Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Sherman motor suggestions

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Sherman motor suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 12:42 PM
Rustytrax

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sherman motor suggestions

So this past battle weekend was my first with the Sherman. I quickly discovered it is way under powered after some damge. I'm thinking promax 400s. Any suggestions?
Old 03-27-2013, 12:59 PM
TheBennyB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Sherman motor suggestions

Tony and I both use promaxx 480's with 12 or 13 tooth pinions. This the same set up Tony has in his Pz IV as well. You'll have to drill a new mounting hole in each gearbox for the motors since the
distance from the motor shaft (larger pinion) and first gear is now greater.
Old 03-27-2013, 01:54 PM
tomhugill

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Speed 480s and 10t pinions all the way!
Old 03-27-2013, 05:23 PM
FreakyDude

Rustytrax  take a look at the settings on your board as well. The Clark board you can change the settings so that the damage increases at different rates.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:23 PM
edoubleaz
My Feedback: (1)

Received 65 Likes on 43 Posts

May I interject an opinion that the tank is supposed to be underpowered after damage........ because it's damaged........

Tamiya has programmed a game into these tanks and I agree that changing the pinions is appropriate for speed control and some performance issues....
I have all stock motors in my gear and I don't have a problem with the limitations, I just find ways to not take hits.... Just my two cents.

I fear we are convincing any newcomers they must tear apart their gearboxes before they really get to know their vehicles.

The real tanks only went 24 mph, were cranky to steer and back up, and if they were hit, they lost functionality..... medium and light tanks pretty much blew the hell up.

Just sayin....
Old 03-27-2013, 05:32 PM
Ronan87

Agreed! As soon a sherman takes a hit from a King Tiger, it should blow up

No but seriously, take a look at the Clark settings and mimick the Tamiya one.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:23 AM
Rustytrax

My Shermans are Tamiyas so they don't have the Clarke. I'll have that in a walker and a spare tiger to loan "out".
I have the resin turret, metal tracks and motor plate which added considerable weight to the vehicle. This weight and any bump makes it immobile after hits. I can only assume grass would stop it also.

Maybe it's just my tank but a time & distance test shows it only does 18 at scale speed. Comparing it to any other Sherman at Danville clearly showed it was equal.
I have a Super Sherman that doesn't have these traits. It isn't the fastest on the battle field but it retains mobility after damage.

The goal is to have tanks that are on par with similar vehicles. I'm not trying to get around the effects of simulated damage by DMD.

Old 03-28-2013, 10:59 AM
sevoblast

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

Friction is your enemy. Bearings in all the road wheels and the idlers. That alone will help you when you take hits. What you need is torque, not a faster motor. PM me, I may be able to help you. Also, Deans Plugs for the motors and batteries. All you've got to do is feel the stock plugs after running for a few minutes. Nice and hot. That's resistance, which also bleeds power. All this adds up.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:15 AM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

It's a total package deal, kinda like the fine tuned race car. When all the elements are combined into achieving one thing, then the problem goes away.

I've been criticized on the elimination of the stock idler for the Sherman, and yeah... it "works" and will keep working, but it's not efficient at all. Take one apart and you will quickly see it doesn't even have a bushing in it.

I don't even use ANY connectors on the motors because basically they are not needing to be removed like the battery(s), so I just hardwire/solder them in. Saves space, saves energy, saves space. Oh, I already said that.

So without looking at your tank as far as what's been done already, there's more to it than the naked eye. Plus, a lot of little tricks like sealing out dirt, bracing the hull and gearbox... the list is long.

~ Jeff
Old 03-28-2013, 08:36 PM
Love To build
My Feedback: (30)

I remember running 380 class racing. not good at climbing steepish inclines. I'm putting 480s in my sherman that I'm building now. which pinion for scale speed?
Old 03-29-2013, 10:54 AM
Rustytrax

Cool thanks for the tips guys.
I do have the bearings in the m51 and the idler as well. The E-8 doesn't have any of that so this might be one of the factors slowing it down. Darryl has my stock idler and is making one for the e-8. I'll look into the output shaft bearings as well. That will help seal her up.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:03 AM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

That's really not needed but to each his own. Some foam in that area will seal the deal.

~ Jeff
Old 04-03-2013, 12:03 PM
Rustytrax

What are the differences between the 6v and 7v 400s other than the obvious voltage?