Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Stug traverse made easy (sort of)

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Stug traverse made easy (sort of)

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 05:34 PM
ausf

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Stug traverse made easy (sort of)

So easy, I left it as is after prototyping, never needed to add to it. It's worked as is since last summer, only issues were with occassional servo chatter, but that was due to low power (Benedini w/amp and DBC are power suckers) or signal loss.

HL's design in the tight space of the Stug is actually pretty good, alloling for vertical movement and removal on the gun at will. To gain traverse, the roof connection has to be removed and mounted to a skid plate. I used two sheets of styrene, one holding both the stock assembly bolts and the screw head to connect to the roof. That screw goes through a bearing in the other skid plate to a nut on the roof exterior (covered by a tarp). everything is lubed and pivots back and forth with nice movement and little play (pic 1).

HL's elevation unit sits next to the gun, using a lever to raise and lower the gun via a channel on the housing. To allow for lateral movement, the elevation unit needs to be moved away from the gun unit, flush with the superstructure. After that, both the lever and channels need to be extended (pic 2).

I used a servo attached to the rear deck. The servo arm pivots right and left in a brass channel, forcing the tail of the gun to move laterally. To accomodate the vertical movement, the channel is curved for the travel arc and extended under the gun's recoil unit (pic 3)

The servo is connected straight to the receiver, the elevation goes through the RX-18 as designed.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23883.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	21.9 KB
ID:	1866987   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg18222.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	16.9 KB
ID:	1866988   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw59453.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	25.6 KB