Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

What radio would you recommend?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

What radio would you recommend?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 08:48 PM
ProfitOfDoom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What radio would you recommend?

In the next couple of weeks im going to put in a order for 2 tanks "not sure which ones yet" but I was wondering you opinion on radio. Now Im looking to use these tanks for IR battle,and seen pics and videos and looks like Everyone uses something different.
So I want to look at this two way,first is im not sure how we will do with the tanks,will we love it and have our collection grow a couple of models each year or will I spend all this money and be selling these by the end of summer. So not sure if I need radios with multiple memorys or go with the standard 4ch cheapos,or something like the futaba attack 4wd radios? I also seen some vids of guy usings those Turnigy radios from hobby king 9x with a tanker mode,Anyone know about these?
I currently have a Spektrum DX6i,but I wouldnt want to make any internal changes as I use it to fly a few of my planes. Let me know what do you think is the best way to go.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:25 PM
Shark27

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: What radio would you recommend?

Profit, The least expensive way for you to go for a Tamiya tank would be to use your Dx6i and get one of the Hobby King's orange 6 channel receivers, I think they are around six dollars now. I use DX6i transmitters, I just set mine up to drive and steer with the right stick and operate turret traverse and elevation with the left stick, even though it doesn't self center it's not really a problem just takes a little getting used to. I also program my throttle cut button to fire the main gun for battling. Here is a link to some of the battle videos I've shot at Danville. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bg96wUmqmV4 Steve
Old 03-25-2013, 04:25 AM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree with Shark. No need to get another radio. Just use the one you have.

Not so sure about the Tamiya thing though. You can add a DBC3 to a HL Tank, (PLUG AND PLAY) and get it working with your Spektrum radio and have Tamiya compatibility. This would be your least expensive way to expereince RC Battle tanking. I have included a link Demo'ing how easy it is to add a DBC3 to a HL tank

The Tamiya route is a good option, but it will be more expensive, and you will have to build two tanks.

So now you have a couple of ideas to think about

[link=http://battlearmorrc.weebly.com/demo-page.html]Battle Armor Demo[/link]
Old 03-25-2013, 08:07 AM
FreakyDude

Profit   This will be totally up to you and what you want out of the Hobby.
If you like the Hobby and are going to build more tanks get the best radio you can up front or you waste money.
Turnigy 9X - Best available product in my opinion. You can't beat the price, growth potential or uses for this Radio - Outstanding

Spectrum - Pricey but DX6i's have come down in price to $139.  Limited models, Limited programming limited future growth. -OK but there are better
Futaba - see Spectrum but pay more for it. It is a rock solid system though

HobbyKing/HobbyPartz HKT6A and CT6A - Great entry point but limited future growth. easy to use and easy on the pocketbook though. Biggest draw back is the number of stored models.

tactics I have seen used with good results, same as Hitecs, Graupners. But they are all in the slightly higher than mid range price points.

It all goes back to the Turnigy 9X  in my opinion. It may not look super fantastic but it has more in performance than anything else out there.
I am biased though as not only do I sell them I use them
Old 03-25-2013, 09:25 AM
Ronan87

I beg to disagree with FreakyDude.
Turnigy 9x looks great (feels great too!)
Old 03-25-2013, 09:57 AM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

He already has the Spektrum radio, so he doesn't need to buy anything. Can't get much cheaper then that
Old 03-25-2013, 11:54 AM
ProfitOfDoom

I do have a dx61,But will be getting two tanks one for me and one for my son,So I will give the dx6i a go,but im still in need of 1 more radio "If I dont buy used,and one doesnt come with it" I am interested in the 9x,but what about that tank mode? Do you just download it off the web, or Does it come like that from some vendor?
Old 03-25-2013, 12:21 PM
FreakyDude

Profit
The Tank mode you talk about is open software so you can download it, The ER9X, Open9X is also open software which means basicly you can download it. Issue is you need to download a few programs to flash the chips on the Turnigy 9X which is not hard to do really. the caveat being here if you are not good and don't follow instructions you do run the risk of killing your radio. You can buy a smartiepants board and put that in which is too simple but it adds 30 bucks plus shipping to the cost.
Or you can buy one with all this stuff done and just use it. The Turnigy I sell is not cheap but I ship the whole enchilada meaning it is a complete package with slef centered stick, chip flashed, software preferences set, Backlight installed. Programmer board is included as is the reciever.
Just add batteries and off you go. I even do custom splash screens if you want them.
Anyway as you said you are looking at different types I recomend you do your homework and look at the Tanks you are using the Radios with as well.
Think of it as a package and put it all together. I know when I was starting out that could have been sage advice for me. Don't be afraid to ask questions either.

ORIGINAL: ProfitOfDoom

I do have a dx61,But will be getting two tanks one for me and one for my son,So I will give the dx6i a go,but im still in need of 1 more radio "If I dont buy used,and one doesnt come with it" I am interested in the 9x,but what about that tank mode? Do you just download it off the web, or Does it come like that from some vendor?
Old 04-11-2013, 05:02 PM
lockjaw

<html />
Old 04-12-2013, 09:51 AM
thecommander

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Futaba 4YF is all I use in 4 channel Tamiya tanks (75 or 2.4). Cheap, simple, reliable and follows my K I S S principle. I have seen these being dropped many times and they never break or loose their presets.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29263.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	1870765