Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Forces Of Valor Sherman. $199.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Forces Of Valor Sherman. $199.

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 03:31 PM
Old MSgt

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Forces Of Valor Sherman. $199.

I just received the new issue of World War II Magazine and there's an ad from 'The Motor Pool' for an all metal Forces Of Valor M4A3 Sherman for $199.99.

I've been looking thru past posts on here and are wondering what owners think about it.

How well put together are the tracks? What are the road wheels made of? How hard would it be to RC? Would the hull/turret fit on Tamiya Shermans?

Pro vs Con? I'm curious...

Thanks!

Mike in Kentucky
Old 07-19-2013, 03:39 PM
Ex_Pat_Tanker

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Default RE: Forces Of Valor Sherman. $199.

My biggest problem with it is that its an early M4A3 (Ford built ~1600) - and I haven't yet found any evidence that they were ever issued to ETO combat units, despite the "D-Day markings" on the model...?
Old 07-19-2013, 04:24 PM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you can find one for that price snap it up. The tracks are solid, suspension not so good. Buy a mato hull and the Mato metal suspension, and the conversion will be easy.

Here is a thread I did RCing mine a few years ago.

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8245798/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm]Sherman conversion[/link]
Old 07-19-2013, 04:34 PM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

BUY IT! Those usually go for 350 to 399 so it's a bargin.

I should get my copy tomorrow then, so... hmmm?

Jeff
Old 07-19-2013, 08:41 PM
sassgrunt
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here it is on their website. http://www.themotorpool.net/US-M4A3-.../uni85007h.htm
Old 07-20-2013, 05:42 AM
Old MSgt

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Thanks YHR for referring me to your Sherman Conversion posts! It's VERY educating and you've did an EXCELLENT mod!!!

I now noticed the Sherman is listed on ebay for this price. I was also checking out the metal suspension and sprocket/rear idler for the Mato Sherman.

A thought went thru my little brain: What are the chances that FOV has decided to sell off their stock of static Shermans and then coming out with a new RC version? As you said YHR, the tracks are GREAT and hold up to RC use fine. All FOV would have to do is upgrade to the metal suspension and sprockets (like the metal ones for Mato on ebay), make a metal hull, install good gearboxes, and leave out the interior details. Then leave the electronics up to the customer. Heck, they already have production of the tracks and molds for the hull/turret...

The 'Powers That Be' at FOV are obviously WELL aware of the growing 1/16 RC tank hobby and just may be thinking about getting in to that market. They have surely noticed your and others AMAZING conversions.

And now, if they're selling their static Shermans for $200, they could reissue an RC Sherman at $600-700. That would be smart marketing.

This IS just 'wishful thinking' on my part but what are the chances?

Mike
Old 07-20-2013, 07:59 AM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am not sure what motivates them. I sent them email when I first got this tank commenting on the fact that I thought they would do well selling parts of this tank to the hobby crowd. Never did get a response.

I always felt there was untapped potential on that tank, and it was frustrating to know that the molds existed, but were not be fully utilized. Now with an all Metal Mato RC Sherman is just around the corner, the FOV one has a little less appeal then it once did.

The low price might just be a signal that they product stopped moving at its original price.
Old 07-20-2013, 12:51 PM
sassgrunt
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ever since I saw Dan's great build back in 2008, I have been convince that this is a good platform to start with. In working on a couple of builds of my own, I have found out a couple of things that might be of assistance. As soon as Panther F makes me smart enough to post pictures of them, I will.

Like Dan said, the sprockets are plastic, and are cause for concern over time. The best replacement I could find were to use the metal sprockets from the T-81 track for the M26 Pershing, (and, it has to be the ones made by Kenny Kong - the ones made by Impact don't work with it). You have to cut away material from the middle of the sprocket and join them back together with JB Weld or something similar. The overall diameter of the sprocket is a little smaller than the original, but now I won't have to worry about it wearing.

Although the idler mounting is kind of flimsy, the idler wheel itself is an open-spoke type, and really looks great. I have been able to cut down HVSS idler mounts from Impact (I cut them shorter, so that the idler sits closer to the hull), and fit bearing to the idler wheel. The guide teeth mesh well with the track.

The metal tracks on this FOV Sherman are similar to the new metal Heng Long tracks in that they both use a one-piece track shoe, where the connecting links on the side are cast into the track block. (They kind of hang off the front of the block and straddle the next bock; so you only have one pin for each shoe). It sounds like it's not very realistic, but I think they are just great for what we do, and am very satisfied with them. Where they're different is that the FOV track has a smooth inside face, where the Heng Long track has rectangular depressions cast into them. I don't know if they were trying to save material by making them this way, but I think they need to be filled in with epoxy to have a good look to them.. And, for that many track shoes; that's not something I would want to do. And, if you wanted to build Oddball's Sherman from Kelly's heroes, this T-54 track is just right for that.

I don't have issues with the FOV bogie units. I like the way they look and operate, and since the guide teeth on the FOV track is not as tall as on Mato track, the diameter of the return roller is a lot smaller than the one on the Mato bogies. I don't really like the deep-recessed look of the FOV roadwheels, and have changed them out for open-spoke ones that are from a 21st Century 1/18 Sherman, which have been modified to accept Tamiya Sherman rubber tires, and bearings.

Motors are a whole other subject, and I'll wait to comment on that until I can show pictures of them.

Bottom line is that this tank is a nice starting point. Upper hull (which is an early one and has the smaller driver & RO hatches) and turret are metal and look very good. -Mike