Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Flash unit help

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 06:26 AM
tomhugill

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Flash unit help

I have a Tamiya mfu with a broken flash circuit. To remedy this I'm looking into using and external flash circuit linked to a switch connected to a duplicated channel 4. So using a splitter I will get flash sound and recoil once more.
My question is has anyone attempted something similar and could advise me on the electronics (I'm thinking of using a flash out of a disposable camera linked to a pico switch).
Old 03-22-2013, 07:40 AM
ausf

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Flash unit help

I was thinking along the same lines, only using a fifth channel for the recoil and flash, but then the sound wouldn't be in sinc. Although it would look accurate: hit the switch to activate the flash and recoil, then swing the stick for sound would imitate the speed of sound delay vs light.

My Tiger I MFU gave up the flash ghost some time last year and although I could have them fix it free, I never remember to send it in until we're using it, then no one wants the down time. We just had three months where they weren't touched sitting on a shelf.

I bet you could jump off the TBU to trigger the flash, two of those pins activate the IR emitter.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:10 AM
Ronan87

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why not get the MFU fixed?

Got pics? Maybe a local electric repair shop can fix it, or heck Tamiya!
Old 03-22-2013, 08:17 AM
tomhugill

We dont really have electrical repair shops like that in the UK, and I think the schematic would be required anywho. I sent them back to the tamiya UK distributor who wouldnt repair them and only offered replacement units at twice the price of Jasons store.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:39 AM
Ronan87

Tamiya UK... not the first time i hear issues with them.

I don't want to derail your thread, but i learned with electronics... when ever you 'change' them, it opens all kinds of issues...

Have you thought of contacting the US or Japan branch, explain the issue, and see what can be done.

ORIGINAL: tomhugill

We dont really have electrical repair shops like that in the UK, and I think the schematic would be required anywho. I sent them back to the tamiya UK distributor who wouldnt repair them and only offered replacement units at twice the price of Jasons store.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:31 AM
tomhugill

To be honest for the cost of sending my mfu back to thé states and back I'm hoping I can rig up this strobe arrangement!

Im not trying to add anything to the mfu, this would be a completely separate circut.
Old 03-22-2013, 03:36 PM
thecommander

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: tomhugill

To be honest for the cost of sending my mfu back to thé states and back I'm hoping I can rig up this strobe arrangement!

Im not trying to add anything to the mfu, this would be a completely separate circut.
It is simple and can be triggered but the micro switch on the Tamiya recoil. Or even a momentay switch on the rear of the recoil bracket. Check with a large camera shoppe near you for a supply of disposable film cameras with flash units they discard. They may be free.
Old 03-23-2013, 09:59 AM
Tankhobby

Received 76 Likes on 50 Posts

Disposable camera flash would work fine, just be aware of the voltage needed (usually 1.5-3 volts) and also the large voltage it generates for the flash. I bought several from a surplus electronics house a few years ago, about $1.50 each. I made "target" explosions out of them, looks great! There are also cheap kits you can buy, just be sure the bulb is the small type that can fit in the barrel. The inrush current when it charges is also high so any switch you use should have a hefty current rating.

Wire insulation rating should be high also, don't want to fry something else.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:48 PM
Rustytrax

Can you use a Heng long flash and the 5th channel paired to the fire on whatever you have Ie ch3.  
Old 03-27-2013, 08:21 AM
Tankhobby

Received 76 Likes on 50 Posts

Not sure Idon't have a HenLong unit with flash so I'm not familiar. There are probably infinite hookups to get it to work, depends upon your knowledge and what you are comfortable with. I use a relay with high current contacts to trigger the flash, Iguess the trick is how to control the relay.