Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Clark Boards Tested against Tamiya and SLU

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Clark Boards Tested against Tamiya and SLU

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 06:01 PM
FreakyDude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clark Boards Tested against Tamiya and SLU

So I ran my King Tiger with the Clark TK22 against some Tamiya tanks and also against some Tanks with SLU's. As I thought there was no issue giving or taking hits or no visible issue with damage reduction on the Clark boards.
This was done at the Can-Am Battle Day which was a fun filled great day ( Thanks to the Can Am members that have organized this event by the way ). So not only did I get a great day of tanking I can confirm compatibility issues are non existant.
By the way one of those tanks taking and giving hits with the Clark TK22 was a Tamiya Leopard I think their has been some folks that have said the Clark doesn't work with the Tam Leopard

One little side note is that I have a Heng Long Apple on my KT, In tests with a friend we have achieved accepted hits at greater distances than the limited distances reported by other people.
Today the area we were in was maybe 10 or 15 meters but I did not measure the room so this is a guess,I have accepted hits at another location at a distance of aproximately 25 meters. Once the weather breaks I'll be able to get a good report on distances in the sun as this is what would count the most. I really do believe the distance will be far beyong the
what some have come to accept due to eroneous reporting.

Old 03-23-2013, 06:16 PM
B.A.D.A.S.S.Force

Default RE: Clark Boards Tested against Tamiya and SLU

Great to hear about some real battle experience using the TK22 Curtis! I just hope I get my old boards back soon with the TK22 upgrades.

From what I recall, there used to be an issue with the boards & the newer Tamiya Leopards, but Clark fixed that issue very quickly with an update back when it was first reported.

I would like to see the HL apple do 25-30 meters myself, but with my limited one testing day I had done a fairly long time ago using the HL apple, I was only able to get about 50 - 55 feet, & that was at night with no sun.
I think one issue is that there might be quite a bit of quality difference from one HL sensor's mirrored prism to the next, so distance consistency between different HL apples might not actually be ... too consistent, or at least not as consistent as we would like ...

~ Craig ~
Old 03-23-2013, 06:31 PM
cleong

Received 78 Likes on 64 Posts

Down here in Singapore, we have a Heng Long Panther G equipped with a TK22 and a Tamiya Battle Unit trialling with the rest of us on Tamiya mounts. So far, effort is actually spent bringing the Heng Long/TK22 set up up to Tamiya standards to achieve battlefield parity.

Its useful that I have a Tamiya Panther G to benchmark against:

Old 03-23-2013, 07:25 PM
FreakyDude

so by saying "SoFar effort is actually spent" does that mean NO effort has been spent or It Has taken you some effort? If I am correct I am thinking you mean No effort has been required.

Nice panthers by the way
ORIGINAL: cleong

Down here in Singapore, we have a Heng Long Panther G equipped with a TK22 and a Tamiya Battle Unit trialling with the rest of us on Tamiya mounts. So far, effort is actually spent bringing the Heng Long/TK22 set up up to Tamiya standards to achieve battlefield parity.
Its useful that I have a Tamiya Panther G to benchmark against:
Old 03-23-2013, 07:35 PM
cleong

Pardon my french, quite some effort has been spent bringing that Panther up to speed:

[*]Sorting out the wiring mess (owner is a RC newbie and doesn't know how to solder)[*]The flash and IR receiver circuits use the same 5 pin plug setup and can be plugged wrongly[*]Suspected overheating issue (but could be just weak batteries)[*]Turret traverses a little faster than the standard Tamiya's[*]Mobility issues after getting hit - damaged Tamiyas still have better mobility than the Heng Long (even though it has metal tracks)[/list]
    Some of this can be "dialed in" I suppose. Some of the issues are probably inherent in the Heng Long design, and some could be TK22. It does make a nicer range of sounds than the Tamiya (although Tamiya still has the better fidelity in engine pitch noises). TK22 is generally softer in volume than the Tamiya too. 

I would really need to get a TK22 myself (waiting for a Challenger 2) to begin understanding and setting one up for myself.
Old 03-23-2013, 07:42 PM
Ronan87

Honestly almost all of those are 'read the manual' answers and set it up to what you want.

I haven't heard of TK22's overheating... period. I was even told they are a very good choice for small spaces, since they don't need a fan.
Old 03-23-2013, 07:51 PM
cleong

They are what you say (RTFM), but I'm just sharing what we're trying to do as a group. And having adjustability on all these attributes is one thing, but benchmarking it to a common standard is another. Remember, we want to bring the HL/TK22 up to parity so that we can all have a good game.

Keeping in mind that I don't have a TK22 and am not familiar with it, I hope that future iterations of TK22 allow different profiles to be loaded (e.g. Tamiya-standard, or mess-around-the-backyard, et cetera). Probably a nice case would make the product more polished and complete in appearance.

If you look at my location you will know why - temperatures in the tropics hover around 30 degrees celsius and can top out around 35 degrees celsius (85-100 degrees Farenheit for you American folk). And that's ambient. In the sunny conditions that we play, yes, overheating could be an issue.
Old 03-23-2013, 07:57 PM
Ronan87

Hehe reminds me of my time in Florida... 40-45 degree's celsius durring the day.

I do agree about the option to load profiles. I would gladly pay a bit extra to have the option to easily change profiles (maybe via a micro-sd card?). That would be great.

TK-Profile
Tamiya-Profile
Custom-Profile1
Custom-Profile2

That would make it even easier on the end-user.

They are what you say (RTFM), but I'm just sharing what we're trying to do as a group. And having adjustability on all these attributes is one thing, but benchmarking it to a common standard is another. Remember, we want to bring the HL/TK22 up to parity so that we can all have a good game.

Keeping in mind that I don't have a TK22 and am not familiar with it, I hope that future iterations of TK22 allow different profiles to be loaded (e.g. Tamiya-standard, or mess-around-the-backyard, et cetera). Probably a nice case would make the product more polished and complete in appearance.

If you look at my location you will know why - temperatures in the tropics hover around 30 degrees celsius and can top out around 35 degrees celsius (85-100 degrees Farenheit for you American folk). And that's ambient. In the sunny conditions that we play, yes, overheating could be an issue.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:45 PM
tomhugill

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

It was the older tk29 that are Tamiya leopard incompatiabke. Sadly my club has a lot of these so my leopard is a no go for battleing at meetss.
Old 03-24-2013, 12:27 AM
Strato50

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: Ronan87

Hehe reminds me of my time in Florida... 40-45 degree's celsius durring the day.

I do agree about the option to load profiles. I would gladly pay a bit extra to have the option to easily change profiles (maybe via a micro-sd card?). That would be great.

TK-Profile
Tamiya-Profile
Custom-Profile1
Custom-Profile2

That would make it even easier on the end-user.

There are profiles on the TK22, I think you can present 2 or 3 separate set-ups, for different battle styles or driveability. It's cool.

I tore up the pavement with my KV-2 today with the TK-22, and it was awesome. Tamiya sensor, everything else stock Clark, and it performed perfectly. A Spektrum reliever ate the dust, and I havent been able to get it to work since (i get a QUICK red flash when I apply & remove power...), but I swapped it out for a Turnigy ORANGE and it ran right away. Unless there are other issues with receivers dying in Clarks, I believe this was just a fluke one-off.

Great day today, thanks for coming down Curtis!
Old 03-24-2013, 04:40 AM
FreakyDude

Cleong
From what I see none of these issues are related to the performance of the TK22,
*Turret traverse being faster maybe but really the turret traverse is proportional and it can creep very very slowly. How fast it traverses is up to the operator.
*The Flash and IR reciever on the Clark board do not get plugged in the same connection. The Barrel flash goes into slot J1, IR emitter into J3. The Apple goes into a 5 pin plug yes but plugs one way and can not be plugged in wrong. Onl;y possible mistake here is if you wire +.- sig wrong or wire the the signal LED flashes on the wrong side. This could be done wrongly on any board including Tamiya's.
*Suspected overheat? If it is too hot for the Clark board to be used I would bet it would be too hot for the Tamiya system,m El Mod, DBC etc. You can mod a case to put a fan onto the clark ( Tsull has done this for his Phoenix Arizona meets where 110 deg is the norm in the summer ) but that really is a l;ocal environment thing and has nothing to do with the Clark board.
*Mobility issues - well to be honest you can set preferences with the Clark board as too how much mobility you have when you take a shot. from zero all the way up to turning yourself into a pillbox.
*Wiring mess - That is the owner as you state - Nothing to do with the Clarek Board.

The biggest issue with the Clark board is the preferences. People don't know everything that can be set up as a preference. As an example I like my King Tiger with a slow pivot turn so I set it so that when it turns one track slows or stops making the tank kind of pivot just like the real thing.
Another friend of mine with the TK22 likes the super spin so his tank turns on a dime.

Pardon my french, quite some effort has been spent bringing that Panther up to speed:
    [*]Sorting out the wiring mess (owner is a RC newbie and doesn't know how to solder)[*]The flash and IR receiver circuits use the same 5 pin plug setup and can be plugged wrongly[*]Suspected overheating issue (but could be just weak batteries)[*]Turret traverses a little faster than the standard Tamiya's[*]Mobility issues after getting hit - damaged Tamiyas still have better mobility than the Heng Long (even though it has metal tracks)[/list]
    Some of this can be "dialed in" I suppose. Some of the issues are probably inherent in the Heng Long design, and some could be TK22. It does make a nicer range of sounds than the Tamiya (although Tamiya still has the better fidelity in engine pitch noises). TK22 is generally softer in volume than the Tamiya too.
I would really need to get a TK22 myself (waiting for a Challenger 2) to begin understanding and setting one up for myself.
Old 03-24-2013, 05:54 AM
cleong

Make no mistake, I am not bashing the Clark TK22 in anyway - not when it is so much cheaper than a pair of Tamiya DMD/MFU, and being so much smaller than the two, probably 1/3rd the space! Goes to show how far along electronics technology has come.

In saying that "effort is being spent" in setting up the TK22 is because it comes so adjustable that you probably need to have a basis to compare against in order to get it to perform similar to a Tamiya setup - which is the basis of our club games. Perhaps Clark could have preloaded a Tamiya profile or make it available for download. Its like an RC car. In the hands of a novice, a beginner-level car with fixed chassis settings is better than one that has dozens of adjustments but no baseline setup sheet. 

It was somehow the case that the TBU base wire was plugged into the flash socket and vice versa - both seem to be a five wire plug and could be swapped (see CN2 and CN3). It probably makes sense to mark one of the plugs to ensure correct installation. Fortunately no harm was done to the equipment.

This is a process that we are going through with the TK22 at this point. Only when its set up properly, can it be evaluated fairly against the de facto standard. 
Old 03-25-2013, 03:53 PM
Rustytrax

Where can I get a copy on the instructions for the tk22?
Old 03-25-2013, 03:58 PM
FreakyDude

I'll mail you a set Rustytrax
ORIGINAL: Rustytrax

Where can I get a copy on the instructions for the tk22?
Old 03-25-2013, 05:19 PM
Rustytrax

ten-4

And those 480 are some nice motors. No break in and they worked great @danville on the IS2.

Old 03-25-2013, 06:14 PM
MAUS45

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

If the HL Panther G didn't have the extra rim on the road wheels it would be hard to tell the HL from the Tamiya.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:19 PM
cleong

The other differences include a different Bosch headlight which is easy enough to change, but also a different angle on the lower front glacis plate.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:32 AM
MAUS45

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

You are correct Chung, just not as noticeable compared to the wheels. I know there are a couple of guys on this forum that converted their HL Panther G's to Tamiya lower hulls and wheels to correct the angle and the wheel issue.