,I know they arnt as scale but might increase the fun?

I seen there are no clubs near me,the nearest one is in detroit,but looks you can register on their website to join for some reason,Anyone a member there? I posted her and at RCGROUPS and even put up a listing on Craigslist to see if I can find current tankers or maybe some people like me that just wants to jump in and maybe start up a small club,Only time will tell that. But keep in mind I want a tank for the sole fact that I want to have IR battles. So if you were just starting out like me what would you recommend,are these kits good to go in stock form? I was looking at the Tamiya Leopard 2a6 kit,Its pretty pricey at just over 1k,it says its a full option kit. Would you recommend this? I have nothing for a tank but I do have battery packs from my rc cars and also have a DX6I radio that I use with my planes,they said these radios were ideal,correct? So aside from the tank kit,IR battle system would there be anything else needed?

Like I said im looking for some locals and not ready to dive into this hobby a couple of grand to have one tank by myself,but was reading on that detroit site where they promote the use of tamiya tanks but similar scale and the tamiya batle system is also welcome. Can you buy these cheaper tanks like the heng long,and taigens tanks and add the tamiya battle system? I have a couple of kids and the cheaper tanks might be a option if there are no tankers in my area. I know Vs makes some battle tanks but mine has poor range and I dont like the fast that it takes AA's instead of a pack,some of those other tanks looked really nice and could get 3 or 4 tanks compared to 1 Tamiya.

Im sure I'll have some more questions,Thanks for the help
Old 03-18-2013, 12:28 AM
Strato50

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Newb here thinking of getting into IR Battling,have some questions

You've come to the right place!

Tamiya's are rock solid from what I've seen (dont OWN any but played with many!), pricey, but you get everything in one go & have a very reliable and solid platform, with plenty of spare part options.

HL / Taigen / Asiatam is where I have all of my fun. Parts are plentiful for most tanks, cheaper, and your modifying / upgrade options are plenty. Several vendors will sell 'empty' hulls, without electronics, where you can install Tamiya gear, or one of the several excellent 3rd party running gear systems such as the [link=http://darkith.dyndns.org/~darkith/html/dbc.shtml]DBC[/link], [link=http://soundandlightunit.weebly.com/]SLU[/link], [link=http://www.clark-model.com/eng/prod_rx20/index.html]Clark series[/link], all of which I've seen up close & in action and are excellent, along with the Bendinni series & a couple others which have escaped my immediate memory The 'cheap' plastic tanks are easy to modify, and still take a beating.

Depending on your budget I personally highly recommend and asiatam metal hull & 3:1 / 4:1 metal gear setup, which includes Panzer III, Tiger 1, KV series, and even the torro King Tiger which is very similar. You get the experience of putting things together while remaining relatively affordable!

Anyway welcome to a great hobby, with lots of action and very few catastrophic crashes Ask lots of questions, we have tons of knowledge!!
Old 03-18-2013, 07:02 PM
ProfitOfDoom

I was looking at the links you gave me but not knowing much about it im unsure what I would need? If I understand that clark model tk20 series controllers,They controll it all? from movement,turret rotation and elevation,sound,lights,recoil all for under $100 "I know you would need some connection wires and what not.but what else would I need?
I did a quick search for the aluminum hull kits ,seen one on ebay for $300 and seen another one on some sight for around $200 but I didnt see any upper halfs with the body and turret,What do those cost?
Im just trying to figure the price difference between the tamiya kit and putting one together. I have to say the parts and pieces look like they make a nice tank. But im just inexperienced and not sure what all I would need to make a complete rtr tank with all the features. I do have a DX6i Radio and some battery packs that I could use,but nothing else. If someone could put together a list of what I would need Id appreciate it. Also the tamiya kits have plastic hulls?
Old 03-18-2013, 08:21 PM
Ronan87

I would contact FreakyDude

http://www.rcuniverse.com/community/profile.cfm?section=profile&forum=1&memid=560988

Tell him your budget + what you need. Heck take a look at his website too!
Old 03-19-2013, 06:13 AM
Rustytrax

In my my short time in this hobby I have concluded that the Tamiya Sherman and Tiger 1 are very solid metal lowers and suspension, complete and easy to work on kits @ $5-600. The tiger is a good IR fighting choice since it is a heavy. I bought my sons Tiger used. It's probably 7 years old. We are the 3-4th owners and it's still a beast to battle.
I'd also highly recomend you get a PICO switch and wire it CH3 so all you need to do is flip it to shoot rather than slapping the stick up and messing with the trim while in a fight. Also get the centering kit for the left stick.

I have to suggest if you plan on buying a Tamiya please get it from the AAF museum. They host the biggest indoor battles around and any support we can give back helps keep the hobby going. Call Karen and she can hook you up on the radio and up grade parts also.shop.aaftankmuseum.com/

You can get some other cool non Tamiya kits. In the end the price will be very close.

Old 03-19-2013, 06:22 AM
Strato50

ORIGINAL: ProfitOfDoom

I was looking at the links you gave me but not knowing much about it im unsure what I would need? If I understand that clark model tk20 series controllers,They controll it all? from movement,turret rotation and elevation,sound,lights,recoil all for under $100 ''I know you would need some connection wires and what not.but what else would I need?
I did a quick search for the aluminum hull kits ,seen one on ebay for $300 and seen another one on some sight for around $200 but I didnt see any upper halfs with the body and turret,What do those cost?
Im just trying to figure the price difference between the tamiya kit and putting one together. I have to say the parts and pieces look like they make a nice tank. But im just inexperienced and not sure what all I would need to make a complete rtr tank with all the features. I do have a DX6i Radio and some battery packs that I could use,but nothing else. If someone could put together a list of what I would need Id appreciate it. Also the tamiya kits have plastic hulls?
I get my 'large item' pieces, like hulls and tracks and such, from [link=http://rctank.de]rctank.de[/link] and [link=http://welshdragonmodels.co.uk]welshdragonmodels.co.uk[/link], they tend to specialize in asiatam upgrades and metal hulls & nice gearboxes. This is the expensive end of non-Tamiya stuff, but I totally love how rock-solid they are. I highly recommend the new Taigen 4:1 steel gears if you're ever in the market. The German guys sell an assortment of upper and lower hulls, but always email them to see if they can find you something if they don't list it.

A little closer to home [link=http://www.matomart.com/]http://www.matomart.com/[/link] is another great retailer that are very good at finding parts they may not have listed. They also run this [link=http://stores.ebay.ca/THE-RC-DYNASTY]eBay Store[/link] with lots of fun parts, basic tanks, upgrades and spares.

Clark boards will run EVERYTHING from one board. I got the entire package including lots of wires (and even a few spares), programming remote, and sensor base with shipping for aboot $130 from [link=http://www.shop.immortalhobbies.com/]http://www.shop.immortalhobbies.com/[/link], that's Curtis' (Freakydude!) store and he's very helpful :P

Well, thats about everyone I've ever bought tank stuff from... there are lots of great vendors for us as you can see!

To give you a rough idea, I built a KV-2 from parts, metal lower hull, HL upper hull, Torro turret (specialty aftermarket stuff), asiatam metal tracks, Clark board, and a batter, Tamiya speaker (LOUD!!), and it's probably run me around $700 with shipping, etc.. And it runs just as good if not better than a Tammy, the gears are unbreakable and the tracks are much tougher / heavier.

You can set up a full Panzer 3 or Tiger 1 in asiatam style, ready for combat, for probably $500 max, Clark board & Tamiya IR sensor... but that's just my ballpark figure.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:32 PM
ProfitOfDoom

What do you think about starting with something like this? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Imex-12060-T...item484cc5ceb2 It doesnt mention about metal hull and things of that nature,are all Taigens not created equal? Also is I were to buy something like this and it comes with the airsoft canon,How do you add the tamiya battle unit? Do you have to buy a different upper hull and swap them out,or can you just fit it on with the airsoft?
Old 03-20-2013, 04:48 AM
Strato50

ORIGINAL: ProfitOfDoom

What do you think about starting with something like this? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Imex-12060-T...item484cc5ceb2 It doesnt mention about metal hull and things of that nature,are all Taigens not created equal? Also is I were to buy something like this and it comes with the airsoft canon,How do you add the tamiya battle unit? Do you have to buy a different upper hull and swap them out,or can you just fit it on with the airsoft?
That seems a bit expensive for what you get. It's all plastic, so basically a rebranded Heng Long with pot-metal transmissions and metal tracks.. essentially a tank you can get for $100, at half the shipping on eBay, with transmissions that are under $30, also on eBay (and many vendors for less).

The tracks are worth ROUGHLY $70-80. If you're willing to spend that much, go with the Taigen Tiger with metal chassis, wheels and add-ons, it's a tank I've seen up close and it looks fantastic.

Another $100 will build a decent Asiatam (which is essentially what Taigen is building anyway..) battler with a Clark board.

Most of us here completely remove the airsoft function, but no you don't have to get a new hull for battling. It's just a matter of running a few wires and installing the components like a sensor and IR emitter into the barrel or mantlet.