Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Merit/WSN T-34 Build - w/TK-22

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Merit/WSN T-34 Build - w/TK-22

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 08:20 AM
Captain Nemo12

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Merit/WSN T-34 Build - w/TK-22

Thanks guys!

Some new photos to share:

Turret Markings:

Gotta have the Red Star! I painted it by cutting off the pattern from masking tape and then masking off that area of the turret. I really liked the white identification bands around the original turret so I decided to re-paint that on as well, I find it really brings the whole turret together.

In hindsight, maybe the colour I chose for the hull was a bit too green... but on the other hand, the red and white on this green really makes the turret "pop"!

As promised, here are the videos of the servo recoil and elevation mechanisms in action!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNKDYAaCT1Q[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FG-7fF9o5dA[/youtube]

I know that RCU has been having some server issues lately, so if the videos don't show up, you can find them here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNKDYAaCT1Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FG-7fF9o5dA

Cheers!

Nate
Old 04-12-2013, 08:23 AM
MAUS45

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

It Looks Great Nate!!! Just weather it up a bit with a wash and some dry brushing and then seal it with some flat clear coat.
Old 04-12-2013, 02:35 PM
Captain Nemo12

Thanks! I will go with a light weathering on this one, maybe a little bit of rust here and there and then top it off with a flat coat.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:13 PM
Airbrushler

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

once you do a wash and bit of weathering and the flat clear it might tone the green down a bit i always liked the red star on my Russian tanks
Old 04-13-2013, 07:26 AM
Captain Nemo12

Thanks for the advice! I'm not terribly good at doing washes... I tend to get excess paint here and there when I'm dabbing it on. To avoid damaging the base coat when cleaning the excess with thinner and a cotton swab, can I seal the base coat with a flat coat (frosted glass spray) before making the wash?
Old 05-08-2013, 08:56 AM
Captain Nemo12

Hey guys, it's been a while!

I decided to correct the green on my T-34. I didn't want to repaint the whole hull so I experimented with frosted glass spray and a filter. First, I applied about two coats of frosted glass spray, this is what the turret looks like afterwards:

The glossy effect is now gone. Next, I applied a coat of filter using thinned down Tamiya deep green, about 5% paint and 95% thinner. This was then followed by further coats of frosted glass, until the desired shade of green was obtained:

The camera lighting makes it seem a bit more green than it actually is, in reality it is a much more military green now!

Nate
Old 05-08-2013, 09:19 AM
B.A.D.A.S.S.Force

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It doesn't have that "in your face showroom shine" finish anymore ... looks great to me !!!

~ Craig ~
Old 05-08-2013, 09:38 AM
MAUS45

Yes, what Craig said!!! Looks better and I think as you drive it in some duty dirt it will get some natural weathering going on. [8D]
Old 05-08-2013, 05:31 PM
Ronan87

Give it a brown wash next. Good job on 'saving' the paint job
Old 05-12-2013, 07:08 PM
Lincs Winks Wayne

Nate;
I am starting the wiring for my Hooben T-55 / Clark TX-22, have you done anything that will help me to proceed. I have no problem with building kits or scratch, but knowing what to do with the wiring without some upfront explanation and pictures is pretty tough for me.. ( doing my Tamiya 2A6 wiring was easy with the proper instructions.)

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Wayne
Old 05-13-2013, 07:52 AM
Captain Nemo12

Hi Wayne,

I haven't had time to make the tutorial video I mentioned, but to make things easier, could you PM me pictures of the electronic components that you have and their associated wires and connectors? Namely, the drive motors, the turret rotation unit, the gun elevation unit, and the gun recoil unit. I will walk you through the installation step by step.

Nate
Old 05-14-2013, 07:54 AM
Captain Nemo12

Painting the Tracks

I decided to give the tracks a more worn metallic look. I first gave the whole thing a base coat of matte black:

This was then followed by some drybrushing of Tamiya metallic silver on the raised surfaces:

The tracks were then coated with frosted glass clear coat to give them a dustier look and to protect the paint from wear. I suspect that the paint will get worn off eventually, a metal track upgrade will be considered in the future.

Mounted the tracks back on the tank:

Wash

I also gave the hull a dark brown wash, this really helped bring out the recessed details!

All that is left to do is to clean up the excess wash on some of the areas and mount the spare tracks back on!

Nate
Old 05-14-2013, 09:27 AM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just a word of warning. Metal tracks will just about for sure be the kiss of death to the stock Gearbox. You will get excessive gear hopping. I have three of these and the only one where the stock gearbox has lasted is in the one that has plastic tracks.
Old 05-14-2013, 06:01 PM
mortak

Totally agree with yhr.... the wsn gearbox are very weak. Even with the metal gear option that floats around. There's just no bearings holding the gears in place. Metal tracks will stress out your gearbox like no tomorrow. If your thinking about metal tracks.. you might try Daryl Turner's gearbox mod. Does a really nice job and turns it into a very good battle tank. If not, and your pretty good mechanically, try retrofiting a long shaft HL/Mato gearbox (rear portion will need some rework though...) and modifying/beefing up the sprocket. But this will ruin the back portion of your awsome looking tank.

or stick with the plastic tracks... suprised they are very good/strong links... I've worn out a hl and a mato gearbox (hard driving) and still using those plastic tracks...lol... when I get my replacement gears I'm putting in a output shaft bearing.. that should minimize the vibration in that area...

David

Old 05-14-2013, 07:08 PM
Airbrushler

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

the gearbox conversion was lots of fun...lol i have Heng Long Panther G metal gearboxes in mine i was a lot to do

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=10710417
Old 05-14-2013, 09:54 PM
Captain Nemo12

Thanks for the input guys, its nice to know that the plastic tracks are so durable! I did think about putting in the HL gearboxes at the beginning of this build. However, having no access to machining or press-fitting equipment at home means that I can't fit a final drive gear on the HL sprocket shaft. So I can't install the HL gearboxes without having to modify the lower rear hull (Wackywheelz did an excellent guide on modifying his T-34 a while ago, but his website is so long gone).

However, from past WSN T-34 reviews, it seems that there were a lot of issues with gear slippage, partly because the stock WSN electronics drove the motors and gears too fast. With the TK-22 and momentum feature turned on, the motor speed and acceleration curve are just right. At low speeds the tank runs very scale like! I have not experienced any issues with the stock gearbox so far.

Nate
Old 05-15-2013, 03:58 AM
YHR

And you probably won't until you add metal tracks, although in heavy grass my still stock T-34 will skip and struggle.
Old 05-15-2013, 04:10 AM
YHR

ORIGINAL: mortak

Totally agree with yhr.... the wsn gearbox are very weak. Even with the metal gear option that floats around. There's just no bearings holding the gears in place. Metal tracks will stress out your gearbox like no tomorrow. If your thinking about metal tracks.. you might try Daryl Turner's gearbox mod. Does a really nice job and turns it into a very good battle tank. If not, and your pretty good mechanically, try retrofiting a long shaft HL/Mato gearbox (rear portion will need some rework though...) and modifying/beefing up the sprocket. But this will ruin the back portion of your awsome looking tank.

or stick with the plastic tracks... suprised they are very good/strong links... I've worn out a hl and a mato gearbox (hard driving) and still using those plastic tracks...lol... when I get my replacement gears I'm putting in a output shaft bearing.. that should minimize the vibration in that area...

David

I can also give the thumbs up on the DT conversion. Very solid.

Old 06-05-2013, 08:11 AM
Captain Nemo12

Finishing Touches:

With the spare tracks and cables added on, I'm happy to say that I've completed this build! Overall, I really enjoyed building and converting this tank, the TK-22 was easy to install and delivers very realistic performance. I especially like the momentum effect, which eliminates the jerky motor starts and stop, I think also ultimately prevents the stock WSN gears from slipping. The servo recoil and elevation are welcome features, they made motorizing the turret functions extremely easy and straight forward. The stock turret traverse sounds are bit loud compared to the engine sound, but luckily this is adjustable using the programming remote.

I've always wanted a T-34/85 and I'm proud to finally have this tank in my collection!

I hope you enjoyed reading my build!

Cheers,

Nate
Old 06-05-2013, 08:41 AM
ausf

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

She's a beauty Nate.
Old 06-05-2013, 08:54 AM
MAUS45