Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Trying to pick my first Tank!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Trying to pick my first Tank!

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 09:42 PM
White Tiger88

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trying to pick my first Tank!

Well i have finally decided to get into RC tanks after years of model building and wargaming. Problem is i don't know what the best brand is or what i will need to get them running. I am looking at the Following Tamiya kits and am note sure which to get!

King Tiger (My First Choice & Favorite tank ever built)
Panther G (Its a panther enough said)
Panzer 4 (Good old pzkf 4....)

Does anyone have suggestions on where i could look to order any of these tanks from also since locally they want more then tamiya's website........

Thanks

Tiger

Edit:Would want a Tiger 1 but i am holding out for a mid war version.........
Old 04-04-2013, 01:49 AM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: Trying to pick my first Tank!

Although it's not in your country, the [link=http://shop.aaftankmuseum.com/]AAF Tank Museum [/link] has the best service but I don't know what shipping and taxes would be.

Then there's always eBay.

Oh and welcome to RCU!

~ Jeff
Old 04-04-2013, 02:58 AM
sollie

Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts

If you have you're mind set on a tamiya kit and got the money, don't look elswere. I have the KT and JP ( both bought second hand)

Out of those 3 listed I might have to say the panther. The KT is a monster, but the panther is so good looking. I'm rebuilden the JP I bought these day's ( slowly) and I really love the shape it and the Panther has

A little clip of my KT for you , and welcome to the rc tank world :-)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRbTOGLwY80[/youtube]
Old 04-04-2013, 03:42 AM
sevoblast

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

If you really want a Tiger 1 mid version, go for the Tamiya Tiger 1. Converting to a mid is easy with readily available parts which are quite easy to install, including zimmerit if you so desire. The kit itself builds up to an excellent runner out of the box, tracks and idler adjustment are quite strong and OTB detail is excellent. I've got two of them and have built 4 others over the last 10 years.

Second choice would be the Panther. Another excellent build and runner out of the box, but does need detail enhancement if you so desire.

Here's two sections of my sight, one for Panther and one for Tiger 1, plus the main sight link.

http://www.etoarmour.com/products.php?ViewCategory=10

http://www.etoarmour.com/products.php?ViewCategory=20

http://www.etoarmour.com/

This forum is a fountain of information. If you have questions on anything from building, detailing, painting, upgrades etc, just ask. Most everyone is willing to help you. And one more little item. There is no such thing as 'just one tank'!

Old 04-04-2013, 05:06 AM
White Tiger88

I honestly think i am going to go with a King TIger if i can find one for a decent price. I checked out all the webstores i could find and with shipping the basic kit with nobattery'sor anything would be $800 bucks. The biggest downside is i am the ONLY person in my area (that i can find) with any interest in RC tanks most people have nitro boosted cars...... Where do you guys find them second hand or for any sort of deal at all........As i am on a bit of a budget till i get rid of my rather large star wars collections, assorted warhammer stuff, Transformers & some huge Out of Print Dungeons & Dragons well...Dragons -_-
*cough*
Anyhow! how fast does the tamiya king tiger go anyhow? i have never seen one in person.

Edit:Is it a bad thing i would be tempted to run my brotheres RC Truck over with this thing?
Old 04-04-2013, 05:11 AM
jarndice

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

Whitetiger, Not only is it not wrong to run over your brothers r/c truck it should be your first priority, Good luck with your project. shaun
Old 04-04-2013, 05:14 AM
White Tiger88

ORIGINAL: jarndice

Whitetiger, Not only is it not wrong to run over your brothers r/c truck it should be your first priority, Good luck with your project. shaun
If i can catch it.....And live to tell the tale............

This thing tempt's me as a possible second tank down the road since i want to Build my first from scratch..... (Come on big sale on Tamiya kits that doesn't end up costing 800-900 after shipping\customs\Taxs\I hate you customs)

http://www.shop.immortalhobbies.com/...1812121212.htm

Also am i crazy to take on this project when i will have no one to face my tank off against?

Old 04-04-2013, 05:29 AM
paintjockey

I have the Taigen full metal Tiger 1 and it's a beast. It's the only tank I have at the moment so I don't have much to compare to but it runs well and looks good. In my opinion it could use a few minor cosmetic upgrades but most premade plastic models do. The airsoft does nothing for me so I'm going to convert it to muzzle flash and if I'm going that far I figure I'll put IR in it so if I ever get the chance to play it will be ready.
Terry
Old 04-04-2013, 05:33 AM
sollie

Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts

this is out of box speed, and later in the video, reduced. As you can see, it's way to fast. Mine is 'to slow' now after gear reduction but I love it, rather a tad to slow than insane fast

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gKVW-9VbiY[/youtube]

Old 04-04-2013, 05:33 AM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

ORIGINAL: White Tiger88

Also am i crazy to take on this project when i will have no one to face my tank off against?

No, not really as those who do not have Tamiya tanks haven't experienced the building, the choice of how to finish it and then the most important of all... driving a Tamiya tank.

But you can save a bunch of dough and get a cheaper but somewhat effective brand. But if it doesn't bust your budget you gotta have at least one Tamiya tank.

Also, the battle system is extra for the Tamiya tanks.

~ Jeff
Old 04-04-2013, 05:34 AM
White Tiger88

ORIGINAL: paintjockey

I have the Taigen full metal Tiger 1 and it's a beast. It's the only tank I have at the moment so I don't have much to compare to but it runs well and looks good. In my opinion it could use a few minor cosmetic upgrades but most premade plastic models do. The airsoft does nothing for me so I'm going to convert it to muzzle flash and if I'm going that far I figure I'll put IR in it so if I ever get the chance to play it will be ready.
Terry
Exactly what i was thinking however thats down the road for me....First Find a King Tiger, Second Get my hands on it for a decent price, Third Build it, paint it white and weather it as a winter camoed killing machine to hunt shermans and Pershings BWAHAHHAHAAH

Edit:

@Panther

I have the odd feeling i would get a better price and have an easier time even finding a Tamiya Tank in canada for bellow $1500 dollars if we had Tank Clubs and not "Omg i built a super fast car that i will wreck crashing into a wall soon" clubs. (No really i have seen 1200 dollars RC cars explode into plastic bits after hitting walls)