Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Tamiya Tiger 1 or King Tiger, What is better?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Tamiya Tiger 1 or King Tiger, What is better?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 03:13 PM
White Tiger88

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tamiya Tiger 1 or King Tiger, What is better?

Well i now have two offers on the table i am having problem's picking from......... And since i know nothing about what tank is better then the other sound or build wise can you guys give me some tips please? the tanks are

Tamiya Tiger 1: I have been told it has better sound then the King Tiger, and over all runs better

Tamiya King Tiger:I have herd nothing but good things however i am a bit confused to why i am seeing suddenly people saying the Tiger 1 is better.

So does anyone have the pro's or con's of each tank they could share with me? I would rather have a solid easier to run tank for my first!
Old 04-04-2013, 05:30 PM
phasor

Default RE: Tamiya Tiger 1 or King Tiger, What is better?

Hi,

The MFU of both tanks are the same so you get the same sound. If there is a slight difference, it could be because of the speaker enclosure shape variation. The weakest part of the King Tiger is the stock track. Upgrading to metal will surely add weight and require other upgrades, i.e. 3:1 gear reducer to improve torque and achieve more realistic throttle, idler wheel adjuster system, bottom hull stiffener , etc. Hence, the Tiger 1 seems to be the better tank. The imposing look of the King Tiger is hard to ignore though and with all the available upgrades, the issues are negated. Building a Tamiya tank is fulfilling; you might end up buying the two (and maybe more) eventually.

Gerry
Old 04-05-2013, 05:37 AM
heavyaslead

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

The Tiger is better mechanically than the King Tiger in general.

Of course all the issues can be improved with modifications, but OOTB the Tiger is a bit more reliable.
Old 04-05-2013, 06:17 AM
tomhugill

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

The only must upgrade on the king tiger is the rear idlers (which can be sorted with epoxy putty very easily). You don't need new tus to run metal tracks. I have a pair if Tamiya king tigers and tbh they run just fine in stock form.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:41 AM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

If you must choose go with the TI.

~ Jeff
Old 04-05-2013, 12:09 PM
sevoblast

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

For a first build, a Tiger 1 is better. If you want a mid version the changes are cosmetic and do not involve running gear. A late model is all new road wheels.

For a King, the tank is quite good but is also a little dated, originating in the early '70's before current electronics were extant. Here's a few photos of what you will want to do with the chassis of a King, depending on what your purpose is, a Sunday runner or a killing competition machine.

Still can't load photos. Rats.
Old 04-05-2013, 01:25 PM
White Tiger88

ORIGINAL: sevoblast

For a first build, a Tiger 1 is better. If you want a mid version the changes are cosmetic and do not involve running gear. A late model is all new road wheels.

For a King, the tank is quite good but is also a little dated, originating in the early '70's before current electronics were extant. Here's a few photos of what you will want to do with the chassis of a King, depending on what your purpose is, a Sunday runner or a killing competition machine.

Still can't load photos. Rats.
King Tiger will be down the road as i am getting a really good deal on a Tiger 1 new in box! However how much would the upgrade parts cost me?