Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Control preference.

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 11:29 AM
ausf

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Control preference.

I have set my HLs (using DBC and DX6i) to drive with the right stick, throttle and direction, and have all the gun controls on the left. I think I initially did it this was because the Tx's left stick isn't self-centering and I didn't want a runaway with the throttle on the left, but it seems the most natural to me.

Yesterday I was battling my son with my two Tamiyas. I don't get to use them anymore because they do, so this was a rare opportunity for me, but they are set up in the normal Tamiya fashion: throttle and turret on left, direction and gun on right and it was messing me up big time.

There's no right or wrong of course, whatever works for you, but I was curious how most of you guys prefer to set it up.
Old 04-11-2013, 12:18 PM
Buckeye36
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Control preference.

Mine are all set up like yours.
My first RC anything was an HL tank, so that's the way I learned to drive.
Old 04-11-2013, 12:37 PM
B.A.D.A.S.S.Force

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ever since I first picked up and had started using a game pad controller for console & computer gaming (in the 80's), movement was always controlled with my left hand & left stick or thumb pad on the controllers. Right hand always controlled most the other functions, so I can't escape what feels natural to me holding what more or less ammounts to a big game pad.

I understand some people worrying about not having self-centering on the throttle stick, but I actually like it without that feature! Well, I do so far, though I'm sure a time will come where that will bite me in the a** for having it that way ... LOL

Other than the possible issue with the above, I'm really not sure why more people don't seem to like the way I have mine set up, with throttle & direction on left stick & all other tank functions on right stick. Seems like most, or at least the vast majority like the opposite of this way.

~ Craig ~

Old 04-11-2013, 01:34 PM
Ronan87

Gun/Turret control to the left, Drive on the right. Both stick self centered (ImmortalHobby Turnigy 9x).
Now to figure out how to use all those extra switches to activate TK-22 feature's...
Old 04-11-2013, 01:36 PM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

It's been so long since I have ran with mine (and battled too) that I really forget my set up.

I do know it's vastly different than most here have it.

~ Jeff
Old 04-11-2013, 03:26 PM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just copied HL as that was my first tank and I have set up every tank since with Right hand to drive, left for turret control.
Old 04-11-2013, 03:51 PM
Strato50

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

On all my tanks, movement it's right stick, turret and functions left.
Old 04-12-2013, 04:02 AM
ausf

I didn't expect this. [8D]

I drove Tamiya style until the HLs came along, so I assumed most do as well.
Old 04-12-2013, 04:24 AM
NCKT

Drive on the left stick, centering spring added.
Old 04-14-2013, 01:57 PM
Bagheera

NCKT what radio do you have when you added the spring.

John
Old 04-14-2013, 04:07 PM
Green Amphibian

I drive with self centering left stick and non-centering stick for the turret on the right with my DX6i.

Herman
Old 04-14-2013, 08:17 PM
thecommander

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For those like me who used to fly, most of the plane "control" is on the right stick. This has carried over to the tanks. I have set up all my tanks, and everyone that I have sold, to drive on the right joystick and battle with the left. The Tiger I that I sold Herman is the only one I have ever set-up for left joystick driving. Willy uses an even more odd set-up. He devides the driving between the two sticks. I add fire-buttons to everything and self-centering sticks too. If anyone has trouble feel free to sound off and I will try and help you. Simple rubberbands (a longstanding trick of mine at Danville) can work wonders for a short range solution. I've tried them all and in my humble opinion driving on the right stick is the easiest to teach (since 90%+ of us are right handed) and used by 95%+ of the tankers due to greater dexterity. There appears to be no corolation between left handed people and left joystick drivers.

The best advantage to having a majority of the RC tanks out there set-up the same is so that if you loan one out or test drive a buddies, they are all the same. I strongly endorse uniformity and the K I S S principle. But, to each...his own. There is no "wrong" way.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:56 PM
B.A.D.A.S.S.Force

ORIGINAL: thecommander

The best advantage to having a majority of the RC tanks out there set-up the same is so that if you loan one out or test drive a buddies, they are all the same. I strongly endorse uniformity and the K I S S principle. But, to each...his own. There is no "wrong" way.
Yes, I agree 100% with uniformity & K.I.S.S. ... so everyone please start setting up all your radios with driving on the left stick & everything else on the right so I can conform, thanks!!!

haha, only kidding of course .... or maybe not

~ Craig ~

Old 04-15-2013, 08:53 AM
thecommander

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: B.A.D.A.S.S.Force

ORIGINAL: thecommander

The best advantage to having a majority of the RC tanks out there set-up the same is so that if you loan one out or test drive a buddies, they are all the same. I strongly endorse uniformity and the K I S S principle. But, to each...his own. There is no ''wrong'' way.
Yes, I agree 100% with uniformity & K.I.S.S. ... so everyone please start setting up all your radios with driving on the left stick & everything else on the right so I can conform, thanks!!! [img][/img]

haha, only kidding of course .... or maybe not [img][/img]

~ Craig ~

LOL...there is no wrong way!
Old 04-15-2013, 01:07 PM
NCKT

ORIGINAL: Jaws01

NCKT what radio do you have when you added the spring.

John
John,
T4YF, T6YG, T4EXA. All Futaba. I get the self centering springs from the AAF Tank Museum.

Old 04-15-2013, 01:13 PM
NCKT

Also, Just to add to discussion, during the old days of competition at Danville I used to have to drive one of Jame's pershings which he had set-up for driving on the right stick, while my own tank was set-up for left hand drive. It's not THAT big of a deal-entirely possible to do either. I prefer driving on the left because I'm right-handed and my fire button is on the right side.